3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Braveheart Kudos, Carbon Arrow Question  (Read 320 times)

Offline ToxophilitePastor

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Braveheart Kudos, Carbon Arrow Question
« on: June 07, 2009, 09:11:00 PM »
I bought some Predator II arrows a couple of weeks ago from Braveheart Archery (a site sponsor). I set them up for my sons with 100g brass glue on adapters. Its the first carbon arrows my sons have owned. We installed glue on tips being very careful not to apply to much heat. The boys started shooting their carbons and they flew like darts. They loved them. However, three of the carbons broke within 3 days. They split at the tips about 1.5 - 2 ". The arrows did not hit anything hard. They were shooting into bags. The couple they missed went into grass and small tree roots. The boys were really disappointed the arrows broke so easily. One son called Tim at Braveheart and he didn't understand why they broke. He said he has, for demo purposes, shot these carbons into a telephone pole from 4' away and they don't break. The only explanation he had was the heat we used to apply the tips.

Even though Tim didn't have to, he offered to help my boys. He is going to sell them some additional shafts at a significantly reduced price. THANK YOU TIM! The boys were impressed with your help. If you want to work with a good company. Braveheart is the place to go.

Now for my question, we like the Predators. But, can't figure out why they are breaking so easily, when others have had great success shooting them. How do I know if the heat damaged the arrows. I thought we were careful. What should we use to glue the tips on? Any insight would be appreciated.
He (Jesus Christ) is before all things, and in Him all things hold together (Col. 1:17).

Moab - 64", 55@27"
Hill Cheetah - 66", 58@28"

Offline Dale in Pa

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Braveheart Kudos, Carbon Arrow Question
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2009, 09:30:00 PM »
One of the keys to making a durable carbon arrow is glueing in the insert with epoxy. This keeps the insert fom being pushed back into the shaft on hard hits. Use a good 24 hr epoxy.

Offline ToxophilitePastor

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2009, 09:42:00 PM »
I need to make myself clear. I glued in the insert adapters with a glue recommended by Tim. I used ferrelite (SP?) to glue on the field points to the adapters.
He (Jesus Christ) is before all things, and in Him all things hold together (Col. 1:17).

Moab - 64", 55@27"
Hill Cheetah - 66", 58@28"

Offline Focusource

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2009, 09:45:00 PM »
You might want to try JB Weld for brass inserts.
TradTech Pinnacle II riser, 50# BlackMax limbs

Offline Romans3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2009, 07:23:00 AM »
dad, I just got an email from tim at braveheart, I'll foreward it to you. He explains that he is pretty sure it was the use of heat to put the points on that dammaged the arrows.
"conduct yourselves in a manner worthy of the Gospel of Christ" Phil. 2:27

Offline Sharpster

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2009, 09:22:00 AM »
I got a set of these from Tim at Braveheart too. They're my first carbons as well. Since I'm not well versed in carbon shafts and components, I had Tim cut mine to length and install the inserts for me. I have hit dirt and small rocks without any damage and Man, do they fly great!!! They make me look like a great archer (which I'm not BTW). The thing that most impressed me was that the CX Predator shafts fly noticably faster, group tighter, and penetrate better than my "old fashioned" aluminums out of the same bow with the same 265 gr. up front.

Great guy, great service, and I love these shafts.  :thumbsup:  Come on deer season!

Ron
“We choose to do these things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard” — JFK

www.kmesharp.com

TGMM Family of the Bow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©