3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Make a bomb proof stumping arrow (video)  (Read 1330 times)

Offline ishoot4thrills

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Make a bomb proof stumping arrow (video)
« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2009, 03:06:00 PM »
Man, that was a great video there! Thanks a bunch!

I will be using this method for my arrows. I have brass HIT inserts already installed. If I put the glue inside the footing and on the outside of my carbon arrow, I'm gonna be getting glue inside my carbon arrow. Not good!

Do I have to put glue on the inside of the footing too?
58" JK Traditions Kanati Longbow
Ten Strand D10 String
Kanati Bow Quiver
35/55 Gold Tip Pink Nugents @ 30"
3 X 5" Feathers
19.9% FOC
49# @ 26.75"
165 FPS @ 10.4 GPP (510 gr. hunting arrow)
171 FPS @ 9.7 GPP (475 gr. 3D arrow)
3 Fingers Under

Offline Noelkman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2009, 06:03:00 PM »
Originally posted by Friends call me Pac:
Gorilla Gru is cheaper than Gorilla Glue if you happen to run across some while shopping.    :)  

Glad everyone has liked the videos.
Thanks for the video.

Have you tried one using water to activate the Gorilla Glue? I wonder how it would work putting a thin coat on the shaft and just water in the insert. Might expand too much.

Offline Friends call me Pac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2009, 06:30:00 PM »
Originally posted by ishoot4thrills:
Man, that was a great video there! Thanks a bunch!

I will be using this method for my arrows. I have brass HIT inserts already installed. If I put the glue inside the footing and on the outside of my carbon arrow, I'm gonna be getting glue inside my carbon arrow. Not good!

Do I have to put glue on the inside of the footing too?
I coat both areas that will make contact.  Some goes on the shaft and some goes on the inside of the footing.  Slide the footing in place and wipe the excess away with a paper towel.

I don't know if you can foot an arrow with an insert in it already, never tried it.  Thinking about it I don't think I can do it to my arrows because the lip of the insert rests on the footing.  The idea being with the footing firmly glued in place and the insert lip resting on the footing the insert can not be pushed back into the shaft.  Otherwise my footing wouldn't make any difference at all.
USAF Retired '85-'05

An old hand me down recurve sparked the fire, Trad Gang fanned the flames.  There is no stopping now.  Burn baby burn!

Offline oldskool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2009, 12:20:00 AM »
CHX 58in 44@28 CHX 58in 52@28

Offline metsastaja

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: June 23, 2009, 11:53:00 AM »
Great work Pac.  Very informative and nicely done.
Les Heilakka
TGMM Family of the Bow  
Some times the uneventful nights are just as good if not better than the eventful ones

« Reply #25 on: June 23, 2009, 11:59:00 AM »
Could you put up a link--I can't get this video from here. Thanks

Offline Kingwouldbe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: June 23, 2009, 12:03:00 PM »
Pac awesome video, I do everything you do except I don't drop it   :p   LOL

Offline ishoot4thrills

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: June 23, 2009, 08:48:00 PM »
Originally posted by Kingwouldbe:
Pac awesome video, I do everything you do except I don't drop it    :p    LOL
Now that right there's funny!    :smileystooges:    :p
58" JK Traditions Kanati Longbow
Ten Strand D10 String
Kanati Bow Quiver
35/55 Gold Tip Pink Nugents @ 30"
3 X 5" Feathers
19.9% FOC
49# @ 26.75"
165 FPS @ 10.4 GPP (510 gr. hunting arrow)
171 FPS @ 9.7 GPP (475 gr. 3D arrow)
3 Fingers Under

Offline Dave Bulla

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: June 23, 2009, 11:33:00 PM »
Great video!

Ya got me thinking...

I'm lazy in general but I'm picky about fit and finish too and watching you sand the shafts by hand to fit the footing gave me an idea that may help.  The deburring tool you used got my mind relating to reloading stuff...

I use the old fashioned hammer operated Lee Loaders for some of my rifle hand loading and in straight wall calibers like pistol ammo and my 45-70, there is a case mouth expander that is used to just barely flare the case mouth for easier bullet insertion.  (Hold on moderators, I promise, this IS archery related...   :)   )

Anyway, somebody posted inside diameters of the aluminum shafting and they were all from .294 to .317" in the 22xx series of aluminums.  I'm wondering if a case mouth expander from something in the .30 to .35 caliber would be just the ticket for belling the end of the aluminum shaft.  The cool thing is, if any of you have used a Lee Loader you know that it is a hand held "through" type die.  The pistol calibers have a built in case mouth crimp ridge inside.  The die could easily be slid down the shaft from the nock end and it would contact the lip of the aluminum shaft just like a case mouth.  I bet medium hand pressure would be plenty of force to crimp the aluminum footing nicely and remove the "bell" that was put on it initially.

Just had another thought... I'm SURE it will work for footing woodies in the 23/64" class.  You would use a .357 die as we all know that a .38 or .357 case makes a perfect fit slip on blunt!

You could actually press fit the aluminum footings onto the shaft which should be even stronger.  It would be especially beneficial on wood arrows where consistency of roundness and diameter is not as good as carbons.

Unfortunately, I don't have any of these dies in a size that would work.  Does anyone have a pistol die set in 30 to 32 cal for the 22XX size carbon arrow footings?  .357 would probably work for 23/64 diameter woodies.

p.s.

If we want to keep the firearms/reloading talk to a minimum, pm me instead of posting it here.  I'm all for archery only talk here and so far I think it all pertains enough to satisfy the requirements but I don't want to steer it off course.
Dave

I've come to believe that the keys to shooting well for me are good form, trusting the bow to do all the work, and having the confidence in the bow and myself to remain motionless and relaxed at release until the arrow hits the mark.

Offline Dave Bulla

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: June 24, 2009, 05:05:00 PM »
Ok, there's gotta be somebody reading this with the right caliber Lee Loader to verify if it would work.  

Any takers?
Dave

I've come to believe that the keys to shooting well for me are good form, trusting the bow to do all the work, and having the confidence in the bow and myself to remain motionless and relaxed at release until the arrow hits the mark.

Offline Jack Guard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: January 02, 2010, 11:18:00 PM »
This is a great thread.  Thought I would brig it back up.  Thanks Pac
TGMM Family of the Bow
Proud Member of the Twister Twelve

Offline Iron

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: January 03, 2010, 12:02:00 AM »
This comes at a great time for me....thanks a lot for these videos...

Jason
"It is what it is,improvise, adapt, and get it done!"

Hunter's moon 49@28"
1973 Kodiak Hunter 55#@28"
1970 Kodiak Hunter 50#@28"
1970 Super Kodiak 45#@28"
1965 Kodiak magnum 47#@28"

Offline boog21

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: January 03, 2010, 12:09:00 AM »
I don't know if you can foot an arrow with an insert in it already, never tried it. Thinking about it I don't think I can do it to my arrows because the lip of the insert rests on the footing. The idea being with the footing firmly glued in place and the insert lip resting on the footing the insert can not be pushed back into the shaft. Otherwise my footing wouldn't make any difference at all.

Thanks for the great videos.  I've destroyed many of my 2117 shafts while stumping.

In your post you said the insert lip rests on the footing.  Does sanding the carbon shaft remove enough material to cause the lip of the insert to overlap the aluminum footing?

Offline Buckwheaties

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: January 03, 2010, 01:14:00 AM »
I've used Gorilla glue for other things and have always used water according to bottle directions. It foams and foams while drying. I take it (question) that by applying it as you describe that foaming isn't a problem?? Maybe it's the wayer that makes it foam?
"Don't listen to what they say, watch what they do."

Offline Gapmaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: January 03, 2010, 03:40:00 AM »
Looks like a stout arrow--I'm gonna have to make me up some. Good job.  :)
"Just passing through"

Online Elkchaser

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: January 03, 2010, 09:26:00 AM »
Originally posted by chupa:
In case some of you do not realize the Easton arrow numbers designate measurements. The first 2 numbers are 64ths of an inch outside and the second set of numbers are the wall thickness in thousandths.  So a 2216 is 22/64" outside with a .019" wall.

Great info Rick, but I think you meant the outside wall thickness on this example would be .016".

Thanks for the videos Pac. Well done.
No matter where you go; There you are.......

Toelke Lynx RC 58", 51@28”

Offline Dale in Pa

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: January 03, 2010, 10:08:00 AM »
Great video Pac. Been doing mine like this for years. I use leftover Smooth On from my bowmaking. I also epoxy my nocks in so they never pop out.

If you do break a nock you can carefully drill out the old one and replace it.

Offline RonH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: January 03, 2010, 10:32:00 AM »
Great video Pac. I will be trying your system as every thing is frozen solid around here. Hitting a stump is like hitting a rock right now.........

Offline wisconsin wood butcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: January 03, 2010, 11:17:00 AM »
that was good .. would/could / should you put a nock ring on a already damaged [wont hold a nock very long] arrow to  save it or should i shorten it from that end and refletch?

Online Bob Walker

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: January 03, 2010, 11:38:00 AM »
Hey Jack, Thanks for bringing this back to the top!

Pac, This is a GREAT Video! Thanks, so much, for taking the time to do it and post it. We used to get quite a few "How To" posts but not as much anymore. This is the way to "Give Back" to tradgang. It really helps the newcomers and old timers alike!! Thanks again!
Philippians 4:13

TGMM - Brotherhood of the Bow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©