3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Zipper XST - Jim Jones Firefly?  (Read 1409 times)

Offline suttoman

• Trad Bowhunter
Zipper XST - Jim Jones Firefly?
« on: May 30, 2009, 07:12:00 PM »
Just wondering if anybody out there has shot or compared these two bows.  They look very similiar and both are the style that I like the most - R/D longbow, three piece T/D, high wrist.

I judge all bows by my Firefly - to me it is the best of the best.  So much so I have sold all of my other bows.  The Predator went off to Hanlontown Iowa in the States last week and I think I have sold the Turkey Creek locally.

I also sold a heap of other stuff on Fleabay, so I have a nice little nest of pocket money just sitting there.

I think my Firefly will always be my go-to-bow - it is just so dog-gone good.

However I do need a backup bow and something as a project bow for me to research and order.

Has somebody compared the two for smoothness, accuracy and most of all speed?  Oh yes - what are Zipper like to deal with as a company - the bar has been raised to insurmountable levels if they have to better Jim Jone's service!

Thanks

sutto
One hour of life, crowded to the full with glorious action .... is worth whole years of those mean observances of paltry decorum, in which men steal through existence, like sluggish waters through a marsh, without either honor or observation

Offline jacobsladder

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Zipper XST - Jim Jones Firefly?
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2009, 08:34:00 PM »
i'd buy another firefly...get one a tad heavier for hunting purposes....then a lighter weight one to sling arrows at 3d and multiple rounds.. Jim and his bows are top notch! If it aint broke..there's nothing to fix.
TGMM Family of the Bow

"There's a race of men that dont fit in, A race that can't stay still; So they break the hearts of kith and kin, And they roam the world at will"  Robert Service

Offline suttoman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2009, 10:52:00 PM »
Thanks Jacob - good input.  I really like your footnote as well.  Particularly reading about what happened to Mr Barta.

Sutto
One hour of life, crowded to the full with glorious action .... is worth whole years of those mean observances of paltry decorum, in which men steal through existence, like sluggish waters through a marsh, without either honor or observation

Offline azhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2009, 11:06:00 PM »
I am interested in the opinions of those that have shot both of these bows as well.  I have read good things about both of them and am interested in both. Have heard great things about both bowyers as well.

Offline excelpoint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2009, 12:37:00 AM »
Sutto I was recently fortunate enough to pick up a second hand Firefly from Whitebuffalo on here although you would be hard pressed to tell it had been used at all. Mine is 60#@28" and 58" amo. It isa beautiful bow to shoot and I cannot fault the workmansip. I have owned a few High end bows now(great plains, Horne etc) and Jims bow would be the best so far. I have sent Jim a few emails recently and he has got back to me ASAP with very helpful replies, cant fault that for service. I havnt shot a Zipper but it would have to be something special to beat the Firefly. I'm shooting 630gr arrows with the bow pulling 50# at my 25" draw and itthrows them out very nicely.
"A hunt based only on trophies taken falls short of what the ultimate goal should be ... time to commune with your inner soul as you share the outdoors with the birds, animals, and the fish that live there."
Fred Bear

Offline suttoman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2009, 02:24:00 AM »
Yes Excel - I agree with you 100%.  In fact you have probably read my ramblings on here on many occasions singing Jim's praises.

I have just about had them all and could literally buy a new car with what I have spend on getting bows into Australia from America.  Most of the service I got was mediocre, some was down right forgettable and very lousy and not many stand out above the crowd.  

However I think Jim Jones is a legend - his service was astronomical - he bend over backwards to do everything for me.  In fact - you may have read in my earlier submission - the bow I have now, which is my second F/F, he made it for me twice.

When I got the original one there was a couple of little things that were not perfect (poundage 1# too light, grip slightly thin) and rather than try to rectify them Jim made me a whole brand new bow at his expense.  He even offered to pay the very expensive postage to and from Australia for me.

As an all up package, the man, the bow, the whole experience - you cannot beat Jim Jones of Firefly.  

In fact if I do not get some big raps about Zipper (and they will have to be pretty big) I will just order another F/F as a backup bow.

Sutto

Offline excelpoint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2009, 04:29:00 AM »
Too true sutto, its a same tha moreof the shops over here dont take some notice of what service is all about but anyway thats another subject. I also have a Lewis Hollow LB getting built for me at the moment and have had great service from them as well. Its going to be a hard choice which bow to pick up once that arrives but one Im happy to live with  :)  I have been shooting my Dad's Lewis Hollow and really like it. The FF and LH are very similar but I can see another FF hanging on the wall down the track as I like the shorter bow. The LH only goes down to 62" in a LB. I put over 200 shots through the FF today while playing with brace heights and have settled on just a whisker under 7"
"A hunt based only on trophies taken falls short of what the ultimate goal should be ... time to commune with your inner soul as you share the outdoors with the birds, animals, and the fish that live there."
Fred Bear

Offline zipper bowss

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2009, 08:58:00 AM »
Suttoman,there was just a thread titled Openions of the Zipper SXT it is now on page two.It may be worth looking at.From what I have read on your post it sounds like you could not be more satisfied with your firefly.Dont misunderstand this next statement, my bows are as good as any (OBVIOUSLY IM A LITTLE BIASED).That being said if you are as happy with your firefly as it seems you are,why not just get another firefly.Im sure that seems like a crazy statement coming from me,but I would rather see you buy someone elses bow then get one that may not click with you.Since you obviously cant shoot one before you place your order.
Best of luck!!
OH, I am 100% confident you would be satisfied with our service.
Bill

Offline Jedimaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2009, 03:40:00 PM »
Now Bill, you just made me want one of your bows even more! I'm heading over to your page now to take another look.
Do or do not ... there is no "try"

Cum catapulatae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Offline BSBD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2009, 12:07:00 AM »
If you're that impressed with the Firefly, just get another with different specs and the same grip.

For me, Zippers are the best and I've owned a lot of custom bows including several that cost a lot more.
All of the others are gone and I now have 2 Zipper risers with 4 sets of limbs. I really  don't need anything else but if I order a new bow it will probably be one of Bill's bows.

Offline Steve Clandinin

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2009, 12:23:00 AM »
I just came in from shooting my,new to me Firefly I got it a while back from Jim Suttinger and hadn't really given it a fair workout because of my health. After shooting it tonite and saying I was impressed would be an understatement ! that being said I am constantly looking at the Zipper Web site . After all i've read and seen a zipper is definately going to be my next bow.
The great thing about this Trad game we all play are the so many bows and options we all have, and a Curly Maple Etreme done up antiqued like an old Kentucky Longrifle is definately on the horizon.
Quote from Howard Hill.( Whenever he taught someone to shoot) "Son make up your mind right now if you want to target shoot or hunt as theres a world of differance between the two"

Offline suttoman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2009, 03:02:00 AM »
Wow Bill- that's a big call.  I have never heard anybody say 'don't buy my product - get somebody elses'.  I appreciate your unselfish honesty.

The problem is I am not one to have two of the same bow - even as good as the F/F is.  I actually had two Fireflys and sold the first one last year because all I ever shoot is the fancy one that I now have.  The same thing will happen again - I will probably order another fancy one and just shoot that all the time.  As you can see this one is quite a looker.  

I figure if one is going to lay out some more hard earned cash wny not order something different from another company.  Similiar to what you like but a different manufacturer.  One might get a pleasant surprise.

The most stupid thing I ever did was sell my Fox Royal Crown.  The guy has it sitting in his shop and wont shoot it - it just sits there for everybody to see.  I have begged, scrounged. threatened, and the like but nothing will release it from his vice-like grip - ha ha.

Ron's waiting time has blown out till next year now and with the Australian currency rate and postage on a one-piece it is going to cost me over 1,100 AUD - the stupid things that we do.

I will write to Brendan at Rose Oak bows - he has a new one that looks similiar to the Royal and it may be cheaper and his waiting time shorter.

Thanks for all the input guys.

Sutto

http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l167/suttoman/ResizeofDSC04824.jpg

http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l167/suttoman/ResizeofDSC04801.jpg

http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l167/suttoman/ResizeofDSC04795.jpg

http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l167/suttoman/ResizeofDSC04796.jpg

Offline JL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2009, 09:09:00 AM »
A buddy of mine recently got a SXT and has to be one of the best bow I have ever shot and it's built to his spec's. I would dare to say, if you get a SXT, it would be your primary bow and not a backup. I don't think you could find better then Bill and Tracy to deal with. The SXT TD will be the next bow that I will buy.

Jerry
Practice like you are the worst, shoot like you are the best...

Offline overbo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2009, 12:18:00 PM »
I like Bill's bow so much , I'm trying to sell my Bob Thompson Zippers to get my hands on Bill's bow.
There is no doubt in my mind if you go w/ Bill's SXT w/ those foam and carbon longbow limbs.You'll be throwing rocks at your otther bow.
 I'm sorry.I'm not quite the gentleman as Bill.

Offline Matabele

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2009, 02:45:00 PM »
Those zippers do look cool!

Does anyone know if its possible to have a wood veneer over the carbon when going for a carbon/foam longbow limb?

Offline Winterhawk1960

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2009, 02:48:00 PM »
Matabele.........Yes, it is quite possible. I have one on order with both the carbon/foam limbs with tulip-wood veneers over them. This increases the price somewhat, but Bill can and will do this for you.

Winterhawk1960
What if you woke up tomorrow, with only what you thanked God for today ???

Offline Matabele

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2009, 04:16:00 PM »
Thanks winterhawk ,thats what I wanted to hear!

Offline suttoman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2009, 11:31:00 PM »
Hey Matabele - do you still have your Firefly longbow or have you moved onto other things now?/

sutto

Offline Matabele

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2009, 02:30:00 PM »
Hi sutto,

Nope still got the FireFly, its a great shooting bow..but as has been mentioned on here already Jim's customer service is on another level. Id like to try another longbow though and the Zipper looks interesting!

I just watched your clip you posted shooting the bottle out to 29m...impressive shooting there sutto, good effort! Do you shoot instinctive or gap at those ranges?

Offline buckster

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2009, 04:41:00 PM »
My Zipper is a beautiful bow with a super grip, it is being touched up right now by Bill.  Great people with awesome service.  Would like to try a FF some day too.
"Carpe Carp" ... Seize the fish.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©