3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: The Adventure of Hope and Faith 2009/2010  (Read 6792 times)

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: The Adventure of Hope and Faith 2009/2010
« Reply #160 on: November 17, 2009, 09:01:00 PM »
Thanx Andy     :thumbsup:    

We'll( Miss Faith and I) be hunting tomorrow all day. A long morning down in Westchester Co.....then pack up, head toward home and hunt the afternoon close to home as I need to be with the kids by 6:00pm.

I should have plenty of pix to share...hopefully some involving "red"     :pray:  

Ya'll keep your fingers crossed for us....
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline Travisc406

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #161 on: November 17, 2009, 10:42:00 PM »
fingers crossed!!!!
Never let the truth get in the way of a good story....

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #162 on: November 18, 2009, 09:38:00 PM »
Well I had an awesome first hunt with Miss Faith Dryad!

When to a spot that I'd been to 2 times already this year and had only seen one deer. But I knew the potential of this area,and knew it was only a matter of time till I really got into some deer.

Today was the day!

I was few minutes behind schedule this morning, not a lot, but a few minutes later that I would have liked. Didn't think it was a big deal till I realized after climbing 20 ft up in my Lone Wolf that I didn't have my harness on!  In my haste to make up some time, I'd somehow overlooked the most important part of my equipment!

I thought about getting down, and by all rights I should have immediately. But I'd taken a day off of work to have this morning to hunt, and call me hardheaded or stupid, but I knew if I got down and walked all the way back to the truck that my morning would be ruined. Of course that's what I should have done, but I stayed up. I'll never do it again!  No way, no how...didn't care for "that feeling" at all.....

So shortly after sunrise I couldn't help but take some pix of Miss Faith...

•  

•  

•  

Then the "flood gates" opened and deer started showing up like crazy!  Bucks chasing does, sparring, and some of the loudest grunting I've ever heard...incredible fun!

Most of it was happening about 100yds. away on what came to resemble a "dancefloor"....it's the spot above the top stonewall....

•  

Some of the deer came close......Mama with 3 fawns

•  

Mama...one very sharp deer!

•  

Up to this point I'd already seen about(hard to keep track) 6 bucks,all 1 1/2yr olds, and probably 10 does and fawns. Then as I was watching things up on the "dancefloor", I hear something coming up behind me.  I turn and look to see another buck walking right at me. At first I thought it was a deer I wanted to shoot,so I grabbed Miss Faith for the first time with "serious intention".

But the more I looked, he too was a 1 1/2 old buck with a small barely 7pt rack.  I let him walk by at 20yds.  I just couldn't bring myself to shoot him even though I have multiple buck tags, and I was shooting Miss Faith. I was just too early in the morning, and with everything going on I figured it was only a matter of time till something big showed up.

Their was a slight lull in the action between 8:30 and 9:00, but shortly after 9:00 this little fella chased another doe with 2 fawns right by me and then stayed around to pose for some pix....
Curt } >>--->   

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #163 on: November 18, 2009, 09:51:00 PM »
•  

•  

•  

I managed to stay in my tree till 12:00 noon. All in all I ended up seeing 9-10 bucks, all small, and about 15 does and fawns.

A much fun as it was, it was a relief to get back on "terra firma". Not having my harness had worn me out mentally!  It was time to head for my truck for a quick bite and siesta...I was very excited for the afternoon hunt to say the least!

On my way to my truck I stopped to take a few more pix.....

•  

VPA Terminator...this is the 250gr. screw-in, 1 1/4" wide version....a very nice broadhead.... that I'm looking forward to putting to good use!

•  

Tomorrow....the afternoon hunt....
Curt } >>--->   

Offline bow loving man

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #164 on: November 18, 2009, 10:27:00 PM »
Sounds like a great morning, albeit a little unnerving without that harness  ;)   Good luck and I am looking forward to the rest of the story!
"...on earth as it is in heaven..."

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #165 on: November 19, 2009, 08:11:00 AM »
And????  Where is the rest of the story.  It is tomorrow or today or something.

LOL

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline JDinPA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #166 on: November 20, 2009, 10:21:00 PM »
Good luck Curt.

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #167 on: November 21, 2009, 05:40:00 PM »
Ok, sorry for the delay I was having uploader problems..

So the after the morning, I had high hopes for the afternoon. I set up right on the edge of the "dance floor" where most of the activity was centered in the morning.....

Here's the area I was covering....

•  

•  

A well used trail leading to the "dance floor"...

•  

•  

And some of the sign that was all around me....

•  

•  

•  

•  

As soon as I settled in I saw a doe fawn about 200yds. away and watched her till dark work her way right to me. At last shooting light she was 20yds. away and she ended up being the only deer I saw all afternoon!

I couldn't believe it...that's hunting!

It sure was a great 1st day spent with Miss Faith.
Curt } >>--->   

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #168 on: November 21, 2009, 05:41:00 PM »
Today's hunt is coming up...it includes a launched arrow!
Curt } >>--->   

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #169 on: November 21, 2009, 08:23:00 PM »
Given my past history with bowhunting during gun season....
 http://tradgang.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=39;t=000044

I was a bit leary to go this morning. But my bowhunting only spot in Westchester Co. wasn't an option today. So it was  opening day of gun season around here, or don't hunt.

Now I still won't hunt just anywhere during the gun season. As a matter of fact I won't hunt anywhere that I think I'll be share the woods.

I have a spot that is a good funnel created by terrain, a river, and a house. Small woods, urban area, and I've never seen anyone else there.

I even hesitated getting up when my alarm went off this morning, and that never happens!  I laid in bed contemplating  whether I should go.... gun season, a mile walk in just to avoid spooking the deer that might come by.....hmmmmm...

But I've learned over the years that days that I've thought about not going, but forced myself to go, have almost always produced good action. So that was the deciding factor.  After 10 min. of laying and deciding I jumped out of bed and hit the shower!

Fast forward 1 1/2hrs......

Sunrise over the scenic Hudson River......

•  

Shortly after taking that picture and putting my glove back on I heard something running. Figuring it was one of the many squirrels that are a constant part of hunting this stand, I turned and sure enough....there was one running at top speed. I heard something else coming as well and looked to see further back expecting to see another squirrel.....Here comes a coyote  at a fast trot, closing fast! It was headed for my shooting lanes about 14yds. away!

I whipped around and grabbed for Miss Faith. I had to do it as fast as I could, taking the chance that it might see the movement because if I didn't, it would be thru my shooting lanes before I could even be ready to shoot, and I wouldn't get a shot anyway if I tried to do it slow.

Turning back around quickly with Miss Faith, it was still coming and I was ready for a quick shot as is the norm with a coyote.

But all of a sudden it pulled up and put it's nose in the air!  I had the wind, but it seemed like it had maybe gotten a bit of scent. It turned and started to circle to get downwind.

Now my experience with coyotes is that they don't stick around at the slightest hint of a hunter. So maybe it just "sensed" something, guess I'll never be sure.

But as it started around downwind, it ran into an almost impenetrable wall of brush and stopped to lift it's nose and check the wind again. Satisfied that all was kinda ok, it circled back around on the the bench it was on to begin with, and started back toward me on it original path.

When it got to the same spot it stopped the first time, it stopped again to contemplate things.....

It stood for a couple seconds, then it almost seemed like it wasn't quite sure, but decided to "go for it", and broke into a trot, closing very fast again!

There was no way to even try to shoot at this bugger as fast as it was moving. So as it crossed broadside at about 14yds. I tried to stop it in my shooting lane with a whistle....a second louder whistle stopped it and put it on high alert.

Miss Faith's limbs sprang forward and sent a VPA Terminator tipped Vapor 3000 on a deadly path!

Of course, at the shot the coyote was already taking evasive action. Wheeling toward me in an attempt to turn and run back the way it had come from. But it's duck, turn , and run wasn't quite quick enough!

The arrow hit with a "crack", and the 'yote's back end went down. But that hardly slowed it down as it attempted to get away. As it flipped, fell, and flopped I could see the blood spraying even in the low light.

After quite a "battle" that lasted about 40yds. and about 10 seconds...it was over!

In this pic you can clearly see the scuffed leaf trail it left along the bench....

•  

•  

Close up from the stand....

•  

Again from the stand....Like I said earlier, I thought I could see blood spraying as it tried to retreat.....

•  

•  

I was ecstatic! Not only had I just shot my 3rd bowkilled coyote, but I'd done it with Miss Faith!

Because of a prior commitment of my wifes, I had to get home by 10:00. So that left me with about an hour to "hang and hope" that one of my target bucks would also try to use the funnel.  I knew I wanted plenty of time to take pix and get my prize out of the woods......

After an hour....no deer, so it was time to get down......

•  

More in a bit....
Curt } >>--->   

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #170 on: November 21, 2009, 08:49:00 PM »
Although I saw it go down and had been looking at it for over an hour, I couldn't help but go over and check out the bloodtrail....profuse as I thought it would be....

•  

Walking up to it...

•  

•  

Somehow I never did find the top half of the arrow(I'll have to try this winter), but the important half was laying about 2 ft. where she lay...

•  

•  

One extremely happy hunter!

•  

•  

•  
Curt } >>--->   

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #171 on: November 21, 2009, 09:04:00 PM »
•  

Where the arrow entered....later examination showed the Terminator hadn't broken her back, but had definitely damaged it enough to cause the uncontrolled back end while trying to escape, and with the amount of blood on the ground, it had definitely cut the big artery running under the spine....

•  

The arrow exited at the front of the opposite back leg. It actually came out, went back in the inside and out the outside of the off leg. Creating 3 holes in the process.....

•  

Not exactly an ideal shot, but as fast as coyotes are, and her "evasive action" at the shot...it worked!

The VPA Terminator was still razor sharp and is already screwed into another arrow. This was the non-vented,1 1/4 wide, 250gr. screw-in model...an awesome 3 bl. broadhead!
Curt } >>--->   

Offline monkeyball

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #172 on: November 21, 2009, 09:06:00 PM »
AWEsome story buddy,and great photos.Thanks for sharing.

Craig

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #173 on: November 21, 2009, 09:15:00 PM »
Cool!  another one bites the dust. .

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline Shinken

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #174 on: November 21, 2009, 09:58:00 PM »
Nice shootin' Guru!

A 'yote is *always* good medicine!

Shoot straight, Shinken
"The measure of your life will be the measure of your courage."

TRUTH is TRUTH
even if no one believes it

A LIE is a LIE
even if everyone believes it

Offline pitbull

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #175 on: November 22, 2009, 07:23:00 AM »
It is nice to have those bonus critters show up, Congrats!

Offline Bonebuster

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #176 on: November 22, 2009, 09:11:00 AM »
Great story, and the pics are excellent. Getting an arrow into a yote usually just leads to frustration.

I joined Trad Gang in '06 and had never heard the story of you taking a bullet through your leg.
Gives me weak knees to think of it. You got lucky, really lucky. If that bullet had encountered the bone, I`m sure you know the story would not have ended as it did.

I`m glad you got out of bed, and I`m really glad about alot of other things.

Congrats on the yote.  :campfire:

Online glenbo

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #177 on: November 22, 2009, 11:12:00 AM »
Loved the story and the fine pics.congratulations! talk to you in the am,glen

Offline JoeM

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #178 on: November 22, 2009, 11:25:00 AM »
Thanks for sharing GREAT PICS!!!  I love when guys take the time to get some good pics.  Congrats Joe
"...there are no words that can tell the hidden spirit of the wilderness, that can reveal its mystery, its melancholy, and its charm."  Teddy Roosevelt

Offline Travisc406

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #179 on: November 22, 2009, 03:54:00 PM »
Great Job!!!
Never let the truth get in the way of a good story....

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©