3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Hill redman vs big 5  (Read 775 times)

Offline swampthing

• Trad Bowhunter
Hill redman vs big 5
« on: May 28, 2009, 05:53:00 PM »
Curious as to the differences and experience one  has had with the Hill Redman? how do they compare with the bamboo models?

Offline SCATTERSHOT

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Hill redman vs big 5
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2009, 07:20:00 PM »
There are those who will tell you that there is no difference, but I have shot both, and I think the Redman is a bit smoother. Of course, as poorly as I shoot, I'm not sure I should be the judge, but that's my impression.
"Experience is a series of non - fatal mistakes."

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2009, 07:47:00 PM »
I have had both, I'm told that the Big Five is a tad faster. From my experience the Redman was quicker, I like the yew. I think the half breed would be the best of both worlds, yew and bamboo is a great combo.
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2009, 08:54:00 PM »
Never shot one but I love the Wesley and the Cheetah.RC

Offline Matt D.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2009, 10:01:00 PM »
I've owned a bunch of Hill's, and can't tell the difference in shooting qualities between the different models.

Offline SpankyNeal

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2009, 11:23:00 PM »
I'm with Scattershot on this one. I've owned both and the Redman was definately smoother, but the Big 5 was just a tad faster. Not enough to make a hill of beans difference in the real world, but it was noticeable. The more I shoot Yew cores on Hill style bows the more I like 'em!

Regards...Ken
Ken "Spanky" Neal

4 Sunset Hills and counting!

66" 59# "White Dragon"
65" 56# "El Tigre"
67" 47# "Quiet Places"
66" 57# "Lionheart"

"Speed is vital, however it is absolutely worthless when you exchange it for stability and accuracy"...John Schulz

Offline Dick in Seattle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2009, 12:14:00 AM »
Have had them all.  The Redman is very smooth, but for about 2 years a Halfbreed was my "go to" bow.  Great bow and, I felt, a hair faster than the Redman, but speed really isn't what Hills are all about.  They're both great feeling bows, and the wood gives them character.  I've had any number of Big Fives, nice bow, but their "character", plain glass and boo, just never grabbed me.  The Cheetah is another that's a super, super bow... Juniper and boo. In fact, I just finished building one of my own today. Two more coats of finish and I think I'll have the prettiest bow I've ever owned.  So many bows... so little time...
Dick in Seattle

"It ain't how well the bow you shoot shoots, it's how well you shoot the bow you shoot."

Offline Shinken

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2009, 01:06:00 AM »
I really enjoy the contrasting lines in a Hill-style longbow and if you add a dark riser, my two favorite models of Hill bows by Craig are

The Halfbreed = Yew + Bamboo

The Cheetah = Juniper + Bamboo

Find one in your draw weight and enjoy!

Shoot straight, Shinken
"The measure of your life will be the measure of your courage."

TRUTH is TRUTH
even if no one believes it

A LIE is a LIE
even if everyone believes it

Offline GingivitisKahn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2009, 09:05:00 AM »
The only Hill (only longbow, for that matter) I've ever owned is my Halfbreed and I really like it.

Offline David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2009, 09:09:00 AM »
Well, I guess I'll have to be the contrarian here. I own a Redman, a Wesley and a Tembo TD.  Both the Wesley and the Tembo are quite a bit more pleasant to shoot.  Maybe it's just the ones I happen to own, but that is sure my experience.  I have other bows as well and the bamboo cored bows always seem to be sweeter to me.
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Offline Tom Mussatto

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2009, 12:28:00 PM »
I agree with David. In an American style longbow with narrow, deep cored limbs backed and faced with thin glass like the Hills, bamboo has a better “feel” to it than any other core material I’ve shot.

I never could understand the big interest in combining different wood materials in these bow designs, other than the fact bamboo is about an ugly a core material as you can get when under clear glass. All woods have different reaction times or “springyness”. You can see this clearly when you try to match arrows of different woods by static spine figures. When all the materials in a limb are not working totaling in unison you can’t help but have some negative impact on how well the bow feels at the shot, and probably cast as well. Heck, Jack Howard use to even spine his glass before  glue up to help insure his limbs were well balanced, which is probably one reason his bows shot so well.

In recurves or R/D bows of wider, thinner core limbs, where the glass contributes considerably more to the working of the limbs, the core material is probably irrelevant. Foam cores seem to be the rage these days because of their light weight. I’d be interested to see what happens if a narrow, deep cored American style longbow backed and faced with thin glass (like the current Hills) were made with foam cores.

If I had to choose between a pretty bow and a great shooting bow I’ll take the shooter every time. Which explains why my Hills are all made of butt ugly bamboo only. No mix and match for me.
Tom Mussatto

Offline Benny Nganabbarru

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2009, 08:27:00 PM »
I have a Redman, and have a Wesley Special in the making, so I'm looking forward to having an opinion on this soon!
TGMM - Family of the Bow

Offline swampthing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2009, 04:09:00 PM »
Does anybody notice a difference at the shot between the 2? For example, my Wesley has what I'd call a mild thump, not a sharp rap or a dull buzz or "shock", but a mild thump at the shot. Can anybody sense more or less of a thump or is it a different sensation all together?

Offline SCATTERSHOT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2009, 04:14:00 PM »
I don't notice any difference.
"Experience is a series of non - fatal mistakes."

Offline David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2009, 04:42:00 PM »
My Redman definitely has a more pronounced thump than either the Tembo or Wesley.
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Offline Greg Skinner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2009, 05:16:00 PM »
I have a HH Halfbreed(50#), a HH Tembo(57#) (I finished from a blank) and 2 St. Charles Pacific Yew TD's.  The Halfbreed is also a TD.  I used to have a Cheetah that got burnt.  I'm not sure that the core material has much to do with how the shot feels.  My oldest St. Charles(60#) is only 60" and has deep core limbs.  The one(52#) Jay built for me 2 years ago has flatter, wider limbs.  The Halfbreed has a carbon strip under the yew backing strip and the Tembo has a carbon under black glass backing. To me the yew has a smoother feel to the shot, but seems to be slightly slower in arrow speed.  The Tembo is definitely the snappiest of the bunch, although the Cheetah I lost was smooth and fairly quick for not having any carbon backing.  The Halfbreed has more of a "thump" to it than any of the others.  In fact I don't really notice any thump from the other 3. I seem to be more consistent with the Tembo than any bow I've ever owned and I keep thinking I need another one just like it in TD.  I've always liked the overall shooting characteristics of yew, but I certainly would not trade the Tembo at this point. I suspect that there is as much variation from bow to bow of the same material as there is from one material to another.  Maybe I need to get another half dozen or so Hills and see if I can find an answer.
And in the end of our exploring we shall return to the place where we started and know that place for the first time.

Offline SpankyNeal

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2009, 07:15:00 PM »
I agree with David. My Redman had more of a thump at the shot. I suspect that might be true with any of the wood cored bows since the wood is heavier than the boo. I need to own a few more to be sure though!  :bigsmyl:  
I own one of those carbon backed Tembo's too, and it's the sweetest shooting Hill bow i've ever shot!

Ken
Ken "Spanky" Neal

4 Sunset Hills and counting!

66" 59# "White Dragon"
65" 56# "El Tigre"
67" 47# "Quiet Places"
66" 57# "Lionheart"

"Speed is vital, however it is absolutely worthless when you exchange it for stability and accuracy"...John Schulz

Offline pktm

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2009, 09:36:00 PM »
I have 4 Hills, one of them a Big Five and it's a keeper. Nothing fancy about it, doesn't have and tip overlays and it had a chubbier grip than the rest. But it is without question my best shooter. The Halfbreed I have is prettier and the Wesley Special is a real quiet bow. the Cheetah I have is my powerhouse. So I would recommend the Big 5 to anyone looking for a nice solid performer. The Halfbreed wins the looks contest with the Cheetah not far behind. As for a Wesley, how quiet this bow is, might be the one that comes with me this October.
Fundamentally the marksman aims at himself

Offline Romans3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2009, 10:30:00 PM »
this is interesting. I'm going to be able to shoot a few different hills side by side next week. I have a big five (but not for long, it's on the classifieds due to it's draw weight not fitting me), my dad is coming to visit with a wesley and my new cheetah (the big five's replacement) and my brother's coming with his tembo. No redman's in the mix, but it will be interesting to shoot a few side by side.
"conduct yourselves in a manner worthy of the Gospel of Christ" Phil. 2:27

Offline swampthing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2009, 12:06:00 PM »
I thank you all for the input/experiences. I am going to go for it. Redman, 68" 55# @28, I draw 29.5".

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©