3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: bare shaft again  (Read 1274 times)

Online BUCKY

• Trad Bowhunter
bare shaft again
« on: March 25, 2007, 02:08:00 PM »
Tried a new shaft today and here's what it looks like. This shaft is from a right-handed bow at 20 yards. I only have one so I shot it about 20 times with the same results. Is this shaft too limber or too stiff?

Offline SCATTERSHOT

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: bare shaft again
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2007, 03:02:00 PM »
I think if you lowered your nocking point a smidgen and fletched that shaft, it would be right on. The fletching will tend to stiffen the shaft somewhat, and you're not that far off side to side anyway.

JMHO
"Experience is a series of non - fatal mistakes."

Offline bentpole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2007, 05:20:00 PM »
ttt

Offline FJTOYMAN

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2007, 05:55:00 PM »
Looks about right to me. I usually like them to shoot just a bit tail right (stiff) from a right handed bow.

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2007, 06:18:00 PM »
Looks ready to fletch!

Offline V I Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2007, 07:23:00 PM »
I always prefer my hunting shafts a little on the stiff side. Compensates for the broadhead
But be sure you live out the message and do not merely listen to it and so deceive yourself - James 1:22

Offline John3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2007, 07:51:00 PM »
Nock right shows "stiff" for a right handed archer.
I don't mess around with leaving an arrow a bit stiff for the broadhead. I get a bare shaft to fly as straight as I can,,, then I know the fletched shaft will be perfect.  Try again a couple inches longer and cut off 1/4 at a time to get to the sweet spot.

JDS III
"There is no excellence in Archery without great labor".  Maurice Thompson 1879

Professional Bowhunters Society--Regular Member
United Bowhunters of Missouri
Compton Life Member #333

Offline SCATTERSHOT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2007, 07:57:00 PM »
Guys, look at the impact point of the shaft. This is just a hair weak, which will be corrected by the fletching. Right hand bow, right impact, weak shaft. I'd say you are there.

Offline overbo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2007, 09:18:00 PM »
Stept out to 30yrds and see what you got

Offline fingers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2007, 11:01:00 PM »
I'm with JDS, make it fly true. If the target point and broadhead weigh the same there isn't any corrections needed from the fletching other than errors in the release, thus forgiveness. Assuming that the picture is taken straight on and the arrow is leaning nock right then the picture tells me it is too stiff and will be a little critical in tune. Impact location is not what indicates a correct tune. It is the clean flight of the arrow when unfletched. It is true that adding weight to the rear of the arrow in the form of fletching makes an arrow react as if it were stiffer by a slight amount. But that slight amount is a tiny lean of the arrow, almost not worth worrying about as the fletching will correct that slight difference easily. Much more easily and forgiving than correcting the arrow shown above.

Offline SCATTERSHOT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2007, 11:21:00 PM »
You can answer your own question by fletching that shaft and shooting it. Let us know what you find out.

Offline AkDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2007, 12:51:00 AM »
fletching is going to make that arrow act stiffer yet.  I also like it to show a tad weak bareshaft.  Then fletch it up and paper tune, then move to group testing for fine tuning.  Now if my bow would only get back here from the shop, 7 days till I leave for turkeys, 15 days till I get to start hunting them.

A lil nock high is ok for now.  Gotta think about clearence issues.   It's amazing when ya get a bow dialed in to see an arrow doing goofy things only to find out a nock was tweaked just a tad off.   Something so simple that gets so often overlooked.   It's one of the reasons I move to paper tuning after I bareshaft, get it a bit closer, then move on to group testing

Offline James on laptop

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2007, 05:39:00 AM »
That is exactly the way I like mine to look.It should be just right with small feathers and the nocking point as it is will give feather clearance. jmo

Online BUCKY

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2007, 06:02:00 AM »
I'm confused! Some say weak some say stiff,which one?

Offline TSHOOTER

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2007, 07:38:00 AM »
WHAT SCATTERSHOT SAID....YOUR SHOWING SLIGHTLY WEAK WHICH IS JUST WHAT YOU WANT BEFORE FLETCHING.
He who has the Son has life; he who does not have the Son does not have life.  (1 John 5:12)

PBS
TGMM Family of the Bow
P&Y
Comptons

Offline AkDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2007, 01:31:00 PM »
well if your confuzed, try a stiffer spined arrow and see what way it goes, that'll give you your answer.

I believe what Scattershot is trying to say is where that arrow hit, not how that arrow flew.  Correct me if I'm wrong here  SH  

Nock right is arrow stiff.

IMPACT right is arrow weak

Nock left is arrow weak

IMPACT left is arrow stiff.

It's two different styles of bareshaft tuning.   The impact tuning is in reference to OL's method of group testing and where that arrow flew in relationship to fletched shafts, or in this case the bullseye.    instead of HOW the arrow is at impact is what others are referring too when we are saying nock right is stiff.  The nock itself is to the right of the point in the target, hence nock right.

Offline SCATTERSHOT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2007, 03:06:00 PM »
I'll say it again.... Fletch that arrow, and it will be where you want it. Currently, it is a tad weak, and that will be cleared up by the stiffening effect of the feathers. Put fletching on the thing, shoot it, and if you don't hit in the bottom of the yellow, I'll be very surprised.

Offline AkDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2007, 08:35:00 PM »
am I right or wrong SS?  You're talking where it's impacted the target (right of the bull) instead of how the arrow is angled in the target (nock right).

Offline SCATTERSHOT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2007, 10:17:00 PM »
Hi, Dan. At longer distances, according to O.L. Adcock's tuning guide, the two methods (impact point and nock right/left) should not be mixed. The right impact at 20 yards indicates a weak shaft, but by the pix not much. Up close, you can learn a lot by watching the nock, so I guess we're both right! LOL!

No wonder everyone's confused!

Online BUCKY

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2007, 10:58:00 PM »
Fletched one up today and here's the results.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©