3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: 2009 WSTR report and pics  (Read 422 times)

Offline Ray_G

• Trad Bowhunter
2009 WSTR report and pics
« on: May 31, 2009, 02:34:00 AM »
The 2009 Western States Traditional Rendezvous was held over Memorial Weekend at Magic Mountain Ski Resort in the Sawtooth National Forest about 27 miles South of Hansen, Idaho.

I never did get to hear the count on registered shooters but it was well attended.  There plenty of vendors on hand, as well.  This shoot was 45 3-D targets on 3 courses.  There were open shots and some in the "lost or broken arrow" category.  Courses A and B started at the top of the ski lift and you got to shoot down to camp on either one.  Course C was behind camp in the thicker stuff.  No scores were kept officially for these courses unless your group wanted to.  The kids had a 3-D range as well.

There was also a Smoker, flashlight shoot, long distance shoot, aerials, money shoot, blanket shoot and the water jug shoot.  

We had a Trad Gang meet and greet on Sunday at 1 PM and McDave, CSimpson, Runamuk and myself got to visit for a bit.  During the weekend I also met up the TGers Clay Hayes, Crandog, Rik, Tom and Grizz.  I was camped with Sunset Hill and got to shoot my new Sunset Hill long bow for the first time.  I had a blast and look forward to the next gathering.  Many thanks to all who helped put this on.  I didn't get a lot of pictures as I was too busy shooting and I took my digital that is a bit too large for my quiver pocket.  Here are a few:

From the top of Course A and B, looking at Pike Mountain.  Camp is in the bottom.

Vendor Alley

Warthog target - the stake is farther up but I wanted a photo with the scenery.

The Caribou was actually on the edge of a snowbank during Thursday's set up!  Upper 80's and then some light rain changed that. This was around a 30 yard shot.  I didn't shoot for the scoring rings, rather for shot placement.  My arrow is just above the elbow where the white and brown meet.

Chamois in the rocky area.

Downhill shot about 45 degrees angle on a skunk.

Uphill bobcat shot with my bow "Destiny".

Sunset Hill 64" 54# @ 26"  "Destiny"

B.H.A.

Offline Ray_G

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: 2009 WSTR report and pics
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2009, 02:48:00 AM »
A few more pics:

Grizzly shot just above the elbow.  My bow is 58#@28", brown glass back and bamboo belly.

Side shoot - long distance bison, closest to the dot

Kids turn at the aerials - disc is near the top of the tallest Spruce.  An arrow is in the air below it a little right.  The kids had a blast!

The Water Torture!  Two water filled milk jugs on the same cable through pulleys on the tee ends.  First to poke enough holes to drain their jug and have it go up, wins the round.  This was a side event, run like a bracket tournament.  It went down to the last two from all who entered.  It was a popular event, even if some got wet during arrow retrieval if they ran out of arrows.  All shooters started out with the same number of arrows.

Sunset Hill 64" 54# @ 26"  "Destiny"

B.H.A.

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2009, 11:00:00 AM »
Looks awesome.Beautiful scenery.

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2009, 11:58:00 AM »
Looks like a good time to me!!!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Jesse Minish

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2009, 01:17:00 PM »
Good stuff! Wish I could have made it down. Thanks for sharing Ray.

Offline FerretWYO

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2009, 01:25:00 PM »
Looks like a good time.
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline Chris Surtees

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2009, 01:30:00 PM »
Outstanding...looks like a blast.