3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: The Adventure of Hope and Faith 2009/2010  (Read 6781 times)

Offline LITTLEBIGMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: The Adventure of Hope and Faith 2009/2010
« Reply #100 on: October 16, 2009, 09:22:00 AM »
Finally a morning with stars over head! I don't know when that last occurred.! Since I didn't have a lot of time to hunt this am i went to the beet field and sat in the DB with my new MT whitetail decoy. I have had good success over the years with a decoy but this was the first time I have used this particular model. i must admit being able to fold it and attach it to the back pack is a real plus. Hopefully this will distract a deer. and the view from inside   Well I didnt see any thing this am but it was good get out, more later in the day
Make a life, not a living

Offline Travisc406

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #101 on: October 16, 2009, 02:06:00 PM »
Persistance you got it!!!
Never let the truth get in the way of a good story....

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #102 on: October 18, 2009, 05:20:00 AM »
let's hear it bud    :clapper:
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline LITTLEBIGMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #103 on: October 18, 2009, 03:37:00 PM »
ok so I have some catching up to do. Well some work colleagues arrived mid day Friday for a weekend of hunting. Plans were laid and I dropped each off at selected parts of the farm. Both men are compound shooters maybe some day i'll get them converted. We all had deer on our minds and couldnt believe it when we met at dark and none of us had seen any deer. Brian had a flock of turkeys come in and feed below him including two toms but alas no turkey tag. Too bad Faith and i hadn't been there instead as I do!

Around the campfire we laid out our plans for the next day. Saturday was cold and foggy here is the view from my Saturday am stand   this is a really neat spot up a deep ravine . great visibility here but again no deer other than one in my headlamp on the way in.

After three hours I was cold and decide to pick Brian up and then meet up with Dallas and my nephew Justin who arrived early this am. I snapped this photo so you could the uniform of the day  

Offline LITTLEBIGMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #104 on: October 18, 2009, 03:58:00 PM »
I had an errand to run and driving off the farm I passed Justin and Dallas at the end of the drive way looking at the deer trail coming off the neighbors hay field across the road from my mail box and into the bean field adjacent to my place. On the way back from town , I parked the car and walked up into my woods near the spot they looking at. i have 23 acres on this side of the road, all of it steep bluff face. This little corner of my place gets hunted very slightly. its filled with invasive  buck thorn and I haven't begun to work on it yet. i do have one stand half way up and Faith and I hunted it once earlier in our time together.  About 50 yards above the road the buckthorn thins a little and several deer trails coming down the bluff merge into one and then end at the fence where the deer jump and enter the neighbor's pasture. Then they go down the steep bank , cross the road and go into the beans. I found a tree on the down slope side of the main trail about 20 yards from the fence.  I went back , got Dallas , a tree stand and tree stick and we quickly and very quietly hung a stand. This hill side is almost  impossible to hunt in afternoon as the thermals alert the deer to your presence almost as soon as you step foot into the woods. But we were betting if I stayed low enough and the deer didn't move till very late i might get away with it as the afternoon thermals may work in my favor.

Offline LITTLEBIGMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #105 on: October 18, 2009, 04:48:00 PM »
Around 4 pm I walked the short distance from hunters camp, down the driveway, crossed the road and climbed the steep bank. cut thru the head high rag weed and ducked into the buck thorn .  It took just seconds to climb the tree , hoist Faith and settle in. As i feared, the dental floss on Faith's string floated up hill. I hoped what ever deer were bedded, were high enough that my scent would dissipate some what.

About 6 pm I turned in the tree stand to face up hill ever hopeful the thermal would soon switch. Like a wish being suddenly granted the floss began to float in the opposite direction. Ten minutes later I spotted deer legs approaching from above and on the trail going closest to my tree. A fat 6 pointer was on his way. He fed as he approached and I held my breath. I turned slightly to the left hugging the tree. This was certainly going to be the smell test for this spot. He stopped at 5 yards and stood staring ahead out in to the pasture. Never lifting his nose he continued on , hopped the fence and was off to the bean field. Made it I thought!  Now bring me a shooter buck or an adult doe!  Time ticked by and day light started to fade and yes another set of legs were coming down the same trail.  i prepared for the shot but suddenly the doe turned left and was veering straight down the hill. I rotated right 180 degree and was almost facing the tree trunk. An easy shot had suddenly changed to a very challenging one. She was in the thick brush and ahead of her about 10 yards was an opening with a rotten log laying in full view. I wasn't even sure if the log was on the trail but thought if she steps in front of it I would shoot. She stepped right where I needed her to be and Faith didn't hesitate.  I have been impressed with Faith's speed and at the time of the shot it seemed like  the deer exploded. Since I had real turkey feathers without anything bright on the shaft I honestly could not see the arrow strike. But by the way the deer exploded thru the fence into the pasture and then crashed back into the woods, I was sure she was down.  I lowered Faith , climbed down and moved to where the deer had stood at the time of the shot. There was good blood with in a few feet and everything felt just right. I headed out , to wait for help and needed to shed some clothes. Returning an hour later all of us with good light in our hands  we were assured by the blood sign that she wasnt going to go far or be hard to find. before she went 20 yards and crossed or crashed  thru the fence we found the bottom half of the arrow which clearly passed thru and broke off as it was exiting her body. Blood spray was evident as well as bubbles in the blood. Crossing the fence into the short pasture grass was easy as was following her blood in it. We crossed 50 yards of pasture and started go up the hill and then into the neighbor's woods. ( I called and asked for permission by the way) This time she went under the fence and again great blood on the ground, on bushes and small tree trunks that she crashed into. Then things went goofy. Suddenly it seemed we had circled back on to the same trail , which we had. She was bouncing off the 4 inch buck thorn trunks like a pin ball and she ran in a big U almost doubling back on her own trail. We were finally able to sort thing s out and picked up the correct path of travel. Then we found the rest of the arrow , which also seemed to have fallen out the bottom of her chest.  Good thing i had a little reflective tape just below the nock. But now the blood trail had turned in to a fleck here, a dot there, a wet spot in the dirt.  To say I was suddenly worried is an understatement.  We picked our way for next 30 yards or so. Finally the blood got a little better and a little better and then there she was. I have never seen a deer die like this. She was laying in the middle of the trail, all four legs folded under her and her neck extended like she was asleep.             this was how she was before we moved her.  My arrow entered high just behind the last rib on her right side and exited between the 4th and 5th ribs on her left. I took out the left lung and nothing else. Fortunately I was shooting a three blade (WW) which made a really nice exit hole. You can see the entry wound in this picture              . I was very happy to have found her.

I think its time for Faith to move on,  my longbows are getting jealous and its time I paid them some attention. If some one wants to tell me who gets Faith next, I'll see she  gets on her way.  Thanks to Faith, her maker  and some friends who helped track,  I 've  got to go now and butcher some prime venison.

Online swp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #106 on: October 18, 2009, 08:41:00 PM »
Congrats Jim! Nice looking doe.
"People say you can't go back, its like when you get to the edge of a cliff and you take one more step forward or you do a 180 degree turn and take one more step forward. Which way are you going? Which one is progress?" Doug Tompkins

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #107 on: October 19, 2009, 06:03:00 AM »
Wow Jim, That's just awesome, I'm glad I got Miss Faith into your hands bud....congrats!!!

Thank you so much for taking the time posting all the pix and hunts with her. I know how time consuming that can be, greatly appreciated my friend
   :notworthy:

Your farm looks to be an incredible place, truly a little slice of heaven

Wow, way to go!!!!

I'll send a PM so you get her moving along to the next fella......
Curt } >>--->   

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #108 on: October 19, 2009, 08:17:00 AM »
Dang that was exciting!!  Glad one of our girls got blood on her.

Congrats on a fine hunt and story!!

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #109 on: October 19, 2009, 08:50:00 AM »
Thanks for Sharing Sir.....great story and pics!!!

I hope all is well with Matt...he still has Hope and I haven't heard from him.  I'll try and call him again today.
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline LITTLEBIGMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #110 on: October 19, 2009, 10:01:00 AM »
Thanks guys good luck to the next happy hunter, Faith will be on her way tomorrow.

Online Rick Wiltshire

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #111 on: October 19, 2009, 11:33:00 AM »
I am in line for HOPE in November.  Any word on how she is doing?  Rick

Offline tradtusker

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #112 on: October 19, 2009, 02:35:00 PM »
Fantastic Stuff Jim    :notworthy:    :clapper:    :clapper:
There is more to the Hunt.. then the Horns

**TGMM Family of the Bow**

Andy Ivy

Offline Brent Rudolph

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #113 on: October 19, 2009, 09:19:00 PM »
Enjoyed the hunt. Thanks for taking us along. Congrates!

Brent
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Travisc406

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #114 on: October 24, 2009, 07:04:00 AM »
Well, Last night I got home and found the pink slip in the mail for Faith. I went straight to the PO even though it said I couldn't pick her up until monday. The Post office Clerks are awesome at my PO because they told me to come back at 5:30 closing time and they would make sure I got her. They delivered. I am very impressed with the quality of the bow and how smooth it is to draw. I was late for a dinner date because I had to shoot her. just a touch of adjustment on the string and I am gonna hopefully take er her out this morning for a little stump shooting and dinking around(rain and 20-30 mph winds). The gun season starts sunday so I am gonna do a little final prescouting in a primitive archery only area and Sunday morning I will be in orange up a tree just Faith and me. Thanx LittleBigman for the early arrival. I hope I can do half as well as you.

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #115 on: October 24, 2009, 10:51:00 AM »
Good Luck Travis!!
Curt } >>--->   

Offline Travisc406

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #116 on: October 24, 2009, 10:58:00 AM »
thanx Guru

Offline LITTLEBIGMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #117 on: October 24, 2009, 11:03:00 AM »
Best of luck Travis! You will have fun for sure! .

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #118 on: October 24, 2009, 12:21:00 PM »
Go get em Travis!!

Glad you and Faith are getting along so well.

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline Travisc406

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #119 on: October 24, 2009, 10:14:00 PM »
Okay, so I had just enough time to go and do some scouting and seen quite a few deer, good sign and some elk. Season starts tomorrow and I have 2 spots I may sit. One will be a ground attack and the other I will have to use the self climber. The number of people that may be there will determine the decision. here is some pix...

Practicing went well.

My wife just missed the shot can you see the stump on the other side if the river?

here it is...

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©