3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: The Adventure of Hope and Faith 2009/2010  (Read 6790 times)

Offline Molson

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: The Adventure of Hope and Faith 2009/2010
« Reply #240 on: January 21, 2010, 08:35:00 PM »
Well my new duties at work have been limiting my time with Hope.  I managed to get her out three times but it seems the warmer weather had lots of folks out and about.  First hunt ended when another hunter decided to "scout" during the last half hour of daylight.  Second hunt was ended by a couple of teenage lovebirds who decided to take a walk down and back repeatedly on the railroad bed that borders the farm.  Third hunt looked pretty good with about a dozen coming to me when something on the far tree line caught their attention.  They all stopped about 50 yds out, turned, and headed back to the brush.  A few minutes later I could heard someone yelling for their dog so I suspect that was the culprit. And so it goes when you're hunting urban zones. Got a few pics but just don't have time to post them right now. Gonna get out this whole weekend so hopefully I'll put something on the ground.

As for the bow itself... Other than the GN Ghost, I prefer longbows but I find this bow very easy to shoot.  I was surprised by how quiet it is.  I expected the static curves to cause a bit of noise but they don't at all.  The riser is just the perfect size. Narrow, light, trim, and sleek.  Not one bit bulky anywhere and a shelf that sets the arrow right on top of the hand. And of course I am a sucker for Osage.  Very nice design and everything seems to flow together and balance well.
"The old ways will work in the future, but the new ways have never worked in the past."

Offline Molson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #241 on: January 23, 2010, 01:05:00 PM »
Bad Shooting!!!!!!  (That was a nice 8)

Blah...

Not so bad shooting....

"The old ways will work in the future, but the new ways have never worked in the past."

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #242 on: January 23, 2010, 01:58:00 PM »
Cool!! So how about a story,

mike
Mike Westvang

Offline recurve_shooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #243 on: January 23, 2010, 02:06:00 PM »
Great job!  Anyone keeping up with the tally for the two girls?

Offline Mike Gerardi

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #244 on: January 23, 2010, 02:47:00 PM »
Tims on his way back out for the afternoon hunt. He will fill ya in when he gets back.

Offline pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #245 on: January 23, 2010, 11:45:00 PM »
Congrats Tim.  I'll wait for more.

Offline Molson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #246 on: January 24, 2010, 07:27:00 AM »
There's not much to this story but there is a bit of a twist...

Friday night I was late getting home from work so I ran out to my Bro-in-Law's since he has a stand set up behind the house and it was quick to get to.  Sat for two hours and didn't see a thing, not even a bird!

Saturday morning I headed out to one of my urban properties.  On my way in I could see deer out in the fields.  Before daylight the squirrels, a rabbit, a 'possum, and numerous birds were moving about so I had a pretty good feeling there would be some action.  About an hour after daylight I heard the faint squish of a missed step in the snow and looked over to see a nice mid 120's 8pt and a little 4pt coming my way.  They stopped for a snack under a pine then came moving in.  The 8pt was leading the way.  I decided where I was going to shoot him and got ready.  He walked right into the spot perfectly at which point I sent a beautiful arrow right over his back.  He scooted forward about 10 yds and stopped in the brush to look around.  The little 4pt stopped and stared at the 8 as if to say, "What the heck are you doing?"  They both looked around a bit then the 8 gave the all-clear tail flick and they walked away.

I stayed on stand for another hour and a half without anymore action.  I decided to get down and mosey the small pines.  The deer like to bed and feed in these and you can get up on them just enough to keep you coming back.  As I was slipping through the pines I caught an ear twitch about 40 yds up ahead.  Sure enough, there was a deer bedded right on the edge of the pines and facing down the hill away from me.  I got the wind right and snuck up to about 20 yds away and sent an arrow right behind the shoulder and out the base of the neck.  The deer jumped up to take off and on the second bound, fell to the left.  It was then I saw he had broken his left front leg at the knee, most likely from being hit by a car. He jumped up again and ran a few feet and landed right in the middle of one of my ground blinds and died against the tree I lean my bow on when I hunt it.  He was a little buck that had dropped his antlers.

I went back out again last night and it was pretty uneventful, except for the squirrels.  There must have been at least 30 of them running everywhere driving me nuts.  Just about dark a group of eight does came in but they were on the wrong trail (or I was on the wrong trail!) and they passed me about 45 yds away.

I should be out right now instead of typing this but my back was a bit too stiff from the events of yesterday so I'll head out tonight instead.  Hopefully I can get on one more before I hand the bow back to Mike for its final week in Ohio.

Offline Molson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #247 on: January 24, 2010, 08:19:00 PM »
Took Hope out tonight for my final adventure with her.  As I was heading to my stand I saw a doe feeding in the bottom near where I shot the one yesterday and knew right away I could get up on her.  I headed off on the course that would bring me out right on her for a perfect shot.  I made it around and to the point where I started my final slow approach.  It seemed like a good time to make a foolish mistake and that's exactly what I did.  As I was moving up on her I saw the head of another doe jerk up 15 yds to my left and off she went, taking the other one with her.  That second doe was an easier stalk than the one I was after but in my haste I totally forgot to be aware of what was going on around me.

I moved on to my stand and got set.  After about an hour I could hear a deer munching away in the brush out in front of me but couldn't see her.  A short while later she came out and started heading my way.  I was about to realize mistake number two of the night.  When I got to my stand, there was a big branch that had fallen and was hanging in a tree to the right.  I thought it was blocking one of my shooting lanes and I walked over and moved it.  Turned out when I got in the stand it wasn't in the way at all. Don't you know that doe circled around and came in from my right.  She gave me several shots but I would have had to turn so I decided to wait until she got on my left side.  She was munching along when she hit the trail I left moving that branch and jumped back about 10 yds.  Time for mistake number three.  Instead of just letting her settle, which she probably would have done since she didn't blow out, I turned to the right and shot.  She practically put her chest to the ground when she ducked and the arrow slipped right across her hair.  Off she went for good.  Had to shake my head after that because I realized I was acting like a guy trying to shoot a deer with a bow instead of like a bowhunter.

That was the end of the action for the night and the end of my time with Hope.  Mike has her back now and will be out trying to tally up one more before he ships her off.

Offline GG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #248 on: January 27, 2010, 01:31:00 PM »
Well, my time with Faith is over. I shipped her off today to her next lucky hunter. I didn't get to take her hunting but 8 or 10 times and didn't get a shot at game with her, although I had a couple of close calls. I appreciate the opportunity to hunt with her and was very impressed with the speed and smoothness of this bow. Thanks again. Gray

Offline GREASEMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #249 on: January 27, 2010, 08:49:00 PM »
Great looking Bows

Offline Mike Gerardi

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #250 on: February 02, 2010, 02:52:00 PM »
Hope went out this morning. I will post the rest of her story after dark.

Offline recurve_shooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #251 on: February 02, 2010, 06:18:00 PM »
What do you folks think about using AD Hammerheads with these bows?  

Mine are 29.5 BOP and currently set up with the 100 gr brass insert, 160 gr STOS and 100 gr adapter.  They shoot fine out of a 60 @ 26 Silvertip (around 63 at my 27.5 " draw).

I know the ADs have a wide spine range, but I'm wondering if they might be too stiff for these bows.  I'm on schedule for Faith in March and was wondering if I need to be looking for some lighter spined arrows.  All of my other bows are 60# or heavier, so I don't have any lighter spined arrows.

Thanks in advance!

Offline Milk River Stickman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #252 on: February 03, 2010, 05:34:00 AM »
Cool stuff.

Offline Mike Gerardi

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #253 on: February 03, 2010, 07:38:00 AM »
I used a AD Trad light cut to 29.5in 4in 4 fletch with 250 upfront, with a two blade broadhead. I draw almost 29in.

Offline Molson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #254 on: February 03, 2010, 02:56:00 PM »
I was shooting Heritage 150's cut 28.5 with about 215 up front with Hope.  I draw 27".

Offline recurve_shooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #255 on: February 03, 2010, 04:51:00 PM »
Thanks for the info.  I'm tempted to try the hammerheads, but I'm thinking I should have a half-dozen or so lighter arrows just in case.  I don't want to lose any valuable time with Faith trying to figure out what arrow works!

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #256 on: February 03, 2010, 05:39:00 PM »
I shot Vapor 3000's @ 29" with 250gr. points and a regular insert out of the lefty Miss Faith....I draw right about 28.5 inches....
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline LITTLEBIGMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #257 on: February 05, 2010, 12:59:00 PM »
I shot CE 150's 100 grain brass in sert, 145 WW head. total arrow length 28 BOP total arrow wiegth about 575
Make a life, not a living

Offline GG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #258 on: February 06, 2010, 11:15:00 AM »
Hey Mel Riley, did you receive Faith? I hav'nt heard?

Offline Irish

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #259 on: February 09, 2010, 02:33:00 PM »
Got it, it is headed for the Texas Sweat on Friday!
Mel Riley

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©