3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Drawn for Utah bowhunt  (Read 408 times)

Offline dragonheart

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Drawn for Utah bowhunt
« on: June 01, 2009, 01:31:00 PM »
I was drawn for Utah bowhunt and I am going with a buddy of mine and his family.  Any suggestions about hunting mulies in Utah?  I have never been to the west hunting, but have backpacked through Colorado and New Mexico.  Any suggestions?  We will have a base camp, and I would like to avoid all the four wheelers, I was advised this was an issue for the group the year before.

Jeff Schulz
Longbows & Short Shots

Offline knobby

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Drawn for Utah bowhunt
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2009, 03:57:00 PM »
Jeff, I've only hunted the Manti La Salles outside of Moab, but other than our backpack trips up there, the four-wheelers were everywhere. When we packed in, we had a great time. But packing in probably isn't what you're looking for with a family involved. Really, when we were there, if you got away from the immediate area around the roads, the hunting was still alright. The sound of the ATV's was still there, but few guys left the roads (or their ATV's). There are plenty of places for a base camp for the family. You'd just have to get awa from the roadside a little to hunt it. But don't even THINK about going there on Labor Day weekend to hunt. We made that mistake once, and it was very crowded. It's nice country that can be steep, but not too rugged to get around. I don't know where your tags are good for, but I can give suggestions if you want to hunt that area.    knobby

Offline dragonheart

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2009, 07:55:00 PM »
I have drawn for the southeastern region.  We are going early opening day.  It is not a family trip, I am going to be with expeiecnced Bowhunters.  Some of the crew are in their late 60's and not into the more difficult backpack bowhunt and have hunted Utah before.  Are there any wilderness areas in the southeastern region to escape the 4 wheelers?
Longbows & Short Shots

Offline Biggie Hoffman

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2009, 08:25:00 PM »
I drew as well and am going with Wolf Hollow Outfitters on opening week.
My 1st trip to Utah so I can't help much, sorry.
PBS Life Member
Member 1K LLC

"If you are twenty and aren't liberal you don't have a heart...if you're forty and not conservative you don't have a brain".....Winston Churchill

Offline steadman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2009, 11:41:00 PM »
If you want pm me with any details, and I can help you out. I've hunted SE a lot, but it's a huge area. Biggie, why'd you go with an outfitter, could have just tagged along with me   :saywhat:    ;) , but I do require you wear pants.
By the way, tons of rain and snow this past fall, should be great horn growth! Come on August...
" Just concentrate and don't freak out next time" my son Tyler(age 7) giving advise after watching me miss a big mulie.

Offline steadman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2009, 11:42:00 PM »
Dang it.. I meant great rain and snow this spring, not fall
" Just concentrate and don't freak out next time" my son Tyler(age 7) giving advise after watching me miss a big mulie.

Offline just_a_hunter

• Corporate Sponsor
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2009, 12:05:00 AM »
That's home for me. Southeast Utah I mean. I'm willing to bet knobby was hunting the west side of the mountain. Ohwah/Warner country. Perhaps Gyser pass and some of the Dawn's lake country. Lot's of country on that mountain too get away from the folks a little.

We've P.M.ed each other, dragonheart. If you know the LaSal's, it's a great mountian to hunt.

Here is my last years hunt in Southeast Utah  if you're interested.

Todd
"Before you get down on yourself  because you don't have the things you want, think of all the things you DON'T want that you don't have."

You'll notice the "luckiest" elk hunters have worn out boots.

Offline Biggie Hoffman

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2009, 07:52:00 PM »
Steadman...thanks for the offer of the hospitality. Wolf Hollow donated the hunt to the PBS auction and I bought it there.
Next time though.........  :-)
PBS Life Member
Member 1K LLC

"If you are twenty and aren't liberal you don't have a heart...if you're forty and not conservative you don't have a brain".....Winston Churchill

Offline tim roberts

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2009, 02:51:00 PM »
Biggie, Where in Utah will you be hunting?
Tim

TGMM Family of the Bow

I guess if we run into the bear that is making these tracks, we oughta just get off the trail.......He seems to like it!  
My good friend Rudy Bonser, while hunting elk up Indian Creek.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©