3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: The Adventure of Hope and Faith 2009/2010  (Read 6778 times)

Offline Talondale

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: The Adventure of Hope and Faith 2009/2010
« Reply #280 on: April 12, 2010, 10:49:00 AM »
Didn't hear or see anything Saturday.  Cold front came through Thursday and that seemed to have shut the birds down from what other hunters in the area are telling me.

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #281 on: April 17, 2010, 07:19:00 PM »
Com'on guys...no pix or stories???    :readit:
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Online swp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #282 on: April 18, 2010, 02:30:00 PM »
Monday April 19, Missouri Turkey Season opener. Pics and stories coming!!  :)
"People say you can't go back, its like when you get to the edge of a cliff and you take one more step forward or you do a 180 degree turn and take one more step forward. Which way are you going? Which one is progress?" Doug Tompkins

Online swp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #283 on: April 19, 2010, 03:01:00 PM »
Well Faith and I spent 6.5 hours in the blind this morning listening to gobblers all around us. But none of them wanted to play. . Looked out over this decoy once and had a coyote sitting in the hay looking things over. . Did see one gobbler on the way out with 3-4 hens.
"People say you can't go back, its like when you get to the edge of a cliff and you take one more step forward or you do a 180 degree turn and take one more step forward. Which way are you going? Which one is progress?" Doug Tompkins

Online swp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #284 on: April 20, 2010, 12:27:00 PM »
The turkeys are giving us no respect! Went back up in the woods, about 100 yards above the last picture,today and the gobblers went the other way when they flew down. Did see a hen today though. We will be back after them again tomorrow.

Online swp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #285 on: April 21, 2010, 08:44:00 PM »
We keep zigging and the turkeys zag!!DOH! Tomorrow is a new day. Going out back of the house.

Online swp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #286 on: April 22, 2010, 08:47:00 PM »
Well the rain this morning didn't keep Faith or me indoors. But it didn't do much to help is kill a turkey either. We ran into a lover with two hens and he wasn't interested in fighting a jake for two more. So he walked off following them to leave us contemplating how birds with a brain so small can be so smart.  :)

Offline Talondale

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #287 on: April 24, 2010, 06:05:00 AM »
Sitting in a pop-up on a field waiting for morning. Light rain. Pics will have to wait until I get back to a computer. Thursday morning had four hens come within 60 yards, one was a bearded hen. They stayed for awhile then fed away. Later a jake and two hens appeared farther upfield but ignored my decoys and pleas.  Friday morning we had some gobbles but they must have been henned up because although they would respond to our calls they continued to move away.  Got to go,birds are waking up.

Offline Talondale

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #288 on: April 24, 2010, 06:23:00 AM »
Just heard a gobble.Will keep you posted on progress.

Offline Talondale

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #289 on: April 26, 2010, 11:00:00 AM »
Sorry, didn't mean to drag that out.  It was my birthday this weekend and things got busy.
Here's a couple of pics of the hens I saw Thursday morning.

This is as close as they got before feeding back through the finger of woods and up the hill.  One of these hens was the bearded one.  Not sure which in this pic.

Offline Talondale

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #290 on: April 26, 2010, 11:13:00 AM »
Saturday after hearing the gobble I didn't hear anything else until about 9:30 when a tom gobbled at a pair of geese that were making a ton of racket on a small pond below me.  He wouldn't answer calls and the only turkey sighted was by my buddy on a different field who looked up to find a hen feeding about 24 yards away.  About 10 o'clock I had enough of sitting in a blind and decided to roam a bit and do some calling elsewhere.  While walking through a stand of pines I jumped two turkeys out of trees.  It seemed weird to me that they'd still be up in trees at that time of day.  At this time of season in Virginia you can only hunt half day, so I started to head back to break things down and close out my time with Hope.  On the edge of one field I came across a set of interesting bones.  A short thick, thigh bone and an unusual skull.

I think it may have been a mastiff or some other similar dog that became too much for the owner to handle and they brought it out to this field to dispatch it.  The teeth were very large and the ridge bone behind the forehead looked almost prehistoric.
  The weather forecast for the rest of this week looks pretty bleak here so I'm going to get Hope on her way to the next hunter.  Thanks for the chance to use such a nice bow and help out a bit with the St. Judes auction.

Online swp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #291 on: April 26, 2010, 06:16:00 PM »
Well today it was raining lightly while I was feeding and I almost decided to leave the camera at the house but at the last second threw it in a ziplock and headed out the door. Right after sunrise I looked out the side window to see a hen standing about forty yards to my right about twenty seconds later I saw this guy coming from the east.   I didn't have any decoys out because the turkeys usually feed and strut in this area and have never responded well to decoys. Usually they will wander close to the blind at some point, well these guys went on into the woods behind me. A little later I looked out my front window to see 6 bucks. I got this pic of three of them.  
A little while later I had three hens feed from the east toward me and I could tell one was a bearded hen.   Since I had just shot a bearded hen with my shotgun on Saturday I decided to pass on this one. Right after these hens disappeard some jakes started feeding towards me and one got about 15 yds from me so I took a shot and watched my arrow fly over his back. They vacated the area rather quickly so I got my arrow and settled back in. After a while 3 does wandered out of the brush from the north   and dissappeared to the southeast. My whole morning was a parade of turkeys and deer, it seemed like I would see one and then the other in alternating sequences. Around 12 I think I had just about drifted off to sleep when jerked upright and looked out my side window to see the same tom back standing about 30 yds to the south of me. I called a couple of times and he gobbled but wouldn't commit to anything so I didn't call anymore. He was making his way to the south when 3 jakes wandered up from the south and then 6 more wandered out from the east. They milled around and the gobbler showed them who was boss a couple of times.  . They passed my blind at about thirty yards heading back to the SW and at the corner of the woods turned and headed straight towards me. The big gobbler was in the lead and as he entered my shooting window he was about 13 yds out. I held lower on him but as I realesed Faiths top limb hit the top of the blind and my arrow sailed over the tom (talk about feeling like @$$). Oh well at least I got her into some action. Faith and I have had a great time and I am honored that I got to spend some time with her. Before I headed out this morning I had decided that today would be our last hunt together, hopefully I can get her mailed off tomorrow or Wednesday. I think she is headed towards the Lone Star state for the next leg of her journey. Good Luck with her Barry!

Offline Talondale

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #292 on: April 26, 2010, 08:51:00 PM »
Looks like you had a good time Barry.  Wish I'd seen that much action.

Offline bow loving man

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #293 on: April 27, 2010, 07:27:00 AM »
Scott, Sounds like you had a good month with Faith, got her all primed for her trip back to Texas...I have been scouting some hogs and know I am going to Ks for a turkey hunt and hopefully get her on a Tx Turkey too...Might even sneak her into our monthly shoot too...Can't wait til she arrives...Stay tuned...Barry
"...on earth as it is in heaven..."

Offline smokin feathers

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #294 on: April 29, 2010, 04:13:00 PM »
Hope arrived safe and sound today, cant wait to get her home tonight and get some arrows through her. Gonna give her a go on some pigs and take her to the 24th annual glen parker memorial shoot.
Smoke

TGMM-FAMILY OF THE BOW

Offline smokin feathers

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #295 on: April 30, 2010, 05:45:00 PM »
played with the nock height and got her shooting some camo axis 500's with weight tubes real good.Gonna shoot a 3d shoot with her tomorrow.
Smoke

TGMM-FAMILY OF THE BOW

Offline bow loving man

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #296 on: April 30, 2010, 06:59:00 PM »
Faith arrived early in good shape in Texas today! Once I got the PVC tube open this is what I found

So I decided to dress her up a little TEXAS style!

Tuned her up with some Gt55/75's with 145 grains up front and she is ready to hunt some Texas hogs and Turkeys tomorrow....

Offline bow loving man

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #297 on: May 05, 2010, 08:33:00 AM »
Well Miss Faith and I are getting along well.  I had a chance to catch an evening hunt for hogs this week.  I had to revisit a baited area and put some more corn out and then sit the area til dark...I went to my favorite tree..

Got Miss Faith all comfortable and then I proceeded to bait the area in front of the tree...I have shot a couple of hogs from this tree and using this baiting area...

It wasn't a very long wait and I heard that all too familiar crunching and crushing of cattails in the lake bed....They were early according to my guess but I did not care...I moved slowly and got Miss Faith in my hands and waited...

Slowly ever so slowly, the hog made it's way towards the baited area!  This was working perfectly and according to plan...

Offline bow loving man

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #298 on: May 05, 2010, 08:43:00 AM »
He locked up, stuck his nose in the air and looked out to the North, away from me...  
He turned his tail back into the cattails and dissappeared!  Miss Faith and I saw 8 does cruise through the grassland behind our tree, an armadillo meander down the fenceline, and a hawk search for quail as they were calling themselves together for the night...It was a nice evening, maybe next time!  stay tuned

Offline bow loving man

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #299 on: May 07, 2010, 09:23:00 PM »
Wow! What a day...Went with a friend to a new ranch to chase the ever elusive Turkey!  We spent the day driving the ranch and scouting for turkey...We saw one big Tom, two jakes, and about 5 hens...We found where we want to set up,and where the big tom is hanging out...It was a fun day with Faith...I made a stalk on the big Tom, a jake and two hens, but it was pretty tough going and I never got a shot...My friend called in a tom and two hens to a different place while I was stalking the big Tom...
But no shots were fired!!! Until.....

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©