3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: The Adventure of Hope and Faith 2009/2010  (Read 6773 times)

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: The Adventure of Hope and Faith 2009/2010
« Reply #40 on: July 07, 2009, 09:55:00 PM »
Holy cow that's cool!  Keep it low and tight bud    :pray:
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline BTH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: July 07, 2009, 10:43:00 PM »
Yep...my blind is about ten yards uphill from this trail, just to the right off camera. It's been there for about a month now all brushed in. Didn't seem to bother him a bit. I think all I've got to do now is sit in it for the evening and if he walks by, keep it low and tight, and let him have it with a 300Extreme I've been keeping sharp for him. I'm already visualizing this weekend in my mind...Me with Faith in hand, nocking the AD arra tipped with the 300Extreme. Pick a spot, full draw, back tension, release, follow through...Either be this guy or the four pointer Blacktail at the top of the ranch. Hey, maybe both...
Pork, Oysters, and Beer...the Holy Trinity (Anthony Bourdain).

Offline b.glass

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: July 08, 2009, 02:00:00 PM »
Hog and deer hunting! Christmas in July!!! Good luck Sir! We'll be waiting ppppatiently!

Bona
B.Glass, aka Mom, aka Longbowwoman
Gregory R. Glass Feb. 14th, 1989-April 1st, 2007; Forever 18.
TGMM Family of The Bow
Mark 5:36 "Don't be afraid, just believe".

Online swp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: July 08, 2009, 07:12:00 PM »
Let us know how things go.
"People say you can't go back, its like when you get to the edge of a cliff and you take one more step forward or you do a 180 degree turn and take one more step forward. Which way are you going? Which one is progress?" Doug Tompkins

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: July 11, 2009, 09:06:00 PM »
All sounds great. Best of luck you two.    :campfire:
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline BTH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: July 12, 2009, 06:39:00 PM »
Man, what a beautiful weekend out here in California!

We had a low system move through which gave us unseasonably cool weather.

We arrived at the ranch, unpacked, and checked the Cuddeback. Sure enough, the pig was on there, along with a doe, a spike buck, a rabbit, some grouse, and a skunk.

I strung up Faith and sat in the blind on the pig's trail but he didn't show. Darn wild critters...just can't get them to cooperate. There was still enough light up top on the ranch to see so I got in the truck and scooted up there. Sure enough, I caught a glimpse of one of the bucks I've been scouting as he melted into the treeline with sunset. The next night's hunt was planned.

The next morning we took a walk below the cabin. We didn't see any deer down there so we headed out on the ranch to see what we could find. Our local hare population is year around so when we saw some them on the hillside the stalk was on. I finally had one of the little rabbits broadside so I took a shoot...just short. Me and Faith still need to get acquainted more, I think.

Faith is a good ten pounds lighter than my Morrison and four inches longer. Her riser is much lighter and the grip much thinner as well. I need to shoot her much more to get used to her. The backyard bullseyes were very cool though.

Time for the evening hunt we had planned around these three bucks we've been scouting. We take our stands along the route we think they'll take and the wait begins. Finally sundown, but no bucks. I edge on over to where I can see more hillside and glass. No bucks. Are they not coming tonight?

Shooting light is fading fast so we hop into the truck and head back to the cabin, looking along the way. Sure enough, there's a buck! He's feeding toward some oaks on a sidehill. He's a little forked horn but legal. And he's the buck I saw last night, as well as the companion to a couple of bigger bucks. He's usually last in line so maybe, just maybe, the others are already in the oaks.

The wind is in my favor and the buck just stepped behind the oaks. I jump out and grab my bow and head out to cut them off as they exit the oaks on their side of the ridge. Wind is in my favor still and they can't see me.

I make it to the drainage just opposite from where they'll exit the oaks on the other side. I can't get any closer. Just as I'm processing this a buck steps out...That ain't no forked horn! The forkie steps out behind the four pointer as I pick a spot on the bigger buck and come to full draw. I have a broadside, cross drainage, slightly uphill shot to make maybe about 30-35 yards. I release and I feel the string catch my sleeve...I was wearing my leafy 3D net shirt...just before my arm guard. I see my arrow wobble over his back as these two turn and trot away.

Two more weekends with Faith to go...the first one gave me the last piece of the puzzle I needed on these bucks. Sara and I went back the next morning and scouted some better stand locations. I'm going to shoot Faith some more and get use to the lighter weight. I have "faith" we'll get it done.

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: July 12, 2009, 08:38:00 PM »
Great weekend Toby...another week to build confidence and you'll be back at it...good luck!
Curt } >>--->   

Offline BTH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: July 13, 2009, 11:02:00 PM »
Just went shooting with Faith, using the arrow and broadhead I used the other night. Shooting really good. I keep feeling like I'm overpulling her since she's so much lighter. I worked on picturing bullseyes in my mind and just going through my usual shooting style. It came together well. As we all know most of our sport is mental. I just let my mind get in the way. I mean, come on, Big Buck, Faith, 30 yards...should have closed the deal right there. We'll give it another go Friday night.

Offline recurve_shooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: July 15, 2009, 10:59:00 AM »
Curt,

I tried sending you a couple of PMs but it shows you haven't read them.  

I would like to be put on the list for Faith in March 2010 if it is still available.

Thanks,

David

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: July 18, 2009, 01:09:00 PM »
Got'um David....you're in for March '10
Curt } >>--->   

Offline b.glass

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: July 19, 2009, 01:50:00 AM »
A picture of Hope the Orion with the full moon a couple of weeks ago. Seemed appropriate.

TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline b.glass

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: July 19, 2009, 01:55:00 AM »
Sorry it turned out a little blurry. The groundhogs have refused to show up. I've been out 3 or 4 times with no luck. But we've had a lot of fun stump shooting!

Bona
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline BTH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: July 19, 2009, 07:13:00 PM »
Another weekend on the ranch with Faith.

Friday night was a no show for the bucks...at least until we saw their dark outlines on the hillside after legal light was done! Frustrating but that is the way it goes in the hot summer bow season.

Saturday was much more exciting than sitting and waiting for the deer. First off, we had a big fire on the neighbor's ranch. CalFire crews jumped on it pretty good and pummeled it with retardant drops and helicopters. Quite the show once we realized they had it contained.
But anyway there I was, walking an old unused road with dark timber above and below me, walking to meet up with my wife who had been hunting another section of the ranch (we've decided to use the quads that God gave us as much as we can this year) when I hear the unmistakable sounds of pigs coming my way on the upslope side.  
Then I see two huge boars through the trees. I follow along with the pigs as I am trying to find an opening I can use to my advantage. Then it just goes quiet. I'm standing there, trying to figure out what is going on, when it dawns on me that the pigs have bedded right above me. Right. Now, I don't really care if I go after pigs in their beds as long as I have a good plan. So, I circle around the thick stuff, go uphill in the grass on the other side of the dark timber, and then start to come down on top of them from the hill top. This takes awhile and by this time the wife is now on the road where I was earlier. I start sneaking down on top of them in their beds, hoping to get a shot off as they get up.  
I get about twenty yards above the pigs when they shoot out from their beds, running in the direction they came from. Oh well, nice try anyway.
That night I'm out alone. The wife and the dog are back at the cabin. I'm still hunting the area where we've seen these bucks and not having any luck. I'm working a gradual drainage with steep sides that they've been using as a travel route. The drainage hooks right at the top and continues upslope and that is where I'm headed. I hit the top of the drainage before the hook and the wind turns wrong to continue. I have to get out of the drainage and catch the wind that comes up from the other side to continue with wind in my favor. This area is very tricky with wind currents but over the years we've figured it out.
I get the wind back in my favor...now I'm on the road over the top of the hook. The sun is down and I'm very close to the end of shooting light. I slowly go over the crest and as I do, two forked horns crest over the edge of the drainage on to the road. Busted...out of range and we're staring at each other waiting for something to happen. This goes on for at least three to five minutes. I can't move to draw on them, they're out of range anyway, and they're just looking at me wondering what I'm going to do. Finally they turn and amble off...not scared in any way and not running from me...as soon as the go over the side of another arm of the drainage system I run for the edge, hoping to catch them down slope in range when I get there. I'm stretching last shooting light and when I hit the edge that they dropped over, they were already on the other side of that drainage heading upslope and away, nice and calm and looking over their shoulders at me. I'll I could do was kneel down and shake my head...laughing at the situation. Darn, that is bowhunting right there.  
But I'll be on that mountian, working that drainage, Friday night trying to get one of those blacktail bucks in range of Faith.

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: July 24, 2009, 06:15:00 AM »
good luck!!     :pray:
Curt } >>--->   

Offline BTH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: July 26, 2009, 03:54:00 PM »
Here's a shot from the Cuddeback on one of the Blacktails I'm working on. He's a smaller one...

I'm still recovering from Friday night. 20 minutes, on my knees, in the middle of a grassy hillside, bent at the waist and holding on to Faith, arrow knocked.

Here are a couple of pictures of my "Special
Place".

Now, I won't string this out like some folks...

It started with spotting a nice sized forked horn, in the area where I always see these bucks. He scoots across the hillside and slows down before going out of sight.

I figure I know where he's going, and he's not going there fast. I make a move into the drainage below me and use that as cover to get the wind and close the distance.

Getting up to the ridge I bust a deer out from a bed under an oak tree...didn't see it but based on what I've been seeing I'm thinking it was one of the other bucks.

I use the ridgeline as cover, peeking over here and there to see if I can spot the big forkie. I'm hoping he hasn't made the big drainage which forms the top of the deep redwood canyon, which is where these guys go for cover and beds.

I finally make a spot, just over where the cuddeback took the picture, where I can go over the ridge and sneak into the top of that drainage that I think he's heading for. If the timing is right (he didn't look like he was in a hurry) I may be able to cut him off.

I'm skirting the edge of the drainage now on the bottom third of a steep grassy slope, heading for a tree and some brush that'll give me cover on the trail I'm hoping he'll be on. The grass is about 3-4 feet tall here...then I spot him. Just the tops of his forks about 40-50 yards uphill from me. I'm out in the open and sink into the grass. The wait begins.

I drop binoculars, quiver belt, take one arrow and start to crawl whenever I see his head drop. I get another five yards and his head comes up. And stays up. Now I'm locked down on my knees facing upslope, bent over at the waist, my hand on Faith. Minutes go by and he's not moving. Finally, I look up and he's walking downhill towards me! I'm thinking I'm good and he'll walk right by me at about 12-15 yards.

Then I hear noise below us in the drainage. Darn! Loud enough to be pigs, could be a cow or two, doubt that it is more deer. Either way I'm between a cautious mature blacktail and what ever is in the drainage and the wind is taking my scent into that drainage.

The buck stops cold. The sun is down now and I'm working against time and shooting light. He's not moving so I have to. Using the noise in the drainage as cover sounds like a plan so a scoot downhill to a deep break a few feet below me. I do the duck walk to the tree I was aiming for in the first place and take a look around. He's still there I think since I haven't seen or heard him break out.

I can now head uphill towards him since I have cover...so that's what I do. I make the bushes that he is on the other side of. Then he breaks and stops at 40 yards broadside/quartering to on the opposite hillside. Beautiful buck just doing his strut trying to figure me out. No shot to be had at this angle and the distance doesn't instill confidence in a clean kill. He decides enough is enough and trots over the hill. I follow at a run, sidehill and below him. We met up again at the edge of the treeline. He's back to me looking over his shoulder about 35 yards. Thats match point to him. His next move is into the trees and down hill in the drainage to heavy cover.

What a rush. Three weekends hunting with Faith, one arrow shot at a nice four pointer, spot and stalks on three occasions, and close encounters with blacktail bucks. Only thing better would be venison in the freezer but I'll take this anytime.

My time with Faith is done. I'll be sending her on this week.

Thanks Curt for putting thie together. Thanks to Dryad for the great bow.

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: July 27, 2009, 10:31:00 AM »
I'm gonna follow up reading you all's post this evening....slap covered up at the moment...

Ms Glass....you have an email....
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline b.glass

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: July 27, 2009, 10:02:00 PM »
Got it Terry. I will take care of it. Thanks!

Bona
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline Paul Mattson

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: July 28, 2009, 10:18:00 AM »
Can't wait to get Miss Faith in Aug. No hunting here in WI during Aug, but I'll take her and Miss Faith (Black Mtn) to the WI State Trad Shoot on the 8th.

Offline Over&Under

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: July 28, 2009, 06:44:00 PM »
Sounds like that hunt had all you can ask for except the meat, but thats not really the most important part anyway, thanks for sharing with us!!!  :clapper:  

I am looking forward to Sept!!
“Elk (add hogs to the list) are not hard to hit....they're just easy to miss"          :)
TGMM

Offline Raminshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: July 29, 2009, 06:19:00 PM »
Nice job Toby,  

My parents live in the hills overlooking Alexander Valley so I know what you mean about your "special spot".  Good luck and good shooting when it all comes together.
Keep flinging those shafts!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©