3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Morrison ILF riser - as good as it gets :)  (Read 1423 times)

Offline trashwood

• Trad Bowhunter
Morrison ILF riser - as good as it gets :)
« on: March 25, 2007, 01:36:00 AM »
anybody build a more perfect instinctive riser than Bob?  Well I don't know but Bob builds one as near perfect as ya can get.  

Bob mated his riser with Olympic (ILF) limbs to build the nicest bow ya ever shot.

The ILF limbs come in three length short, medium, and long.  the short limbs on Bob's riser makes a 56" bow and adds about 12# to the weight listed on the limbs.  the 48# shorts one the left are Hoyt Carbon Plus (carbon/foam) and make about a 60# bow in the ILF riser.  The limbs on the left are 34# longs and meated with the riser gave a 42# bow 60" long. Mediums would be a 58"  bow on the riser.

The ILF limbs are available from several of the internet vendors in usually about a week or two.

The ILF limbs have a dovetail fixture that fits in a keyhole on the riser.  Limbs are interchangable in seconds.

a bow that will take ya from moose to squirrels then to 3D all in seconds.  Oh and by the way the limbs are built for the finest shooter in the world today.  tuff as nails, stable as 100# of concert, and available mostly with in a week or so.

Some of the limbs are not cheap ($500+) but they did win the olympics   :)  .  With a little camo they will bring home your elk

but.....some of the ILF limbs are relatively inexpensive..

rusty -quick change artist- Craine

Offline R H Clark

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Morrison ILF riser - as good as it gets :)
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2007, 01:54:00 AM »
Does the Morrison riser accept all ILF limbs without changing a bushing? I know nothing about ILF limbs just that they are made for target shooters and very fast and stable.What was the reason for designing the DAS Dalaa so that you would have to change the bushing unless using limbs supplied by 3 Rivers?I may have answered my question but would be interested to know if there are other reasons.Also is the Morrison bow adjustable in tiller and weight? Thanks for the pictures.

Offline trashwood

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2007, 02:28:00 AM »
Clark - I may have to plead lack of expetise to answer your question.  I can give ya some ideas to some guys come long with the answers.  the ILF fixture is a round dovetail on a round shank.  on Oly bows this dovetail can limit the amount of preload adjustment to a few pounds one way are the other.  If you wanted to have more preload adjustment you would have to replace the ILF dovetail with sumpin else.  David wanted to have more adjustment per limb so he used a different design in the fixture.  

If you are a ILF shooter in other aspects of archery this means you will be changing fixture back and forth.  while it isn't difficult to change the fixture it is another task ya have to complete to change limb to Oly riser then back to hunting risers.  So in Bob's case leaving the ILF fixture cost the bow a little adjustability it makes changing limbs instantanoious.

I have the best of all three worlds.  I have a Dalaa with 2 sets of Dalaa limbs and 4 or 5 sets of ILF limbs for Oly risers which fit on the Morrison riser in a flash.

Keep in mind I am a shooter of bows and if I got any of the engineering side wrong I hope someone will set the record straight.

rusty

Offline trashwood

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2007, 02:32:00 AM »
BTW the Morrison riser has plenty of adjust to set the tiller like you want it.  I am not sure how much adjustment it has pasted that.  James Warren is also working with a Morrison ILF riser and I know he as adjusted the weight one full turn.  Maybe he will pick up the thread and can help with his input.  I think he has more expertise from the techy side than I do.

rusty

Offline James on laptop

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2007, 06:46:00 AM »
Yes it is adjustable just like the DAS and other bows of that type.The great thing about Bob's riser is you can also use Bob's limbs on it as well.That gives you even more options in length,weight and looks.You can have all the exoric woods you want and still be able to plug in a foam cored carbon limb any time you want.  :)

Offline James on laptop

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2007, 06:56:00 AM »
Here is mine mated with a set of longs.

Offline bentpole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2007, 07:50:00 AM »
ALL I can say is WOW .That riser is Black dymond wood Trashwood? Truely amazing.Saw pics of the riser on Bob's site but not a complete bow and what it can do.

Offline trashwood

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2007, 08:13:00 AM »
James - thanks for picking up the thread.  always nice to have your expertize.

bentpole - yes it is the black dymondwood.  the riser has a nice weight to it.  I shot the bow yesterday for a good long session.  I got on a hot streak and was ripping feathers and clanking arrows.  Bow is a pleasure to shot.

rusty

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2007, 08:15:00 AM »
Dang Rusty don't you ever sleep.  I see you posting at 1:30 am and again at 7.  Nice looking bow.

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline bentpole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2007, 08:20:00 AM »
Man you better start shootin one arrow at a time!

Offline James Wrenn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2007, 08:30:00 AM »
This is mine with my shorts on it.It makes a little bow that is only 53" long when strung.Perfect for those tight spots.I have my limbs backed off to work better for a 28" draw with the short bow.

Now with a change from the brass hardware to a little black it will be all dressed for the woods.  :)

....Quality deer management means shooting them before they get tough....

Offline bentpole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2007, 08:36:00 AM »
Very nice looks like Bob is going to be very very busy>

Offline James Wrenn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2007, 08:41:00 AM »
Yeah he has a real winner here.You can get the benifit of adjustability and still have a custom bow if you want it.Best of both worlds and like all Bob's bows the fit and finish is first class.I almost hate drilling holes in this one for a hunting stab.  :)

Offline JC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2007, 08:50:00 AM »
I'm just curious, so don't ya'll holler too loud at me, but why would someone want the olympic limbs when Bob's limbs are outperforming them and, at least to me, just as sweet to draw? Is it just the wait time that's attracting you to these limbs?
"Being there was good enough..." Charlie Lamb reflecting on a hunt
TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow

Offline James Wrenn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2007, 09:00:00 AM »
Well we are only talking one or 2fps difference in performance.The longs in my picture are foam cored glass limbs that cost $147 brand new.I can buy limbs for under $200 all the time and have them in 3 days.So yes that is a biggie.I have 4 sets of limbs now that would work out to being about the same cost as a well dressed set of custom limbs.These limbs will handle very light weight arrows if I want to shoot them.I am not sure what Bob's stand is on arrow weight from his limbs but a couple fps means nothing if you already have more performance than you need anyway.  :)  jmo

Offline JC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2007, 09:17:00 AM »
The 2-3fps is for the foam cored carbons...those cost on par with Bob's limbs. The foam cored fiberglass are more like 6-7fps difference from my experience.

I have no desire to shoot light arrows but I see your point on the cost however.
"Being there was good enough..." Charlie Lamb reflecting on a hunt
TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow

Offline Bob Morrison

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2007, 09:37:00 AM »
Its all about options.. With the ILF Riser you have the option to shoot lots of different limbs if you want.Ours, theres, What ever. If you have a limb blowup on an Elk hunt, Chances are you can get into town and find a set of ILF limbs. One of the main things I like about the setup is being able to change the tiller and adjust the weight, something I've been wanting to do on our bows anyway. So I'm kinda killing two birds with one arrow. This riser is not for everyone, but It is here if you want it. As for the arrow weight on our limbs I don't like to see anything under 9GPP shot out of our limbs. I've heard that with the Foam Carbons you can shoot 5GPP, Nothing I would hunt with, but if that is what want, I would recommend the foam carbon limbs. personally 10GPP minium for my hunting.

Bob

Offline James Wrenn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2007, 09:47:00 AM »
Yeah I am one of those that don't worry a lot about numbers.As long as a bow shoots good and is capabably of putting a simmons out the far side with bow weights and arrows I like to shoot it really is no biggie to me.I can drop arrow weight if I want more numbers or shoot a couple more lbs if I really feel like it is needed.My fastest bows if just going with the numbers have always been longbows anyway.Recurves are cool because you can shoot short ones and get a riser with good mass.I like the ilf because it always gives me options. :)Normally I would not like a bow as short as the one in the picture.By having the option of changing the limb angle with the ilf fittings it feels like a different bow and is well suited for my draw length on it.By changing the weight a half pound I was able to bring my bareshaft back to center on the target which makes tuning to shoot an arrow I want to use so easy.These kind of things far out weigh numbers for me.  :)

Offline trashwood

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2007, 12:11:00 PM »
JC - I already have 6 pair of ILF limbs   :)  .  to me the real question is why would anyone who already ILF not want a Morrison ILF riser.  Man I just can't think of a reason!!!

Now Bob has given me the opportunity to way exapand the use of my 3 and 4 hunderd dollar limbs. [that i already had].  Man that just tickles me pink.  

Now the fact that the limbs may not be the hottest limbs out there as far as speed goes doesn't bother me in the least.  they are tuff, stable, smooth limbs, that put the arrow where I want it.  when ya couple them with Bob's riser for me I have a dream bow   :)  

rusty

Offline trashwood

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2007, 12:24:00 PM »
Let's say that you have a bend for target archery as well as bowhunting.  You have a top of the line Olympic riser and a couple of pair of Hoyt G3 limbs ($500 a pair).  You use the rig for NFAA, IFAA and FITA indoor. Ya got like $2K invested in your target rig. Oh man guess what for $500 ya can take your target investment and go pig, turkey, hog, moose, squirrel, javie, and you name it hunting with what ya already have invested.

The fact is it ain't just any old bowhunting riser either.  It is a riser made by the bowyer who makes one of the finest line of traditional bows out there.  

would you buy one?   :)  

Now the reverse can apply to.  You want to bowhunt but in the back of your mind you have a interest in target shooting.  you can get Bob's riser and a pair of ILF riser and ya'as good to go.  later when ya decide to go target shooting ya cna get ya a 25" inch riser and use the ILF limbs off your Morrison riser.

rusty -tickled pink- Craine

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©