3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Beman MFX vs Beman MFX Classics  (Read 231 times)

Offline Hooked

• Trad Bowhunter
Beman MFX vs Beman MFX Classics
« on: June 08, 2009, 05:16:00 PM »
I currently shoot the Beman MFX 340s and was wondering if anybody has had the opportunity to compare them to the Beman MFX Classic 340s?  I believe the classics are a little heavier due to the wood grain finish added to them, but do you notice a difference in stiffness.

Been tempted several times to buy the classics but haven't yet because I have been worried about my set up changing due to a stiffer arrow.
"But, the bestest doctor of all is God!"  Katie Jones (7 years old)

Offline Oliverstacy

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Beman MFX vs Beman MFX Classics
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2009, 07:25:00 PM »
I have shot the MFX line since 2006…first in my compound and almost exclusively since I switched to traditional in 2007.  My first arrows were the Beman MFX Classic 500 series that were amazingly tough…paver bricks, rocks, garbage cans, brick garage, assorted kids toys and anything else you can hit when you’re learning to shoot…they are tough arrows.  

I picked up some Beman Black Max (MFX Classics without the wood grain) and they shoot to the same spot as the Classics, I didn’t notice any difference in the two.

I had some Easton Axis shafts (Basically the same thing) and they shot differently than my Easton Axis camo shafts in the same spine.   I fought them for a while but after figuring out I was really weak and removing point weight they shoot great now.  I was able to shoot 200 grain points with 100 grain adaptors with the black Axis shafts but had to drop down to 145 grain points with 100 grain adaptors in the camo shafts.  I may shoot 125 grain points as I think I’m still a touch weak, still a work in progress.

I also just got some Beman MFX Max-4 shafts in 500 spine, looking for some 400 spine leftovers as I like the camo on these shafts.

All in all I like the Beman MFX and Easton Axis shafts and if I had to choose between them it would be a touch choice.  I think the black shafts are more quiet being drawn across the rest but the classics are much tougher as I still have the original 6 and went though the 6 Black Max in one summer.  After the first paver brick hit the arrow lived through I was surprised…they have survived a lot of abuse.

Josh
Custom Flemish Strings by Oliverstacy!  
Kanati 60" 57@29"
AP Cumberland 66" 58@29"
WhisperStik KajikaStik 56" Recurve with Canebrakes...57@28"
WhisperStik KajikaStik aka "Wormy" RC & LB,both 55@29"
Martin Savannah 50@28"
Kota Kill-um 55@28"

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2009, 07:59:00 AM »
I got some Classic shafts a while ago and made up a dozen arrows. I was disappointed because the woodgrain finish on the shafts seemed a bit rough to me and made an audible noise as I drew the shafts on my bows. I sold those arrows and got the all black shafts which are perfectly quiet. I also have some of the camoed shafts which are very quiet,  as well. I doubt that I will get Classic shafts again because of the finish and I'll stick to the Black Max or the camo versions. As for shooting characteristics I could not see any difference at all in any of the various finishes.
The best things in life....aren't things!

Offline JC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2009, 08:12:00 AM »
I wish I could find a pile of the discontinued Beman MFX max4 camo 340 shafts. I still have a carefully hoarded 3-4 doz left. Out of my bow these tune to the exact weight I want and are unbelievably tough. My idea of the perfect arrow...but like most everything else I find that fits into that category, the manufacturer eventually decides to "improve" (not) or discontinue it.

The classics seem to be the same shaft except for finish. Not only is there a slight texture to the woodgrain finish, it doesn't wear as well as the camo shafts either. Though not perfect, they are closer than other options for me.

I've been tinkering, when possible, with the new easton nano shafts. These are at least as tough as the max series shafts, if not tougher. Being a bit lighter though, I'm going to have work harder at getting the weight I want.
"Being there was good enough..." Charlie Lamb reflecting on a hunt
TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow

Offline JRY309

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2009, 10:08:00 AM »
I shoot both of them the Black Max and the Classic's.I don't find them any stiffer then marked.Both my 500's shoot good,but for me I tune my carbons even if I buy the same ones,but they are usally the same.But I like to test all my carbon arrows.I like the woodgrain Classic's.

Offline Hooked

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2009, 10:15:00 AM »
Thanks for the answers.  I have been shooting the Bemans for a few years.  Still shooting some of the original Black Max's, but also have some MFX.  

JC, I was also curious about those Nano shafts too.  As I do have a few MFXs break occasionally.
"But, the bestest doctor of all is God!"  Katie Jones (7 years old)

Offline wihill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2009, 11:33:00 AM »
The Beman TRT MFX and Beman MFX Classic (wood appearance) are the same arrow, just a different skin applied on them.  One's got a clear/Realtree skin, the other's got the wood knockoff skin.

Weight, spine, OD etc are identical.
Support the sport!

Offline goblism

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2009, 11:53:00 AM »
The beman team realtree mfx and the beman mfx classics ARE NOT the same arrow.

The gpi is different between them, says so on their website.  Now the old max-4 are the same arrows as the beman mfx classics

Offline wihill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2009, 02:01:00 PM »
Interesting - I've got some old TRT MFX's that are the ame weight as the old Classics.... (at least on the scale).
Support the sport!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©