3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Douglas Fir shafts  (Read 362 times)

Offline snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Douglas Fir shafts
« on: June 02, 2009, 12:49:00 PM »
I ran across this chart that shows the weight of wood. It listed the weight of these arrow woods:
Douglas Fir 33
Sitka Spruce 28

As I recall cedar was lower in weight than these. Just interesting to see the difference. I have been enjoying fir as I make and shoot arrows. Thought others might like to see this. The last 80#-85# shafts I bought ran about 480grs. Good weight and straight! Even in the lower spines you still get pretty good weight. I find them to be very durable too.
Isaiah 49:2...he made me a polished arrow and concealed me in his quiver.

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
Re: Douglas Fir shafts
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2009, 01:50:00 PM »
I'd be surprised if Cedar is lighter than Sitka spruce.  I've shot Doug firs on and off over the years.  Good, tough mid-weight shafting material.  Was often difficult to find good Doug fir though.  Often the grain runoff was pretty bad.  Just took delivery of a dozen Doug firs from Surewood Shafts.  It is without a question the best Doug fir shafting I've ever seen.  I'll be chasing elk this fall with the arrows I make from them.

Offline Russ Clagett

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2009, 04:35:00 PM »
Love those doug firs!

Tough though....they tear up the little taper tools...

Surewood can't be beat for straightness!

Offline snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2009, 06:11:00 PM »
You're right Orion. POC is 30. Just barely heavier than sitka spruce.

Offline Old York

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2009, 06:39:00 PM »
Okay, help me out - just what units are you chaps speaking here? Good thing my old chemistry teacher didn't see this, he'd mark you hosers all up with red ink, big fat "F", NO credit, etc., etc.   :scared:  !
"We were arguing about brace-height tuning and then a fistmele broke out"

Offline huey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2009, 08:18:00 PM »
I've have trouble tapering fir with a taper tool. The tool bites into the shaft and splits it or takes a chunk out. I do like the character of fir, straight, little more weight, flies well and seems to take a hit better. I don't have a disc sander and have not figured out how to use a taper block with a belt sander.

Offline portugeejn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2009, 09:10:00 PM »
It must have been the particular lot of Sitka Spruce I bought, but it was heavier by a bit than the POC I'd purchased in the past.  

I shoot the Doug Fir shafts from Surewood now.

RonP

Offline stump man

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2009, 09:19:00 PM »
I'm not familiar with your numbers snag.  Mass weight in wood is usually figured by specific gravity, with the value of 1 being equal to water. Thus anything with a value of less than one will float while anything over one will sink.

The forest service link:
 http://www2.fpl.fs.fed.us/TechSheets/softwood.html

They list POC as .39 green or .43 dry

Sitka    as     .37 green or .42 dry

coast doug fir as - .45 green(37%),.48(12%),.51(ovendry)

inland d fir as .46 green(34%),.50(12%),.52(ovendry)

interior north- as .45green(30%), .48(12%),.50(ovendry)

interor south -as .43 green(30%), .46(12%),  NA is ovendry

Note:  They list 4 different regions within the U.S. for fir because it's properties very as to where it comes from/grows. POC and sitka both are limited to the coastal region thus their properties are fairly constant. If they were available from the other regions i would venture their properties would very also.

Note:  the values listed for POC and Sitka don't identify as to what moisture content the samples were taken at so there may be error in comparing them. I'm assuming "green" for both POC and sitka would be at the 37% since they both come from the coastal region as the fir.  "dry" I can only assume means "ovendry"

Surewoods come from the "inland west" catagory (cascade range)not the coast, thus the numbers favor them not only in mass weight but in both spine and rupture strength.

If you have more information on this "chart you ran accross" I would love to see it. Perhaps it is a weight for a given mass somebody has recorded outside the boundries of specific gravity.  I'm currently working on just the same thing within the boundry's of Doug fir itself from the inland west region. Preliminary math looks to be .02 lbs/cu. in.(@30% mc)as a cutoff line.  Anything over will be made into surewoods, anything less will not.

stump

Offline snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2009, 11:05:00 PM »
I'll check the source. I thought it was a gov't source. I've got it bookmarked on another computer at work. I'll post it tomorrow. Thanks, David

Offline Surewood Bob

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2009, 12:30:00 AM »
I'm sure it is specific gravity you are talking about David. I can borrow the book that Steve Savage has that lists the specific gravity of hundreds of types of wood. Remember it is necessary to use a dics sanding type of tool to taper Doug fir. The grain will lift if you do not.
By the way, glad you like the shafts Jerry. Keep us posted on that elk hunt! You have elk in Wisconsin??

Fir Stick
"Having sampled *many* different brands and genus of wood shafting in the last 55 years of pulling bowstrings, yours are simply head and shoulders above the rest". ~ Rob DiStefano
 www.SurewoodShafts.com

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2009, 12:48:00 AM »
The Doug Fir shafting from Surewood is without a doubt first class. Straight, stiff, skinny and nice grain. Really good value!

Offline SlowBowinMO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2009, 08:39:00 AM »
The Surewood shafting is as good as it gets, we're pleased to be able to offer them.   :thumbsup:
"Down-Log Blind at Misty River"

Offline snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2009, 10:01:00 AM »
http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/wood-density-d_40.html
Here is the site Doug. It is density of seasoned wood. I got the POC info. from another site though. You are the expert on this stuff. So I am sure your info. is more accurate. I was just going by what this "engineering" site said. I am assuming that different batches of wood and spine weight and growth ring numbers per inch would vary also...?

Offline snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2009, 10:03:00 AM »
Thanks for listing this site Doug. It obviously is a much better source of info. on wood than the one I found!

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2009, 11:03:00 AM »
Bob:  We have a few elk in Wisconsin.  They were reintroduced several years ago.  Not a huntable population yet, and it will be difficult to establish a season if the population ever does reach a critical mass.  I'll be chasing them in Colorado this year.

Offline stump man

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2009, 08:25:00 PM »
Snag:
  got the link.  Pretty good stuff.  What they refer to is a specific weight or weight per unit volume. In this case lbs/cu. ft.(ol york).  Not the standard refrence to water or specific gravity as in most instances.

It's hard to compare numbers from different sources/charts unless you know the moisture content at which each of the samples where taken. The chart you refered to says "seasoned and dry". Their definition may be different than mine but mine equates to about 18% moisture content here in the Willamette Valley if sampled in Dec-Jan.  Or perhaps as low as 10% if you sampled in Eastern Oregon in say July. 8% = 2 1/2 lbs difference in our one cubic foot sample.  More extreme yet is if our sample is still green and in the woods with a 35% moisture content.  Your 33 lb one cubic foot sample turns into less than 25 lbs once it drys to 10% moisture content. Less than the Sitka number refered to.

Very few of the charts (even the forest service)state moisture content of their samples.  It is sad and it makes it very hard trying to tell the differences.

Offline Old York

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2009, 07:52:00 AM »
Snag & Stump, the "density" makes sense now, thanks for the links.
"We were arguing about brace-height tuning and then a fistmele broke out"

Offline snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2009, 09:47:00 AM »
Stump, we would think there would be one standard at one specific moisture level...? Guess this is just like finding parts for your car!

Offline Paul Mattson

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2009, 10:03:00 AM »
If anyone is interested in wood, check this site out.  
 http://www.fpl.fs.fed.us/

Offline Paul Mattson

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2009, 12:28:00 PM »
I forgot to mention, that I just got in a good selection of Surewood shafts. These are some of the best wood shafts that you will find.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©