3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Shoulder question  (Read 245 times)

Offline Barney

• Trad Bowhunter
Shoulder question
« on: June 02, 2009, 08:50:00 PM »
Dr. says I have nerve and muscle damage in my shoulder and neck mostly due to work. I need to quit shooting for 4 weeks total ( 2 weeks left ) Go down in weight and should go to a compound. He's a bowhunter and says the let off would help.

I'm not going to shoot a compound. Any suggestions?

Thanks, Barney

Offline wharvey

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Shoulder question
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2009, 09:06:00 PM »
The Doc may be correct about going down in weight but going to a compound isn't the answer. Compounds seem to put more of a strain on the arm and shoulder muscles while traditional equipment puts more on the upper back. Something to do with the fact that the rotator position is in its strongest configuration before draw weight goes up that much, unlike a compound.

I have had shoulder issues for almost 15 years. Felt like my rotator cup so I went to an orthopedic MD. After several tests and a cortisone shot he ordered an MRI. Thankfully(?) turned out to be simple arthritis.

I do know that I can shoot my 55# recurve a 100 or more times without any undue pain while my compound causes arm and shoulder pain that lasts for days after only a couple of dozen shots.
Bill

Martin Howatt Hunter 35#@28"
Martin Hatfield 55#@28"
Grey Ghost 40#@28"

Offline bigiron

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2009, 10:33:00 PM »
I don't think the wheelie would be the way to go, as you pull a comp. with a high shoulder. if you have shoulder injury you can usually get away with pulling with a low shoulder such as instinctive with a long bow. i could explain more in depth but it works for me. shoulder has been bad for years, caused by wheelies letoff.

Online Gun

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2009, 01:39:00 AM »
I agree with above. I hurt my right shoulder about 25 years ago and had to drop about 20# in weight. I was shootitng 75# then. It took about 2 yrs to get back to that but I'm feeling it a bit now still. Thankfully there is Tylenol arthritis. And I'm back to about 55#. Getting old sucks. Stick with trad though just go easy.
It's really simple. Just don't take those borderline shots. Tomorrow is another day.

Offline legends1

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2009, 01:51:00 AM »
I pull diffrent weight bows all day.I was shooting 62# with my own bow.I started get'n pain in my left shoulder.( im a right hand shooter)I dropped my bow weight down to 50# and it sure has help.You realy dont need more draw weight than that anyway.I would try that before a compond.

Offline JEFF B

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2009, 06:08:00 AM »
yup i agree with all above i only shoot a #45  to 48 bow and its plenty.
'' sometimes i wake up Grumpy;
other times i let her sleep"

TGMM FAMILY OF THE BOW

Offline TheFatboy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2009, 06:45:00 AM »
What exactly did he call the term? Was it a damaged thoracic nerve by any chance?
The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

Offline Hattrick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2009, 08:16:00 AM »
It`s also a thing called therapy, might want to try that 1st
Bull

Offline koger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2009, 11:21:00 AM »
When I first hurt my shoulder years ago, the rollover of a compound caused pain, the smooth draw and relaease of a trad bow did not, had to hunt with one for 2 years, now have sold my compounds.
samuel koger

Offline David Bartholomew

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2009, 11:30:00 AM »
Compound?  How does he logically justify that statment?  

Is this physician an Orthopedist, or a general MD?   What was his specific written diagnosis?  

David
WTCS(SW/DV)  USN Retired

Offline nightowl1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2009, 11:36:00 AM »
y experience in the medica field..if he is a general md he only has basic knowledge of muscle physiology and relating it to physical activity... i have heard really really bad exercise and training advice coming from general mds...talk to a therapist if you can...plus he probably doesn't understand the dynamics of bows without let off
Combo Hunter 46@28

I came from nothing and I brought it with me.

Offline 52 bow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2009, 11:38:00 AM »
I pinched a nerve in my bow arm/neck-shoulder area and hurt like h--- for a week then lost strenth in it.Couldn't string bow.Babied it for 6 weeks and slowly got back to shooting 68# again but took 3 months but still have tingling in left thumb all the time.Too cheap and stubborn to go to Dr. Don't baby it like I did as it got better when I used it more!!

Offline High Desert Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2009, 08:29:00 PM »
I'll be the odd man out here, it did help me, I found a very smooth pulling compound, and I was able to enjoy archery again.  I had dropped down to a recurve with a draw weight of about 42 at my draw length, and even then more than a half dozen shots would put me into horrible pain. So I picked up an inexpensive bow with training wheels, ignored the comments from my friends and family, and was able to shoot 2 dozen arrows several times a week. I am now incorporating my recurve back in, and believe it or not, my shooting has improved.  I will always love traditional archery, I shot traditional equipment exclusively for over 25 years, but I will no longer look down my nose at someone( I was really bad), just because he/she doesn't walk my path, I still have my old friends, but now I have new ones too.  For me it is all about being able to hunt, if I couldn't it would kill me.  I still love my rifles and psitols, but I don't hunt with them, I do use a shotgun though.  I am hoping if my situation improves (fiscally and physically), I will be able to buy a custom recurve next year.

Dave

Offline Barney

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2009, 09:52:00 PM »
Don't know what the exact term that was used but I've been to a chiropractor a few times and it seems to be getting better.

Has something to do with a muscle beside my shoulder blade over the back of my ribs and a nerve in my shoulder and neck. It all started out with really bad head aches for about a month and a half every day all day. Had a cat scan and luckily they told me all they found was a brain. Chiro said my whole back is a wreck but he said in time, he can fix it, even the head aches   :thumbsup:

I'll take it easy for a couple more weeks then start with my wifes recurve then work my way back up. No more 70 lbs though.

Thanks for the help and opinions.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©