3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: 2009 Bowbuild/bearhunt stories  (Read 1498 times)

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: 2009 Bowbuild/bearhunt stories
« Reply #40 on: June 05, 2009, 10:17:00 PM »
OK, WHo's bear?????

Offline Littlefeather

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: June 06, 2009, 09:28:00 AM »
That ain'y my bear. Mine has a sore leg and a new respect for carbon.

Is that Shanes bear? Gotta be one Ted slayed.   :D  

I tried to email the bear vid to Sal yesterday, I just can't seem to figure this stuff out. It's not as simple as stick and string. Sorry.CK

Offline Ted Fry

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: June 06, 2009, 02:58:00 PM »
Yeah Curtis , good guess. I dont have pics of Shanes bear, where is Shane? Shane you out there buddy?
Krister had several encounters as well but either the bears werent in the right spot ( sneaky bear) or he was shaking so bad he couldnt get to anchor.
He told me at one point the bears could hear him swallow.
Scott had both a big black and a big brown in several times but neither would give him the perfect shot, at one point the black one was at 8 yards but wouldnt open up that front leg , kudos for him not just shooting, 8 yards on the ground and having the stones to hold out.
Speaking of stones I hope Curtis can get that video on here , he was just about dancing distance from the bear at one point .

Not a recommended way to pack out a bear , but I had two more in the vicinity and didnt want to mess up the spot for someone else. Notice the scar on the forehead, found some cedar arrow splinters under the scalp as well , someone has a good story. Weitas crew, Jesse, Lois, Ted and Gary.  Ted doing some the work. Jesse with the musical entertainment.

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: June 07, 2009, 06:04:00 PM »
Great pix Ted...

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: June 07, 2009, 07:42:00 PM »
good stuff fellas!!   :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:    :clapper:
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline Ted Fry

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: June 07, 2009, 07:58:00 PM »
Well I got pestered by a couple of guys for the story so here goes.
First week was spent with three great clients Paul , Rex and Randy. One night at a bait we call Mosquito ( for good reason) Rex ended up with four wolves at the site within 5 yards, Rex was to the left of the bait in what was left of a root wad hole that remains after a tree falls over, now imagine , your first bear hunt ever , you are 6-7 yards from the bait on the ground and four wolves show up, they caught movement ( probably shaking) and poof they were gone.
Next night on his way in at about 3:00 in the afternoon he sees there is already a bear at the bait , a big black one no less, Rex decides there is no way he can stalk it from where he is so decides to break a stick in hopes the bear will run a short distance and return.
Well the plan worked , the bear ran up the hill only to return just as fast, Rex decides to try the stick idea again,now you can imagine what the bear was thinking " Did I hear something? Naw , musta been a stick falling out of a tree". Rex had not made it to the tree hole  and the stick idea worked the first time , sooo . Well the bear shot out of there not to return again that evening, note to self , only do the stick breaking idea once. Bears thoughts again , "yep I did hear something , Patoooey he was outa there.
Randy had a pretty dry week and so did Paul , the weather was still pretty cold with snow from time to time and rainy most days. The next week was much better both bear and weather wise, the nicer it got the more the bears came out to play.
The first day we all started on the bows , Krister I knew would want to work with Yew , Shane and Scott both Osage, Josh I had brought a nice hickory stave as I knew he was going to be busy with the filming for Backland Outdoors TV show that was filming both bear hunting and bow building for a future show. Shane as I had mentioned earlier had arrived without any of his luggage, no worries , I had a couple of extra bows , arrows and an extra wool jacket I had brought in case Curtis got cold ( he doesn't like cold). I wouldnt tell the hunt part , as I was not there with him but I will tell you that he did shoot a bear the first night in the stand, he was in one that several that have hunted with us know as the Switchback bait. That was a great way to start off the week.
As the week continued the weather held out at a nice 70-80 durring the day and nice upper 40s to lower 50s at night ( good sleeping temp), even Curtis was comfortable. One day we had thunder showers and it was terrible humid ( Shane and Curtis were right at home). Curtis had a few close calls ( I will let him tell) and Shane had , well lets say several close encounters ( I will let him tell). The week continued and bows were looking good , what more could you ask for. Nice weather , bow building and hunting bears every day. I was hunting as well but not seeing much,only one sow with a cub.
Like all good things it finally came to an end and I was taking out this group and picking up another, going out and back in is an adventure all in itself ( right guys)?
That night I sat at the bait we call angry sow, very slow till I saw the sow and cub come sneaking in, not long after they came in and settled in I saw another bear sneaking around down the hill in the heavy brush , this must be the on Krister calls sneaky bear I said to myself.
The sow and cub felt the presence of the other bear and left the scene, sneaky bear took almost an hour to work his way in, the whole time walking like a bear that was on full alert, a sure sign there is a bigger bear around.
Finally he was at the bait, jumpy as all get out, I couldnt move a muscle with out him looking my direction, I even tried swallowing and Krister was right , he jumped up and looked right at me , holy smokes I thought , they can hear you swallow.
Light was fading quickly as it does here in the mountains , one minute its bright daylight , then wham , its dark. I knew I needed to do something but the bear would not give me a shot, keeping himself facing toward my stand and looking up every 10 seconds.
Suddenly he walked over to the edge of the drop off behind the bait and looked down hill giving me a quartered away shot I prefer , I gripped my bow and drew back the obsidian tipped arrow and let fly, only to see the arrow hit the bear right in the solid bone of the shoulder blade, the bear turned to run and the arrow just fell to the ground.
After a bit I got down and walked to where my arrow was laying , after seeing what poor penetration I had gotten I swore to never again shoot and obsidian point at an animal of bear size, the point had broke right at the hafting , something that I have not seen flint and chert do in my experience.
Back to camp in what we call the walk of humility, reach down and pull up your emotions and keep on going I kept telling myself.
The next day I hunted another bait and the guy that sat at the one I had been at much to my relief saw the same bear , limping slightly but none the worse for wear , it amazes me the durability of a bear, that bear was back almost everyday but would never come in close enough for a good shot. The fellow that took my place in that stand had much to his dismay more bears that he could handle for the whole week but nothing that would present a shot that he could shoot, mostly smaller bears along with mom and two cubs, at one point mom , who knew where he was charged the tree , stood on her hind legs and roared at the object in the stand , he was tight as a wire when he made it in to the dinner table.
I had moved to the site that Curtis and Rex had beed hunting the two weeks prior , Mosquito. ( Thank God for Therma cells).
I had decided after having a sow with cub come in and walk right up to where I was on the ground that these bears also knew right where the ground blind was, so I hung a stand about 6 feet off the ground in a cedar tree between where the tree hole Rex had been in and the ground blind Curtis had been in. I sat for 4 days with nothing coming in during daylight hours, keep at it I kept telling myself , just like I tell the clients , put in your time and it will happen.
I was sitting in the stand getting a little stiff, ( I am 50 now)so I decided to stand and stretch a bit, I had my bow in hand with an arrow on the string just in case, I as eased up I saw a bit of movement uphill and to my left, there was a nice black bear coming down one of the blow down trees , headed right toward me, I didnt even sit back down , no time , just mentally prepared myself for a shot. The bear walked right up to the bait like he owned it , I could tell this was the boss bear, a good size , mature male.
He walked a little bit past the bait , downhill and to my left only to what I assume was to catch a bit of my scent, the wind was swirling all afternoon, he turned and started to walk up hill , you could tell he really wanted to bolt but just kept his cool and started moving, he paused and that was all I needed , I drew the arrow tipped with a Zephyr Sasquatch broadhead back to anchor , picked a spot on the last rib angled toward the off leg and let fly, there was no doubt when I released that arrow, that was a dead bear.
He turned quickly and tore out of the area , I watched as he leapt over logs and through brush as best I can, suddenly I saw him stumble and could swear I saw him fall behind a log, Whew, I sat back down and started to deal with the shakes. I pulled out my radio to call in and my wife informed me one of the other hunters , Jack had shot a bear as well, just as I quit talking I saw movement uphill and to my left , a bear going uphill, NO! I thought that cant be, I hit that bear perfect and now there he is going uphill away from me, something fatally hit bears rarely do, doubt settled in , first elation then doubt, did I not hit where I thought I did , was it to far back?
Then I saw the bear turn and walk toward me, it was another bear, not the one I shot, then I saw another only this one brown coming from my right uphill, oh my God two more coming in, I grabbed another arrow and sat down to try to get my emotions in order in case I had the opportunity to take a second bear. This part of Idaho is a two bear unit.
As it worked out neither of the two came in during daylight, they milled around , smelling the bigger bear and not wanting to deal with him.
I found my bear 70 yards from the stand right where I had seen him fall, I didnt want to disrupt the goings on around the bait site with skinning and quartering by headlamp and run off the other bears so I had my friend Tom come and help me get it up on my shoulders and help pull me up to standing and started the task of packing him out whole as you see in the picture, I made it about 1/4 mile and could go no further , we also were far enough away to deal with him. That bait was hit not long after we left.
Great time in camp that night , good friends , cold beer and bear stories.
Two more days and it was time for at least my wife , son and myself to head back to the outside world , we drug our feet packing , not wanting to leave this part of paradise.
Thank you to all that shared our camp this year, you are family now.

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: June 09, 2009, 11:59:00 AM »
Wheres all the other stories & pix?????

Offline RexaRooney

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: June 09, 2009, 03:58:00 PM »
Ted,

Seems as though you have some facts incorrect.  

I'll let the great folks on here hear from me, StickBreaker himself.

Let me gather my thoughts and get back to this thread.

It'll be a while as i'm at work right now and might have to hit the field anytime.  

Ted....I'll see you in a couple weeks.

Curtis...I know what happened as told from Ted...come on Man!  Not as easy as Texas Pigs huh?
Stick Breaking is my game, stalking is not.

Offline Littlefeather

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: June 09, 2009, 04:41:00 PM »
LOL! The hard part was getting the bears to quit walking over and looking in your hole Rex. What were you doing in there? I actually had bears in there every day. I passed four times on the small sow and then got a shot one day at the big black bear with the brown muzzle. It was late and I got a deflection off some unseen, baren conifer twiglet. I let that young sow get to within 6 feet of me one day before I let out a lip squeek to let her know there was more there than just my video camera. I think she was about to lick the lense. I simply ran low on stones once I could smell her breath.

THEN, one day while the sow came real close to look in your hole I got distracted. I was casually sitting on the ground with my back against a tree while looking over the sow. I look back to my right just in time to see the brown muzzle bear walk across not 4-5 yards from me. I'm not sure how he didn't see me and investigate but I started paying much better attention from there on out.

One day I had 4 bears cruising the timber all around me. Every time I looked another direction I could see bears flashing through the underbrush. They'd come in and mess around and then sneak off only to return again later. I went to get some interaction time with the bears more than anything. I seem to be getting more and more soft these days and find I'm enjoying close interaction with the critters instead of killing them upon first sight. This trip fullfilled all the bear dreams I'd ever had. I got close. I MEAN REALLY, REALLY CLOSE to bears and had a fantastic time feeling all the adrenaline both while on stand and while walking through the darkness while on treck back to camp.
The biggest adrenaline rush of my life came one night when I stopped in the darkness to listen for any movement ahead. I always walk without a light so my eyes are adjusted in case something happens. This time something DID happen. I stopped to listen and a really, really big moose was standing there beside the bog. He/she was like a 2000# quail flushing out from under foot. I didn't have time to do anything but sit down right there and cry for Mommy. It was like a train took off through the trees. Trees don't stop a moose. I'm not sure anything does.  :saywhat:   Carry-on. CK

Offline Shaun

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: June 09, 2009, 07:58:00 PM »
CK, was it worse than the cougar in your yard? You crack me up dude. Love that getting close to critters stuff.

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: June 09, 2009, 09:22:00 PM »
Close incounter of the CK kind... Sounds like you had a great outting CK...

Offline Ted Fry

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: June 10, 2009, 11:58:00 AM »
Thats good Curtis  " sit down and cry for Mommy"
Your energy level was surely on overload when you came in that night, 200 # quail thats good as well,
kinda like Jesse when he came in after having the close encounter with three wolves by himself.
Sal , not sure what happened to Shane or Krister but sometimes going home after a trip like this is a major culture change, no phones , no electricity , computers, very few people and just the great outdoors , then WHAM , your right back in the thick of Siphilization.  Give them time , they will come forward.

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: June 10, 2009, 01:05:00 PM »
O I know Ted... I just busting Balls.. Relax, unpack and get those stories & pix on here.... Sorry relaps...LOL

Offline RexaRooney

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: June 12, 2009, 05:17:00 PM »
Let's see how this goes....If the pics didn't come through correctly I'll edit.  No images where I wanted them.....Enjoy folks...

It all started when I bought a Fred Bear Grizzly from a coworker that needed some touch up work.  Next thing you know Randy and I are in Raptor Archery in Hood River OR getting some “work” done.  I thought we’d be outa there in no time……four hours later we were signed up to take Ted’s bow building class….what a con artist  Might’ve well been Billy Mayes selling his wares.

He talked a big story about guiding for Black Bear in Idaho for Weitas Creek Outfitters, Hey Gary and Sue!  After looking through his photo album Randy and I decided that we would make a commitment to hunt Idaho in 2010.  With the business we’re in our schedule is hit and miss.  I could be in New England and he in Puerto Rico with no chance of a hunt together.

We spent two days building our bows at Raptor Archery, it’s more like Raptor Museum, what a history lesson we got folks.  If any of you ever need a fix on Traditional Archery history, Ted’s the man with the shop to prove it!  It was truly an honor to have Ted under our wings.  My triceps and shoulders were sore for 2 days after working with that wood.  

I’ve crossed over from the dark side and kick myself for not going trad in ‘88 after returning from the Philippines.  My Brother and best bud had been into archery and I picked up my first bow and killed my first Deer that year.

I’d be as good as Ted by now, heck, maybe even Gary…Oh well; it’s never too late to learn something new.  Gary sure helped me a bunch with my form at bear camp this year, thanks Gary, I’m now a Man!  “Is that was Full Draw means”? Ha!

Ted spoke with Randy weeks later and said that Gary was looking to fill 2 spots this year.  On this gig it’s nearly impossible for Randy and me to take time off at the same time.  Operations tempo at work was a bit slow and after a day of phone calls we got the time off.  High fives and wide smiles were the norm around work and at our alternate homes.  It’s all we talked about at work…”Hey Bob, did you hear that Rex and I are going Bear hunting”?...”Yeah, I’ve heard it every day for 3 weeks now”!....it was funny, for us anyways.

I spoke with Sue and booked us immediately before we lost our slots.  She was fantastic to talk to, answered all my questions, and we found out later, had a wonderful smile.  Gary, you landed a keeper there my friend.  Don’t screw it up. Ha  

Randy and I have been known to tip back a few with the local populous.  We decided to show up in Kamiah two days early to take in some after hours activities.  It was the first time in my life that I was offered fish for beer, not kidding.  This dude was Deeeeeeeeee R U N K.  Not knowing how old this “fish” was I declined.  Randy and I were like two black eyed peas in a pot of white rice in this bar.  We felt comfortable though, as there’s nearly 600 lbs of flesh, bone, sharp teeth and tattoos, between us.  It woulda been like dominoes if something went down.

The phone rang early the next morn, I rose and thought to myself  “This better be good”.  Of course I had a raging hang over, not good in the situation that was about to unfold.

It was Ted!  “Hey, good morning”!  I’m thinking…”Why is Ted calling me this early and a day early”?  

“You guys wanna go out today”?  “Hell ya”!  After working out the details it was on, and the longest day of our lives started.

Randy and I checked out of the hotel and wolfed down some great breakfast at The Hub, what a great place to hang out, however I still have cigarette smoke in my pores!  

Ted met us there with Lois and Jesse, and then we were off to parts unknown to us.  The winding road out of town led us into the most spectacular hunting grounds I’ve ever seen.

Of course Gary and Sue were part of the convoy up to the trail head.  We stopped along the side of the road to get what was to be the last watering hole before we got to camp…Randy didn’t understand that…he found out later when he was asking for water like he’s just walked through the Mojave.  We’re out of cell phone range by now and we wouldn’t know if North Korea had landed during the week.  It was unreal as to the thought of not knowing what was going in the world; I was good with it though.  All we knew is that we were in Gods country now.  Randy and I made a pact not to talk job on the trip, I had left Camp Bonneville in the back of my mind a long time ago, maybe when I drove off site 2 days earlier.

We finally arrived at the trailhead.

What surprised me was that SpongeBob only carried so many folks and gear, (I thought it was more like an Argo I’ve operated in Alaska that carries 4 and gear) three snow machines also came off the trailer, I knew a specific number of bodies and gear had to get from point A to B.  Hmmmmmm, “Am I going to have to ride one of those sleds to camp”?  

Gary looked at me pointed to one of his sleds….”You take that one”…”Thinking to myself”…..”OK”….I wasn’t about to tell him that I’ve only ridden one years ago, only about 30 yards or so”…scary machine, Yahaha XYZPDQ 600 or something like that.  Well, long story short, it bucked me off like a rented Mule a couple hundred feet down the road, and this machine was like a snail vs a cat on fire of years before.

I was already bleeding for Christ’s’ sake!!…and we had 30 miles to go!  Where’s Lewis and Clark when I need them!  “This is going to be fun, I thought to myself.  I lasted a few more miles and Gary kicked me off the darn thing, prolly for “Taking my time”….Hey Gary, I was faster that Sponge!  My back certainly wasn’t going to make the trip on that sled (Surgery in Dec 08)….I’m a broke fella, lots of other stories not associated with this trip.    

Sponge was a better seat….”I thought”….until my boots nearly melted off like I was some gigantic grilled cheese sandwich!  It was like being a frozen pizza in a toaster oven in there!  At least I know how a sardine might feel like in those little tins!  I could tell Gary was hardcore, he acted like it anyways, you know, walk tough, talk tough, look tough….the whole getup…big ole hat to cover that tiny head.  It’s not Hollywood Gary, it’s Idaho.  His freakin hat took up more space in that machine than my big ole melon of a head!  Thank God we packed light, huh Gary?  I could’ve packed my favorite blanky but your hat had to go instead.  I understood by the look he gave me to shut up for the ride  I wasn’t going to be myself with Gary yet as we were 29 or so miles from Camp…..and I was hungry and hung over.  Bad things for Rex.

In the end, the trip in was all worth it, no matter how we got there.  After cooking to a medium rare, sloshing through snow drifts, boot foot expressing it, feeling like I was in a Jeepney back in the PI, we arrived in the most pristine place with accommodations I’ve ever been.

After all the water pipes broke and dreams of taking a hot shower went onto the floor and out of the walls all I wanted was to eat something.  Gary was on it already bless his heart!  While Ted was fighting spraying water everywhere fried Spam and chili was brewing….Right On!  Spam!  Randy and I have a can on our fridge if hell freezes over, to be eaten only in a “last resort” situation.  Good stuff right there.  Hey Gary, another idea for hot days up there, put a stick in it, freeze it, and viola, a Spamsicle!  I could be a millionaire by now with that one!  “Note to self, “Get on it Rex”.

I didn’t know Ted was a plumber, a welder, a mechanic, a fire starter, a cook, whatever he wanted to be.  I needed a massage but that wasn’t on Ted’s list of jobs.  I bet Lois got her “Massage”  What was the code word Ted?…..”Clean the cabin” Ha!  No wonder Jesse went hunting squirrels all the time  You dog you

We were there to hunt Bears.  We wanted to hunt right now!  Gary just shook his head at Randy and me.  He was in for a real treat with him and me in camp.  Randy and I could make Sam Kinison wake from the dead and laugh.  

It was like an extended family there.  Big Brothers, little Bro’s, Mom, Dad, pets, only thing I didn’t get was a butt woopin…..almost though (breaking sticks)

Ted had always told me that he had a bait just for me.  It was called Mosquito Bait…for a reason, although it wasn’t Thermacell bad that week.

Ted walked me in from camp the first night as Gary wasn’t back yet with the third client, Paul from Wisconsin, whom we’d later meet that eve, great guy…”Hey Paul” if you’re here.  Ted practically double timed it and my big frame kept up pretty good.  Down the road and over the “Obstacle” of a foot bridge we went.  Ted looked back to make sure I wasn’t in the water as the plank on the bridge wobbled a bit.  Great, I’m going in the water before I get to nock an arrow!  What next, attacked by Wolves?

We walked through the swamp, I didn’t see any huge quail Curtis, did you have a diaper on?  You prolly could’ve used one huh?  By your size you could wear Batman underoos

Ted pointed out the trail markers, a milk white bone (take a right going in, a left coming out), a downed tree, a sign, some old faded flagging ribbon to signal bear bait ahead.

We left the trail, walked under, over, and through the windfall, prolly just about 100 yards or so.  Ted pointed to a hole in the ground.   It’s a pretty small hole, I’m a big guy, and I thought 2+2 is not 5.  He pointed at the bait, looked back at me…”Can you make that shot”?...”Yup”, we shook hands and he was off like a ghost.  I looked back to get my bearings and locked them in my head.

I got ready…..for 5 freakin days!  Gary and Ted got the Honda 90’s going and I rode that to the bridge daily.  To others I prolly looked like some giant bear in a circus on a mini bike.  I sat in Angry Sow one eve with no sign of bear, one night in riparian bait, no bear.

One day I asked Gary what to do if there was a bear on the bait when walking in…he said “Stalk’em”…I’m thinking, “Right, this big boned, fleshy substance of a man being quiet in the woods…..Riiiiiiiiiiggggggghhhhhttttttt.”

Gary and I spent some time stump shooting and chatting that day, what a great guy and teacher.  He was instrumental in getting my shooting form on track.  I got ready and headed out, forgot my blunt so stump shooting and warming up after the bridge was out the door.

I left the trail for about 10 yards or so, stopped, looked both directions, up and down that draw….BAM!  Big bear!....15-20 Yds from the bait and comin’ in like he owned the place!  Crap!.....I’m 20-30 minutes late!  I was 80-90 yards out….what to do, what to do….”Remember what Gary said today”.  ”I need some distance to make up before he hits that bait”.  I picked up a stick, Crack!  The bear took off 15-20 uphill from the bait.  I did the same, making up about 10-15 as well.  A tad slower than the bear…I’m unsure why….duh.  

He stopped, turned, looked back on three legs, and came back in…..cool.  Hey it worked once, lets try this stick breaking method one more time…..I figure 4-5 more times I’ll be in shootin range!  Yeah baby!  I could see myself in the photo already!  Big bragging rights at camp, my first bear with any bow and arrow, and a stalking method to tell about for the rest of my life were all I could think about.

Crack!  He was gone like Jimmy Hoffa!  All I saw was a fat rump, hair, and dreams leave the world.  He was a large bear, beautiful, not a mark on him from that distance.  I shook my head, I knew Gary wasn’t going to be happy.  I also knew that I had to tell the truth about the “Sticks” as that’s the kinda guy I am.  I’m not going to learn to hunt bears if I tell fibs and not let the guys that do this for a living have a chance to slap my hand.  Lesson learned, I took the hit.

I got in my hole, oh, and Curtis, what happened in that hole will stay in Idaho…..just like Vegas man!  That hole will be very productive for years to follow.  It’s a secret recipe.  It was my palace, modified seat section, water bottle section, pack section, bow ready section, it was a great site……as I found out 3 hours later!

I’m standing now as I can’t nap thinking about bears snuggling up to me, bow on my pack ready for deployment, my heads on a swivel scanning left and right, moving slowly, eyes first, then head (lots of head).  I scan right….Bear!...10 yds maybe less to my right, just off where you had sat Curtis.  He sniffed the air, not seeing or smelling me, taking his time.  He was a smaller bear and he knew it.  He was cautious.  My bow was on my pack and I hoped he was to take the path behind that larger fir tree…4-5’ in diameter.  He did, when his head disappeared, I picked up my bow and got into shooting stance, bow arm up, Zephyr tipped AD arrows ready to perform.

He was on the bait….he looked around, looked right through me, sniffed the air some more, smelled a branch that the bigger bear had left scent earlier on, then got into it.  Every time he moved a stick from the pile he looked up and around checking his six.  Surprisingly I wasn’t nervous as I thought I’d be.  This all happened pretty quickly.

A small cedar bow popped up during his excavation…right on the sweet spot!  Great, I have a spot to pick other than hair or a shadow of a crease.  His head went in the hole for a bite and I drew my bow about 3 inches.  He was Gone!  Bolted 10-15 yards looked around and sniffed the air.  I’m thinking I’m screwed, how am I going to take this jacket off that just caused me to possibly lose my opportunity at taking a bear.  He came back to the bait and was now feeding quartering away from me….no shot, and how am I going to draw my bow anyway when he can hear a whisper of clothing moving!  I could feel the wind in my face, “Cool”, wind is normal, he’s feeding, bow ready.  My ears tell me that the wind is changing…then my neck tells me…..I know this is going to be over in the same amount of time it takes me to type this.

He took off like he was in a track and field competition.  “Runners are you ready?  His head went down, had this “Oh #$%^” look in his eyes.  “Bang”…Runner was off, a long dash to safety.  It was over in less than 10 minutes.  

What a rush, two bears in one sit.  Curtis, sounds like I had them comin’ in for ya.  What a great bait!  I don’t recall any obstacles in the way of an arrow either…clear sailing if I had a shot.  

Cool, I have stories to tell back at camp, and I know for a fact that I’ll catch hell for the stick breaking!  It’s OK… I’m sure it won’t be the last time I go through life without learning a lesson.  I heard it alright, and for the rest of my life from Ted, Gary, Randy, and Paul, even little Jesse….who used his BB Gun more than his longbow…..put that gun down and hunt the critters with your bow Jess

Maybe tomorrow will be my day.  Ted let me borrow his wool jacket so I wouldn’t have the same problem.  Folks, never take Rivers West gear into a bear hunt, wear it at camp, great rain gear but not silent enough to draw a bow in close encounters with black bears.  You’re right guys; these bears could hear you swallow.  Not me, I held my breath and broke sticks

The next day brought anticipation and anxiousness.  Shooting, chatting, being the camp humming bird whisperer, and taking an old fashioned GI shower were tasks for the day.  That wood stove heated water and a wash cloth was the ticket!  Trust me, it was luxury.

I headed out daydreaming of bring home my first bear.  Today I left a bit earlier and had time to shoot a couple stumps on the way out.  It felt good to let some fly on the trail.  It was my second to the last sit, I was ready.

Leaning against the crook of the cedar tree my watch said four o’clock.  I thought I heard some noise to my right.  I turned and noticed some movement above an old blow down tree that was about 2’ high and covered with moss…what the?????  I picked up my bow.

One Wolf, two, three……..over the top of this tree!  Then the big guy, a huge male!  Over the top, surveying the area, long legs, huge head, and eyes like some kinda demon.  Biggest dog I’ve ever seen in front of me.  He strides straight to me…..none of them know I’m in the world.  I’m thinking…Ok, there’s 4 Wolves within 30 yards of me and one of them is at 5 YARDS!  He stops in his tracks heading right for me and sniffs the ground where Gary and Ted have laid track to bait.  Thanks Gary and Ted….he might’ve had an arrow in him without coming to full draw if he’d kept coming!

He bolted back and away from me without seeing me.  They all mingled a bit around the site and disappeared like ghosts in the fallen timber.  I tried to get Gary and Ted on the radio but didn’t have comms.  I felt as though it was a waste of time to sit there buy hey, I’m there to hunt and take it all in.  They howled some time later near the creek.  What a sound in the dead calm.  I always went back to what Ted said to us…”Remember, you’re the biggest, baddest, thing in these woods”.  

When I left, earlier than normal as you can imagine, there were heavy elk track in the trail where the bone was…heading into the swamp.  He was in a hurry, maybe the wolves caught smell of him and he high tailed it out of the county.

WOW!!!!! Another story!  All the time Randy hasn’t seen anything with a shoulder height above 2 inches, I felt bad, but not really bad.  

I sat over one more bait and it was over.  No bear to take home to Momma but what an experience.  From the trip in and out, to the great food and cooking, the company and conversation, it was an experience I’ll never forget.  Being away from it all was worth all the blood , sweat, and tears (No one cried as far as I know)….Gary might’ve when I left.  Gary and Ted worked their butts off to put us on bears.  They were there alright but the weather didn’t cooperate, and a hunter  We had every weather pattern come through which played a major role in the movement of the animals.  Looks like the second week had it’s share of excitement, great times huh fellas?  I enjoyed the time around camp and the time leading up to heading out daily.  Would I do it again knowing I might not take a bear, you betcha.  That’s why it’s called hunting, not killing.  Would I do it again to meet some new folks from different parts of the world, sure.  I’m ready to book right now.    

In the end I saw bears, wolves, elk, owls, squirrels, whistle pigs, and Gary’s big hat.

Out from the Great Pacific Northwest

Rex                

Here's some pics....enjoy.

Randy warming up

I'm attempting to come to Full Draw! Huh Gary!

May the force be with me

Ted the mechanic

Mosquito bait view

My first attempt at arial shooting, I think I got this one!

The only bear Randy saw...we left it camp for a 3D Target, you're welcome Gary:)
Stick Breaking is my game, stalking is not.

Offline Ted Fry

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: June 13, 2009, 03:54:00 PM »
OMG Rex , what a hoot , I was trying to forget all the wolves, thanks for the reminder, Glad you had a good time and look forward to sharing next spring with you as well.
Great description of the moose Curtis , yes I have had that happen in that area as well, I always hate coming through that willow swamp for just that reason, thanks for sharing your story guys.

Offline treebeard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: June 16, 2009, 11:12:00 PM »
Ted, Didn't read through all the posts but was curious to know if there has been a satisfactory description of your bear's "texas headache"?

Offline BowHuntingFool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: June 16, 2009, 11:55:00 PM »
Awesome thread, I really enjoy these!
>>>---Joe Bzura---->

Big River Longbow 66" 52# @ 28"
Big River Longbow 66" 47# @ 28"
Big River Longbow 62" 52# @ 28"
Big River Recurve 60" 48# @ 28"
NewWood Longbow 58" 45# @ 28"

Wisconsin Traditional Archers
      Ojibwa Bowhunters

Offline Ted Fry

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: June 17, 2009, 01:08:00 PM »
No Sean , I do not feel there was enough on this, somebody needs to explain why there was cedar splinters under the skin on the side of the forehead. Somebody?

Offline Marvin M.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: June 18, 2009, 12:13:00 PM »
Great stories guys.  I've never really had a desire to hunt bears, but this is really cool stuff here.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©