3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Bow Choice Help  (Read 238 times)

Offline Mway

• Trad Bowhunter
Bow Choice Help
« on: June 09, 2009, 11:42:00 AM »
I'm in my early 50's and last year resumed bow hunting after a 15 year hiatus. I shoot a 35 year old Indian Seneca recurve (AMO 58"; 45-50#; maple riser & glassed maple limbs; 7.5" brace ht.; 28.5" draw; no attachments other than a "Flipper" arrow rest)and generally can achieve fletch touching groups at 20 yards after a summer of serious practice.  

What I like about the bow is that it has a fairly pronounced palm swell which allows me to shoot with a very light, almost loose, drop fingered grip that I learned from an ancient Bear Archery instruction book.  Also, the bow is very light and, obviously, has proven itself extremely durable as it still looks and shoots like new with no hand shock or vibration.  What I don't like is that it is a tad loud and rather slow (I watched one deer actually duck an arrow after a 20 yard shot).  

Here's the problem- my wife said she'd like to buy me a new bow for our anniversary.  :jumper:   So I started looking and narrowed the field to two production bows, either the Bear Cheyenne or the Martin Mamba. But after talking with people at 3 RIvers, Bear Archery, Martin Archery and several bow shops, the common consensis is that I probably won't notice much of a difference between the my old bow and either of these two new bows, and both probably have narrower grips that may not be as comfortable to shoot, and NOBODY within a couple hours drive stocks either for me to put my hands on and shoot. I guess that the only real excuse I can come up with for parting with $500.00 for a new bow is the possibility that my old Seneca might be reaching the end of it's shooting life.

So one store owner suggested I come here and ask Y'all for advice.  Can anyone give me some firsthand knowledge of shooting either the Cheyenne, Mamba or even the Indian Seneca for that matter? If I'm going to make a change and be in shape for the hunting season, I need to make the change now.  Many Thanks!
Mike in SC

Offline SCATTERSHOT

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bow Choice Help
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2009, 12:08:00 PM »
For my money, you can't beat a Martin bow. Too bad you can't fondle a few before you buy, but it's hard to go wrong with any of them.
"Experience is a series of non - fatal mistakes."

Offline Scott S.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2009, 12:12:00 PM »
1. If you want a new bow, by all means buy a new bow.  You are a lucky man to have such a wife.

You have come to a web site where plenty of us enjoy trying something new or different--dare I say "addiction."   Those old bows shoot pretty well.  When you describe your Seneca as "looks and shoots like new,"  I think you will have a lot of years of "shooting life" left.

2.  You can tune a bow (adjust brace height) and add string silencers (Bow Hush and/or Hush Puppies work great as do others) to quiet it. There is plenty of info on this site regarding tuning and silencing.

3.  Recurves and longbows are not fast enough to keep an alert deer from ducking the arrow.  That being said, many modern design are probably a little faster than the old boys (I guess that applies to bows and people).

4. Nothing wrong with the Cheyenne or Mamba.

5. It is highly recommended to try to get to a traditional archery shoot to see, hold, and shoot a wide variety of bows.  What feels good to one person can feel awkward to the next.

6.  Please consider a used custom bow as well.  For the same or less money than a new production bow, you can have a beautiful handcrafted and unique bow.  Used bows can often be sold for nearly their purchase price which will allow you to get a variety of shooting experiences without a big cash outlay.  THEN, when you have a better idea of what truly fits YOU, buy a new bow with the length, draw weight, woods and adornments you desire.
"The fear of you and the dread of you shall be upon every beast of the earth and upon every bird of the heavens, upon everything that creeps on the ground and all the fish of the sea. Into your hand they are delivered." Gen 9:2

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2009, 03:04:00 PM »
www.Whispersikbows.com  they have a palm swell grip.
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline Mway

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2009, 05:27:00 PM »
Many thanks!
Mike in SC

Offline jimmerc

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2009, 05:46:00 PM »
I'll second that on the whisperstik bows, having just bought one,and have shot a few,these are quick,quiet and in my opinion under priced for a new bow(custom) they do have the palm swell as kentuckytj says! and JD LUND the bowyer is one of the nicest guys to deal with,he gives you a feeling like he's been a lifelong friend!! At least check him out!! Jim
1- kajika stik combo,RC 55@28/LONGBOW 57@28 Both W/diamondback skins

1- monarch longbow royal 68" 59@28
1- bear kodak hunter-44@28

Offline BowHuntingFool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2009, 05:54:00 PM »
Another vote for Whisperstik, JD is a TOP NOTCH all around great guy to deal with. My Vodoostik is a beauty and quiet as a church mouse! Give him a call!
>>>---Joe Bzura---->

Big River Longbow 66" 52# @ 28"
Big River Longbow 66" 47# @ 28"
Big River Longbow 62" 52# @ 28"
Big River Recurve 60" 48# @ 28"
NewWood Longbow 58" 45# @ 28"

Wisconsin Traditional Archers
      Ojibwa Bowhunters

Offline Arkansaslongbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2009, 06:04:00 PM »
first of all, welcome back to archery; it's a pleasure to have you wanting and shooting traditional bows;

either bow you choose you really can't go wrong; both companies are known for quality and customer service and they have been around for a long time;

i strickly shoot longbows and have bows from both companies; i have never had a problem out of either one;

please keep your "oldie but goodie" around also; one can't have too many bows...  :thumbsup:  

there will always be people on this forum to help; never be afraid to ask questions on anything; once again, great to have you and good luck on your purchase.....  :campfire:
May the sun always shine bright on your path and the wind be in your face

Offline BowHuntingFool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2009, 06:15:00 PM »
Oh yeah I forgot........ Welcome back brother!!!!!
>>>---Joe Bzura---->

Big River Longbow 66" 52# @ 28"
Big River Longbow 66" 47# @ 28"
Big River Longbow 62" 52# @ 28"
Big River Recurve 60" 48# @ 28"
NewWood Longbow 58" 45# @ 28"

Wisconsin Traditional Archers
      Ojibwa Bowhunters

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2009, 09:52:00 PM »
You could drive down to Columbia, SC, and visit Jeffery Archery.  I'm sure they could build a bow for you for that price and adjust the grip/palm swell area to suit.

Offline Cecil

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2009, 10:05:00 PM »
You can get some bow makers to copy the swell on your bow .

Offline Mway

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2009, 07:48:00 AM »
Many thanks All!  Yeah, I've talked with the folks at Jeffery and may just have to wander over there, but at 3.5 hrs. each way, might be awhile.  Guess I'll just keep shooting the Seneca.  Oh, I never mentioned that when I bought it in 1975 it was on a clearance rack at K-Mart for $19.00.  About 20 years ago I was in an archery shop in Maine with it and a guy offered to buy any bow in the shop for me if I'd swap it.  It's a pretty nice shootng bow.  Thanks Again!
Mike in SC

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©