3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Got my bear after 5 years!!!!  (Read 907 times)

Offline allan f

• Trad Bowhunter
Got my bear after 5 years!!!!
« on: June 09, 2009, 09:48:00 AM »
So it finally happened yesterday.  I got my bear! I am going to try to post a picture of the bait site first and if that works I will get a story together for you guys.

Offline mancole5

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Got my bear after 5 years!!!!
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2009, 09:49:00 AM »
Conrats!!! Bring on the story!

Offline luv2bowhunt

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2009, 09:50:00 AM »
Bring on the story bud!!! Congrats  :thumbsup:

Kevin.
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God."

Fred Bear

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2009, 09:51:00 AM »
:clapper:
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline robtattoo

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2009, 09:56:00 AM »
:thumbsup:    :thumbsup:    :clapper:
"I came into this world, kicking, screaming & covered in someone else's blood. I have no problem going out the same way"

PBS & TBT Member

>>---TGMM, Family of the Bow--->

Offline Tim Fishell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2009, 09:58:00 AM »
That is awesome!!  Cant wait for the details and more pics!   :thumbsup:    :notworthy:    :clapper:
Dreams can not be bought; they are free to those who have lived. -Mike Mitten

We must go beyond the textbooks, go out into the untrodden depths of the wilderness & travel & explore & tell the world the glories of our journey

TGMM Family of the Bow

Online Over&Under

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2009, 09:59:00 AM »
:thumbsup:    :thumbsup:  

Congrats!!!!  Looking forward to the story.
“Elk (add hogs to the list) are not hard to hit....they're just easy to miss"          :)
TGMM

Offline Sharpster

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2009, 10:06:00 AM »
Excellent!!!  :thumbsup:  

waiting, waiting, waiting..  :campfire:

Ron
“We choose to do these things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard” — JFK

www.kmesharp.com

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline jimmerc

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2009, 10:47:00 AM »
:campfire:
1- kajika stik combo,RC 55@28/LONGBOW 57@28 Both W/diamondback skins

1- monarch longbow royal 68" 59@28
1- bear kodak hunter-44@28

Offline maineac

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2009, 10:50:00 AM »
Good job. Way to persevere.
The season gave him perfect mornings, hunter's moons and fields of freedom found only by walking them with a predator's stride.
                                                              Robert Holthouser

Offline allan f

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2009, 10:55:00 AM »
All right so that seemed to work....a lot of firsts for me.  First time killing a bear first time posting pictures.  So in the picture above you can see the trees on the right with the bait barrel going left you see two very skinny trees about a foot apart This is where I put the real goodies of the day to get a 15 yard shot.  Going further left you see a bare dead evergreen, the big trees to the left of that is my stand. Here is a view of my stand from the bait.

You can just see my stand above the light green bush on the left side of the picture.....hard to see but thats the idea right? Here is a view of the site from the stand itself.

Pink bucket is where I got the shot  14 paces from the bottom of my tree.

Heres another photo on another occasion (a few days before my bear) I have pruned some stuff back to get better shots.

Offline allan f

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2009, 10:56:00 AM »
Now a lot of you guys here know that I had a bad hit on a bear two weeks ago and I spent a lot of time and miles trying to recover it.  Since then with help from a lot of you guys here I think I got a non-fatal hit on the bear and he will be fine.  The reason that I bring it up is that I have a hunting partner who is letting me hunt this land. He is a rifle hunter with no real experience of the bow let alone the recurve. We have never killed anything together so when I got a bad hit on a really good bear our first time trying to recover something together, he was pretty doubtful at my skill and choice of weapon.

We had a coupe of good talks and I did some shooting in the backyard showing him that I could shoot and be accurate.  I took full responsibility for the bad, but he gave me the green light to go again.

Since that time I have had opportunities on three bears at 15 yards but I didn't take the shot. I wasn't going to accept anything but THE PERFECT KILL.  Not to say that isn't what I want all the time, but this time I was really picky, I wanted my partner to se that the Tradbow can be a great weapon.

Like I said there were some bears around.

Offline allan f

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2009, 10:57:00 AM »
We decided to meet at the bait and 6am.  I snuck in and by the time I was in my tree I had seen a big bear down the valley testing the wind.  I quickly got ready and with in 6 minutes another average size bear was coming into the bait ( the one I would shoot later).  She came in slow and looked around.....me too, since my partner was going to be showing up any second    :saywhat:

One minute later she heard a stick crack and slid into the side hill. A bit of a smaller bear came in and followed her up the hill. My guess is a little male trying for some love.  Just as the bears disappeared my partner came walking in. I signalled that there were 3 bears around and two in the area just under his treestand......he signalled back some profanity    :pray:  

We waited 1 hr ( I knew she was dead but thems the rules!)

I walked the blood trail which was very bright red and plentiful, and this was what I found.

IMG]http://i574.photobucket.com/albums/ss185/drfradsham/IMG_1712.jpg[/IMG]

She was flat on her back.  She died quick and close, I was pleased as punch.

Now heres the fun part.  Remember how my friend wasn't sure about the bow and its accuracy.  He took the shot with the rifle and hit her front leg.  Nothing fatal it was absolutley the arrow that killed her fast and well.  He was very impressed.  I am really happy about that, I think I have him firmly believing the bow is a great hunting weapon.

He kept saying to me "I will never forget the sound of the soft thud of the bow and the thunk if the arrow as it went through"

Offline allan f

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2009, 10:57:00 AM »
So here it is, a couple of photos and my thanks to all of the help and advice I have gotten here at "The Gang"  I couldn't have done it without you guys!

Offline allan f

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2009, 10:58:00 AM »

I like this one!  One missing arrow in the quiver and the bear.

I like this one too, you can see the broken arrow in the quiver.

So that's the story.  Autopsy report confirmed that a double lung   hit was the cause of death.

My buddy apologized  for shooting him, I couldn't blame him, and alls well.  The hide is okay we didn't lose any meat and I think next time he will hold back.

Having said all that we skinned him out and I salted the hide and put him in the freezer.  So next up is doing the rug myself....any tips here would be appreciated.

My gear was a 59# Chekmate Hunter T/D  I was using Carbon Express 250's cut to 29" with hardwood internal footing tapered in the first 7 inches.  I had 100 grain brass inserts and was shooting single bevel Tusker Concordes with  100 grain steel inserts.  Total arrow weight 740 grians.

I am happy with this set up but the broad head bent ....tough to say if it was inside the animal or when she rolled on it after it blew through her....any thoughts?

So there it is my first bear and all went well and I am proud as anything

Thanks again guys your support and advice have been priceless.

Allan

Offline leatherneck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2009, 11:04:00 AM »
Awesome! Thanks for taking us along.
“I can accept failure, everyone fails at something. But I can’t accept not trying"

Proud shareholder of MK,LLC

Offline jeff w

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2009, 11:08:00 AM »
Congratulations, and well done on the photos and story!

Offline Irish Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2009, 11:33:00 AM »
Congrats on your bear! Nice one. You may want to check on trying to freeze a hide after you have salted it. Seems like I've heard of someone losing a hide because the salt kept the hide from freezing. Can't swear to it, but I think so. Again, CONGRATS!  :clapper:

Offline caleb7mm

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2009, 12:03:00 PM »
freeze it first. And don't freeze it rolled up, fold it like a blanket. It helps heat escape while cooling. You will have less of a chance of slippage that way.

As far as preparing it for tanning, pm me when you are ready if you have any questions.

And by the way, NICE BEAR!!   :)
Hoyt Dorado 45&50lb

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2009, 12:06:00 PM »
Very nice.Congratulations.

I will tell you,you definitely should not freeze a hide after salting unless it is dried first.You also should not salt a hide until the feet and toes are completely skinned out,the eyelids,lips and nose are split and the ears turned inside out,as well as the flesh and fat needs to be removed from the entire hide.

Until these details are done,the salt can't reach the inside of the skin in these areas and so,can't do it's job.

Once it is properly fleshed,salted and dried,there is no need for freezing.

You may have already done all those things.I couldn't tell from your post.If you didn't,I would urge you to get it to a professional as soon as possible and have him flesh and re-salt it.It would be money well spent.

Irish Archer is right,if it was salted and put in the freezer fresh,you stand a good chance of losing the hide after a period of time.

Once everything

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©