3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: One of the myths of Trad Bows  (Read 604 times)

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
One of the myths of Trad Bows
« on: June 09, 2009, 10:21:00 AM »
Accurate bows. No such thing. What you want is a consistent bow. A bow that shoots the same speed when drawn the same length each time. Accuracy is all in the shooter, so long as a bow is consistent it will likely be able to shoot beyond most of our abilities.

Just had to get this out there as for I get asked often if this or that bow is accurate.    ;)
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline Bear

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: One of the myths of Trad Bows
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2009, 10:41:00 AM »
I agree, but would point out that it is far more likely that a shooter lacks consistency than a bow. Other than wear-out factors, wood and glass cant help but do the same thing each time. Even bad tiller and twisted limbs bend the same each time.

The way that wood and glass is designed can have a huge effect on the human variable. Certain things make a bow more or less forgiving which translates to accuracy. A Black Widow TD recurve is simply more forgiving than a Hill longbow. It's in the design. All else being equal, if you give ten shooters of the same proficiency both bows for five shots each, I'm confident the BW shots are going to be more consistant / group better.

That said, I own neither. Just chose them as opposite ends of the spectrum.
Twin Oaks Bowhunters
PBS Associate Member
Traditional Bowhunters of Tennessee

"just remember, you can't put the wood back on"

Offline Tim Fishell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2009, 10:41:00 AM »
But Dave it is so much easier to blame my issues on the bow!!   :bigsmyl:    :help:
Dreams can not be bought; they are free to those who have lived. -Mike Mitten

We must go beyond the textbooks, go out into the untrodden depths of the wilderness & travel & explore & tell the world the glories of our journey

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline md126

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2009, 10:42:00 AM »
i think some bows can be considered more accurate than others by way of being more stable, smooth and very easy to point. all these things make a bow easier to shoot and therefore more "accurate" IMO.

i do agree w/ you about consistancy. it is a very important factor in shooting a bow well. in the end though, like VM13 said.... accuracy is in the shooter

Offline leatherneck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2009, 11:07:00 AM »
HOGWASH!!!!! Every time I miss it's the bows fault.  :bigsmyl:  LOL

Well said Dave, well said.

Mike
“I can accept failure, everyone fails at something. But I can’t accept not trying"

Proud shareholder of MK,LLC

Offline bayoulongbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2009, 11:16:00 AM »
I totaly disagree, bows do make difference , nothing could be futher from the truth. Certain bows from the time you pick them up and shoot, just shoot better, because they have less handshock and less finger pinch. just my 2cents...I just agree to disagree...marco
"If you're living your life as if there is no GOD, you had  better be right!"

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2009, 11:49:00 AM »
Marco I'm not saying certain bows won't fit different people better. But accuracy comes from the shooter. What you look for in a bow is consistency. Some deigns are better than others as are some materials.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Curveman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2009, 11:51:00 AM »
Some bows are more forgiving both through design and materials. That being said I amd shooting a longbow with a "D" shape and traditional "Howard Hill" riser, though my recuve is arguably more forgiving. That being said, I know a guy who shoots and old Bear with a twisted limb. He is how you say, "frugal" and won't part with it. Outshoots most of us though as he, and the bow, shoot consistently!  :)
Compliance Officer MK,LLC
NRA Life Member

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2009, 11:51:00 AM »
But what bow wouldn't shoot the same shot after shot if the human factor was taken out?
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline bayoulongbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2009, 11:54:00 AM »
David , I  see what ya mean...oh yeah shooter has to do his part. But some bows make it easier..Im ineed of coffee,,,LOL ... :)

Offline jacobsladder

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2009, 12:22:00 PM »
Tim...you clearly didnt have any problems the last time you shot...must of been that firefly..lol......  I do think some bows are more forgiving of form error and some seem to point better than others....but if we all had perfect form then we'd be able to shoot any bow well.....have you ever noticed the very best shooters can pick up any bow and shoot well.....i sure wish i could!
TGMM Family of the Bow

"There's a race of men that dont fit in, A race that can't stay still; So they break the hearts of kith and kin, And they roam the world at will"  Robert Service

Offline jacobsladder

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2009, 12:29:00 PM »
a matched set of arrows doesnt hurt either ...  :thumbsup:
TGMM Family of the Bow

"There's a race of men that dont fit in, A race that can't stay still; So they break the hearts of kith and kin, And they roam the world at will"  Robert Service

Offline bayoulongbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2009, 12:52:00 PM »
ditto , Ladder... :)

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2009, 01:06:00 PM »
Originally posted by Guru:
But what bow wouldn't shoot the same shot after shot if the human factor was taken out?
You look at the ones shot with a machine with a chrony. The greater the variance between high end and low end of speeds. Some will shoot over a range of 6-8 fps difference. Depending on the distance you shoot that can impact where you hit. A selfbow strung for a while over the course of day and with temperature changes (and some glass bows another reason foam cores are so popular with Olympic class shooters) can vary in their drawn poundage.

The closer the speed range is over a series of shots under different conditions for a given bow, the more consistent and thus accurate it will be for a shooter given that it is a good fit and as said above the arrows are matched well to it.

Not all of Blacky's tests ever see public print.     ;)
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Bear

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2009, 01:09:00 PM »
Originally posted by Guru:
Yep, that's pretty much what I meant. But the bow design can help reduce the human factor.
Twin Oaks Bowhunters
PBS Associate Member
Traditional Bowhunters of Tennessee

"just remember, you can't put the wood back on"

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2009, 01:30:00 PM »
Design, materials used, quality of finish, etc all have an impact on how consistent a bow is and how accurately you can shoot it.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline gsdmikko

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2009, 01:46:00 PM »
when drawn to the same length each time,,your limbs will recover the same each time,,one of the main causes for inaccuracy ( besides the archer ) would be string stretch..all in all though it boils down MOSTLY to the archer.."I know I came to full draw"//I know I anchored the same place I always do// My grip was identical as before/// It's gotta be my bow...NOT !!!!
Follow Your Dreams
" It's better to die Livin'
  Than live Dyin "

Online DWT

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2009, 05:19:00 PM »
I also agree some bow designs fit some shooters better than others I just bought a Black widow Psr and my first 3 ends were under the target in the dirt, nice groups but in the dirt nontheless. I just dont get along with the grip but it sure slings an arrow. I have a Robertson peregrine that has a fiftys style grip also but it is a little more positive and I can shoot the heck out of it.I also have shot a fox breed and shot it equally well with the same style grip in fact im having one built.  Alas the widow will be looking for a new home, dont worry for me as I have others to shoot.

Offline Arkansaslongbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2009, 06:36:00 PM »
if i may;

good made bows do make a differance as mentioned but i also believe that each must match his/her shooting style with bow chosen; i am also a firm believer in good form and consistent anchor; i believe one of the biggest problems is people trying to shoot too heavy of poundage,seen it too many times; beeing "over bowed" is common and equates to poor accuracy;

one must also "experiment" with different arrows as far as weight,lenght, material of arrow, foc,different grain fieldpoints/broadheads,style of broadhead, ect;ect;

i believe in practicing alot with broadheads as to my accuracy; so being said, isn't it great to have to be involved in all of this? it just gives me more reasons to be out and about shooting my longbow in which that gives me great pleasure......  :campfire:
May the sun always shine bright on your path and the wind be in your face

Offline Hornseeker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2009, 06:42:00 PM »
"i think some bows can be considered more accurate than others by way of being more stable, smooth and very easy to point. all these things make a bow easier to shoot and therefore more "accurate" IMO."

Yeah, That...

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©