3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Wooden arrow point loading jigs - IN STOCK  (Read 254 times)

Offline SlowBowinMO

• Trad Bowhunter
Wooden arrow point loading jigs - IN STOCK
« on: June 09, 2009, 12:05:00 PM »
Just an update for those of you clamoring for the new point loading jigs, we have all of the jigs back in stock.  They will go fast, get them while we've got them!

We now also have 6" 9/64 drill bits for those of you wishing to go a little deeper into the shaft than a standard bit will allow.

It's all here:

Arrow Building at Braveheart Archery  

There's also a lot of good information and feedback on the jigs here:

http://tradgang.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=074175  

Thanks!  Tim @ Braveheart
"Down-Log Blind at Misty River"

Offline Billy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Wooden arrow point loading jigs - IN STOCK
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2009, 11:38:00 PM »
Okay, question(s)....

I'm shooting 40-45, 5/16, POC, 200 grn point,27" (draw 25.5") from a 52# @ 27", laminated-self-LB-no shelf.

When I break an arrow (too often); it breaks right at the back of the point (blunt or FT).

I'm open to suggestions on what spine and what weights you folks think would allow me to use the jig and stay with the 5/16...

What if i moved up to an 11/32 tapered to 5/16 (standard taper).....

I know I'd have to tape the smaller ones to make the jig work...if it would!

I'd like to stick with the 200's but I must be doing something wrong when I build them ...or am I?
TGMM Family of the Bow

Taker of the Founders Red Pill

Offline SlowBowinMO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2009, 12:07:00 AM »
Billy, Rob D. has used the jig with 5/16" shafting and had success but I've not personally tried it.  It sounds like you've already read his comments so I'll not add to that.

I don't believe you're doing anything wrong, what you're experiencing for breaks is very common.  The alternative is tougher shafting or footing.

Adding weight with the jig will require more spine just as adding point weight externally, although to a slightly lesser extent.  It sounds like your arrows are long enough to give you a little leeway if needed.  If you opt to jump to 11/32" shafting I'd suggest you stay with the same spine range and cut slowly, tuning to your preference in point weight.

Offline Jack Skinner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2009, 10:29:00 AM »
I have just begun experimenting with my 23/64th jig.

My problem so far has been total grain weight. Ash which I have been shooting is 650grains. This is the weight I am shooting for (no pun intended). So I cant add 100 grains to the front like I want to.

So I picked up some other woods this week-end and have turned them down into shafts. Well so far Doug Fir spines good but may still be a little heavey on total weight when complete (I did grab a heavy board) . Birch is also coming in about the same as Doug Fir but spines good also. Alaskan yellow cedar is good and lite but spines to lite in the 50-55 range and lower.

So any suggestions for other arrow woods to try. What I am looking for is an arrow shaft that will spine in the 60 to 70 range (26" center spine tester) but weigh in around 300 to 350 grains for a bare shaft.

Too much to ask? I dont want to change the weight of my tip/broadhead. With my 190 grain tips I am adding 1 7/8 inch of 3/16 brass rod which gives me a total of 300grains up front.

I may just have to shoot 700-750grain shafts but they will drop like rocks.

Offline SlowBowinMO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2009, 10:48:00 AM »
Jack, if you request the weight specifically I think you can probably find what your looking for in POC or better yet Hildebrand Spruce.

All of our DF is heavier than that as you surmised.

Offline SlowBowinMO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2009, 10:50:00 AM »
UPDATE:  This is an old thread that was topped off.  We have all of the items in stock and ready to ship!

Offline Billy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2009, 11:17:00 AM »
Didn't mean to cut the thread short, found it in search mode and "added" a post. Apologies to any who may have missed the first 'airing'.Thanks for the info , SlowBow.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Taker of the Founders Red Pill

Offline Jack Skinner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2009, 11:55:00 AM »
Slowbow

The shop I get my wood from does have some POC but it is in like plank form. It will take some extra table saw work. They dont have spruce that I remember I may have to try some finished shafts, from you if you offer the spruce, when I order that longer drill bit.

Offline SlowBowinMO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2009, 03:22:00 PM »
Thanks Jack, we don't carry the spruce.  I'm not sure off the top of my head if another sponsor does or not, but it would be a great option if you're looking for a light but strong shaft material.

Offline Bruce Martin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2009, 08:41:00 PM »
Did I hear that you guys are going to be offering tungsten rod as well? Might be a nice and convenient place to order all components for wood arrow forward weighting with the jig. I bought one of the jigs and it works great.

Offline SlowBowinMO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2009, 12:21:00 AM »
Bruce, we have a very limited quantity of tungsten in stock.  It's not easy to cut and it's expensive, but we have it.  You won't find anything heavier or tougher per inch.  We've got 1" inserts that run 56-60 grains!   :thumbsup:   Amazing stuff.

Offline longstiks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2009, 03:52:00 AM »
If you can get ahold of some 1/8" welding rod its weight is less than brass. A 2 1/2" piece is 60 gr. and is some tough stuff.
Denny

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©