3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Small game hunters  (Read 872 times)

Offline 2Blade

• Trad Bowhunter
Small game hunters
« on: March 25, 2007, 02:41:00 PM »
Who here hunts small game with stick and string? Im in to it a lot I find it a blast to do ive had several shots at chipmunks but they jumped the string most the time or I just missed. I find them to be good pratice because their a small target and with the moving they help get me honed in ive yet to take anything with my recurve yet though but I have taken 2 squirrels and 1 chipmunk with my compound instinctively with fingers

Does anyone have pics of their small game kills? Also me and my dad are thinking of doing a pheasant hunt id like to try and take some while flying in the air with my recurve should I consider this hunt or stick with the shotgun? And would a blunt tip be a good head for taking pheasants or would I be better off with something else?
The Stuttering Bowhunter

Offline Bowspirit

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Small game hunters
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2007, 02:53:00 PM »
Take the recurve. Anything, anywhere, can be taken with bow & arrow. That includes pheasant. So, where in Upstate NY are you from?
“I read somewhere of how important it is in life, not necessarily to be strong, but to feel strong. To measure yourself at least once.”
                -Alexander Supertramp

"Shoot this for me."
                -Chuck Nelson

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2007, 03:16:00 PM »
I like to hunt small game with my bows. Rabbit hunting is a blast so is squirrel, woodchuck in the warmer weather. Pheasants would be tough but not impossible, i would start out with more stationary small game and then work your way up to the moving stuff. My son and i just go out wandering around and shoot stumps and if we see something for the pot I'll try to take it if not we have a blast just shooting at whatever. Just have fun and the small game will come sooner or later. This is my son and i at the world famous JLMBH, you and your dad can have a blast.

Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Offline 2Blade

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2007, 04:10:00 PM »
Great pic a lot of guys from NY on here im from Ithaca NY.
The Stuttering Bowhunter

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2007, 05:01:00 PM »
Here is my trad chuck.

Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Offline robslifts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2007, 05:12:00 PM »
I would use a judo or conder point before a blunt   or if you are using aluminum or carbon shafts there is screw on adapters for behind the point dont know there name but i believe magnus sells them
St. Joe River Bows

Offline Bowspirit

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2007, 06:43:00 PM »
Well, if ya' can't find pheasant, you can always come over here and set your sights on all the grouse that call my hunting grounds home...
“I read somewhere of how important it is in life, not necessarily to be strong, but to feel strong. To measure yourself at least once.”
                -Alexander Supertramp

"Shoot this for me."
                -Chuck Nelson

Offline 2Blade

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2007, 07:12:00 PM »
Originally posted by Bowspirit:
Well, if ya' can't find pheasant, you can always come over here and set your sights on all the grouse that call my hunting grounds home...
How far are you from Ithaca?
The Stuttering Bowhunter

Offline Bowspirit

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2007, 07:34:00 PM »
Well, I'm about 4 hours from Buffalo. I know that much...
                -Alexander Supertramp

"Shoot this for me."
                -Chuck Nelson

Offline Jason R. Wesbrock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2007, 09:19:00 PM »
My first (of many) grouse from this past September in Ontario.

Offline Doug R

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2007, 10:42:00 PM »
I love to small agme hunt with my bow. Mostly rabbits with my beagles. I also like to bowfish  shootig carp but dont get to do that very much. You should try bowfishing if you like small game hunting.

Offline Tim Kosteczko

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2007, 11:33:00 PM »
Some of the best times are had while small game hunting i think. being able to hunt and stump shoot at the same time, there isnt much better then that. I also agree with Doug R if you have never gone for carp, it is a blast and you should try that sometime. Also, i have not done it myself yet... (not many pheasants around)so i wouldnt be much help on choosing the rite equipment, but i say you should absolutly try for pheasants with your bow, that would be an awesome time. Always gotta try new things. Good luck.

This is a chipmunk i took last year while out scouting.

This was a day where dad and i were both able to connect on a bunny hunt.

And this is a carp that i was able to get last summer.

Offline 2Blade

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2007, 11:57:00 PM »
Awesome guys looks like your having alot better luck then me LOL. Im looking foreward to this summer to go chase chipmunks and woodchucks. Once again you guys are blessed to have a trad partner to go with.
The Stuttering Bowhunter

Offline homerdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2007, 02:17:00 AM »
ummm...don't mean to start anything, but why in the world would you shoot a chipmunk?
do they taste good? blackened cajun style or maybe tempura? maybe you save them up and make a pie?
or do you just like killing stuff?
tell me how close you got, not how far you shot

Offline Linc

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2007, 05:12:00 AM »
Chipmunks are a damned pest.My property is getting over run with them. For years we thought they were cute.Now we just want them irradicated.They have holes or tunnels all over the place,stealing all the bird food,etc.

I haven't connected with one yet but I've definately got their attention numerous times.Dang they're quick.
Lincoln E. Farr

Offline Jeremy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2007, 07:35:00 AM »
Here are a few pix:

>>>-TGMM Family Of The Bow-->
CT CE/FS Chief Instructor
"Death is not the greatest loss in life.  The greatest loss is what dies inside us while we live." - Norman Cousins

Offline TexMex

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2007, 10:25:00 AM »
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/181/435091042_871cb452fe_o.jpg   Rabbit hunting in San Angelo two years ago.  I apologize for the quality of the photo.

Offline 2Blade

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2007, 04:55:00 PM »
Nice shooting guys looks like you guys had some fun. The reason I hunt chipmunks is simple they are a pest and need culling just like a deer or any other animal. Ive shot several with my gun in one set and left them for the coyotes and I come back the next day and their gone. If you have that many small animals all over the woods they take food from other animals like deer turkeys squirrels and anything else that eats acorns that's why their a carrying capacity on land because it can only hold so much even small animals eat a lot and with that many eating theyll wipe the woods clean.
The Stuttering Bowhunter

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©