3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: my first wood shafts  (Read 728 times)

Offline dj

• Trad Bowhunter
my first wood shafts
« on: March 25, 2007, 11:03:00 AM »
I am eagerly awaiting the delivery of my first dozen poc shafts, and am thinking about how to finish them once they arrive.  I'm considering a dark stain for the crown, the rest of the shaft left natural,  and maybe a simple crest at the base of the stain.  Correct me if I'm wrong here, but the basic order should be stain, oil based poly (for sealing), cresting, water based poly, and gasket lacquer (for ease of removal).  Although I'm familiar with poly, gasket lacquer is new to me. First, is it really a significantly better final coat than say two or more coats of water based poly  and second,  since I'm not planning, at least in the beginning, to use dip tubes can the gasket lacquer be wiped on the shafts??

As always, thanks for the help
dj
"Carve a little wood, pull a few strings, and sometimes magic happens".....Gepetto

Offline jacobsladder

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: my first wood shafts
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2007, 01:05:00 PM »
are you going to end up putting the water based poly over the oil base poly?
TGMM Family of the Bow

"There's a race of men that dont fit in, A race that can't stay still; So they break the hearts of kith and kin, And they roam the world at will"  Robert Service

Offline robslifts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2007, 01:15:00 PM »
make sure you use duco or fletching tape for your feathers or they will not stay on..  

just one question why seal after staining???  I have never done that and have not had a problem with it yet.

I also just stain crest cover with 3-6 coats of water based poly(brushed on)  or if I dip them in water base I dont thin it and one dip and dry it and they turn out great..

I like gasket lacquer but have had bad experiences with feathers sticking on it

just my opinion though
St. Joe River Bows

Offline jacobsladder

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2007, 01:30:00 PM »
I just started with woodies.. the arrows ive made are stained with oil based minwax stain.. and then two coats of helmans spar urethane... sand lightly between each coat... pretty simple. I  havent done any cresting.. but the wood grain looks beautiful and the feathers stick great with fletch tape. I would be careful putting anything water based over an oil base...
TGMM Family of the Bow

"There's a race of men that dont fit in, A race that can't stay still; So they break the hearts of kith and kin, And they roam the world at will"  Robert Service

Offline SOS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2007, 01:38:00 PM »
DJ,

I just made my first cedar arrows last month.  I just used Minwax waterbased stain, covered by 3-4 layers of wipe on poly.  I used spray paint to cap and testors paint to crest.  I sprayed a very LIGHT layer of two of clear over the cresting for a little protection.  Good luck, its fun!  Steve

Offline jacobsladder

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2007, 01:42:00 PM »
very pretty.... I hate to lose one... nice job!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Online The Whittler

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2007, 08:09:00 PM »
I crown with stain/paint, crest and then poly. Alan

Offline dj

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2007, 08:45:00 PM »
My plan to use oil based poly to seal the shafts after staining came from a post in the build along section of this site entitled, "Arrow Buildalong?????????" by fletcharrows.  It made good sense to me to use a penetrating oil poly to try to seal out any moisture that would tend to make the shafts warp.  However it seems that most just use the water base poly and call it good.  I guess the simpler the better.  dj
"Carve a little wood, pull a few strings, and sometimes magic happens".....Gepetto

Offline SOS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2007, 10:42:00 PM »
dj, the Wipe-on poly is oil based.  Drys quick and easy to apply with pieces of clean old t-shirts.  Just throw the square away after using - very easy clean up!

Offline Rufus

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2007, 12:37:00 PM »
I use foam brushes for applying my stains (minwax). After drying, I wipe them down really well with a cotton rag before applying poly( I use minwax poly also). If you don't dip, a foam brush will work for the poly, use the brush lightly. Probably,when dry, have to use fine steel wool, wipe with rag and apply poly again.
 Easy to make dip tube with 1.25" pvc. Just allow for expansion of liquid rising in tube when you cut to length. My wife knows full well about the mess I can make.
---------------------------------- Be kind, it don't hurt. R2
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©