3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: mill files  (Read 164 times)

Offline Pack

• Trad Bowhunter
mill files
« on: June 09, 2009, 05:21:00 PM »
Does anyone use a second cut or smooth cut file to sharpen or finish their broadheads?  It seems like they might work really well for touch-ups or finishing.  I realize they can be sharpened very well with a standard bastard cut, I was just curious.

Online Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: mill files
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2009, 10:25:00 PM »
Pack... I prefer a "Smooth Cut" file. Either 6 or 8 inch. Just like the edge it gives.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline NoCams

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: mill files
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2009, 11:17:00 PM »
Pack,
mill bastard, medium arkansas, then leather glued to a 2" X 8" wooden block for my Wensel Woodsmans. Sharpest object I have ever produced with my hands. No great wonder, even a idiot like me can drag two blades down on the file, stone, and leather.Love to watch the hair pop off and shave clean in one pass with no pulling of the hair.

I know some use a smaller file and put the head in a vise and file across two edges at a time. I could do that if I wanted to, but it is so much easier for me to just get a big ole 14" Nicholson mill bastard and lay it down on the table and just drag the head backwards on the file. Perfect angles everytime, no muss, no fuss. JMHO

nocams

:coffee:    :coffee:
TGMM  Family of the Bow
"Failure to plan is planned failure"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©