3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Point weight help please  (Read 319 times)

Offline Vincenzo

• Trad Bowhunter
Point weight help please
« on: May 28, 2009, 06:14:00 PM »
Hello everyone. I'm new to Tradgang, and this is my first post. I'm hoping I can get a little advise on building my first set of wood arrows. I'm pulling approx. 47#'s from my recurve. I shoot a 28" arrow and I plan on buying wood shafting at 55- 60# spine, 11/32 diameter. Should I go with a 100 or 125 grain field points? Is it just a preference thing??

Offline JRY309

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Point weight help please
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2009, 09:01:00 PM »
I would go with 125 gr. points,very popular size and matches a alot of broadheads.I always used 125 gr. points because that was a rule requirement in IBO rules for longbow.I think 125 gr. gives a decent FOC and always seemed to work well.

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2009, 11:34:00 PM »
You will probably do best with at least the 125 gr points.  Leave your arrows a little long to start and shorten them as you tune them to the bow.  It's easy to make them shorter, putting the wood back on is a different task.
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Offline James Wrenn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2009, 06:52:00 AM »
If you plan on useing the arrows for hunting later on go with the 125s.Many more broadhead options that way.If all you are going to shoot is targets it really don't matter.

I would get several weight points in case the arrows don't fly as well as they should and you can change points to see what works best.Get the best flight you can and don't worry about what weight works out on the front.jmo
....Quality deer management means shooting them before they get tough....

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©