3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: hybrid longbow?  (Read 405 times)

Online hardtimes

• Trad Bowhunter
hybrid longbow?
« on: June 10, 2009, 09:01:00 AM »
What makes a longbow a hybrid? Is it the reflex/deflex, grip, or combination?

Thanks.

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
Re: hybrid longbow?
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2009, 09:11:00 AM »
imo, a "hybrid longbow" has fairly aggressive r/d - enough so that the braced bow won't form that classic "D" shape and exhibits reflex in the limb tips.

as examples, a hill longbow, with marginally reflexed limbs, isn't a hybrid and forms a "D" braced limb shape ... whereas a thunderstick moab, with hefty r/d limbs is quite the hybrid longbow.  sandwiched between are those mild r/d longbows, such as mohawk, that exhibit "D" braced limbs,  however, the "steath" hybrid longbows, such as 21st edge and most acs designs, are quite aggressive r/d and yet form a braced "D" limb shape.

the grip/handle shape has no bearing in this matter.
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline Apex Predator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2009, 09:43:00 AM »
I have the same take on it as Rob.
I didn't claw my way to the top of the food chain to eat vegetables!

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2009, 09:58:00 AM »
It would be incorrect to call it a hybrid longbow, I believe.  If it is a hybrid, it is a cross between the longbow and recurve; not a deep curve, but certainly not a standard longbow.
It's a hybrid....a combination of two or more things, aimed at achieving a goal.  In the context of archery, that's self explanatory.

Offline Hooked

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2009, 10:05:00 AM »
Like George I always thought of a hybrid as a bow that had a recurve style grip and longbow limbs.  Just so happened that this style bow also has aggressive R/D.
"But, the bestest doctor of all is God!"  Katie Jones (7 years old)

Offline Crooked Stic

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2009, 10:12:00 AM »
George got it right-cross breed. Any bow that has both curve and longbow mixed in the limbs is a hybrid. Some more radical than others. The shape of a hybrid when strung had to do with design. We are finding that the best shooting hybrids are designed when strung to show hardly any reflex in the tips.
High on Archery.

Offline bayoulongbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2009, 10:35:00 AM »
Kingfisher!!!!!!!!!!Humming bird bows!!!
"If you're living your life as if there is no GOD, you had  better be right!"

Online hardtimes

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2009, 12:21:00 PM »
Thanks for the input. You guys are great. I am learning, so I am sure there will be more questions.

Thanks again.

Offline James Wrenn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2009, 12:48:00 PM »
I will throw another one in there.:)Longbows come only in one and two piece bows.If it is a 3 piece it's a hybrid.  :bigsmyl:
....Quality deer management means shooting them before they get tough....

Offline RLM

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2009, 01:06:00 PM »
Way back when they first came out they were referred to as a semi-recurve not a longbow.   Roger

Offline mcgroundstalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2009, 04:54:00 PM »
A fella like me that can't shoot a "true longbow" worth a lick  :rolleyes:  loves them there hybrid longbows. Lots of great ones out there!

... mike ...  :archer:  ...
"Be faithful in small things because it is in them that your strength lies"

Offline MMilin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2009, 07:57:00 PM »
Hardtimes:

Based on what I read above, some folks think the rea; difference between a longbow and a hybrid is the shape of the bow when strung (i.e. "D" shape = longbow and if there's reflex at the tip, it's a hybrid).  Agreed.  But, there's more to it.  And the "more" if where the real difference is.

Longbows generally are not cut to center.  Hybrids are cut to center and often beyond.  That's huge in the accuracy department.

The handle of a true longbow is straight or straight with a slight indexing.  The hybrid virtually always has a recurve-like grip often referred to as a "pistol grip."  That, too, has a really big impact on accuracy for most archers.

Mark

Online hardtimes

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2009, 08:10:00 PM »
So it is really a true complete mix of everything not just one element such as the limbs or the grip that would define the bow as a true hybrid?  Thank you to everyone for there help.

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2009, 08:24:00 PM »
a 'longbow' is any braced stick bow that has a string that only touches the limb nocks, not the limbs.

'hybrid longbows' are stick bows that have taken the straight stick to a higher performance level.

a 'classic longbow' implies a basic straight stick or one with a mild reflex, i.e. a typical selfbow or hill style composite bow.  hill type bows can be had cut past center and with 'pistol grips' and assorted other ergonomic fluff.  but they're still low performance longbows.    

to me, the real difference 'tween classics and hybrids is the r/d factor, which increases performance to a very discernible degree that anyone can measure and relate.  this performance enhancement (i.e. - overall limb and arrow speed, and increased after release bow stability) has nothing to do with the grip or the centershot.

that's why the ifaa refuses to acknowledge bows that won't offer a 'd' braced limb shape.  the wolf in sheepskin ringers are those stealth r/d longbows that look like classic longbows when braced.  and that's why the ifaa is an organization that doesn't promote traditional archery as the world knows and accepts it ... they're still stuck in the 16th century - but that's another story ....
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©