3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: String Noise  (Read 290 times)

Offline Black Sheep Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
String Noise
« on: June 10, 2009, 12:04:00 PM »
I am currently shooting a Great Plains SR Swift Recurve which is without a doubt the finest shooting bow I have ever shot. The only problem seems to be some bow noise I can not get rid of. I am using beaver fur silencers (1 pair), brush buttons and moleskin pads at the string contact point. Would another set of string silencers help or should I try different silencers, or should I try and different kind of string material?
"There is nothing more terrifying than ignorance in action"

Goethe - engraved on a plaque at the naval war college

Offline Onehair

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: String Noise
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2009, 12:07:00 PM »
I have a SR that is pretty quiet. You may need to raise your brace height a bit. I did rap my string ends with yarn that seemed to make a difference.

Offline WestTnMan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2009, 12:24:00 PM »
My Robertson required a higher brace heigth, cat whiskers instead of wool whispers and yarn wrapped on the string ends. Very quiet now. I did try the mole skin in the string groves but yarn wraps made the biggest difference.
Gen 27:3 "Take your hunting gear, your quiver and bow, and go out into the field to hunt some game for me."

Offline Black Sheep Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2009, 12:31:00 PM »
My brace height is set at 8 1/4 inches. I took the tip protector off because the bulk of the noise was from there, even when it was wrapped on with a rubber band. Bolts are tight, string is brand new. The bow started out silent, so now I'm pretty confused as to why the noise all of a sudden.
"There is nothing more terrifying than ignorance in action"

Goethe - engraved on a plaque at the naval war college

Offline ishiwannabe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2009, 01:02:00 PM »
Did the string stretch on you? Some string materials require re-tuning after you "shoot them in".
"I lost arrows and didnt even shoot at a rabbit" Charlie after the Island of Trees.
                         -Jamie

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2009, 02:13:00 PM »
Try it without the brush buttons.

Offline bushytail

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2009, 08:55:00 PM »
I tryed the brush buttons once.Made it noiser.I was told their`s two differant kinds of buttons.Soft rubber[quieter] and hard rubber[louder].You could try a differant amount of strands +/- a couple strands.But since it started out quiet,then got noisey reminded me of a friend that had the same problem.His beaver fur silencers worked loose.He pulled them tight and his bow was quiet again.  :thumbsup:
Harold Wetzler

Offline lilbobby

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2009, 02:24:00 PM »
I have a B.L. recurve that use to be noisy, but from advice from this site put another set of silencers on.  It did the trick, she's pretty quiet now.
Conny

Offline 30coupe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2009, 06:09:00 PM »
Try a new string. If it just started, you either have a string issue or a problem with the bow itself. The cheapest may be the string. Since this is a 3 piece bow, the noise could be coming from the contact points where the limbs attach to the riser. I had noise from there on my Badger. I put a very thin piece of deerskin between the limb and riser, and the noise went away.

This is one of the reasons I like one piece bows...not so many places to look for a problem.
Kanati 58" 44# @ 28" Green glass on a green riser
Bear Kodiak Magnum 52" 45# @ 28"
Bodnik Slick Stick longbow 58" 40# @ 28"
Bodnik Kiowa 52" 45# @ 28"
Kanati 58" 46# @ 28" R.I.P (2007-2015)
Self-made Silk backed Hickory Board bow 67" 49# @ 28"
Bear Black Bear 60" 45# @28"
NRA Life Member

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2009, 10:25:00 AM »
Where you are standing and background noise has a lot to do with (perceived) string noise, sometimes it is there, and later gone. Nearby walls, fans, or traffic can have an effect. When I shoot at the office I cannot hear any bow/string noise at all-ever!?
Try a skinny D97 string (50#=6 strands 60#=8 strands) with the loops padded to 14 strands. Fur does not always work on a problem set up; you may have to use heavier arrows or cat whiskers to quiet your bow. Check your nock height and nock fit.

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2009, 10:37:00 AM »
Yeah if you have moved the brace height in and out and found the quietest spot, order another string as Bjorn has stated. You will be amazed at how different strings sound much different on the same bow.
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline Buckeye Trad Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2009, 10:58:00 AM »
 Try it without the brush buttons
What Jim said.  I tried shooting with brush buttons and they made my bow much louder.

Offline Michael Arnette

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2009, 03:17:00 PM »
Try adjusting your brace height and try a d97 string. Get rid of those brush buttons. That string may have stretched also this can cause more noise, don't ask me why. If you are shooting three under as I do this can cause more bow noise also. I am having my schafer re-tillered for my new found 3 under shooting style. How heavy is your arrow-gpp? you can also try a piece of thin cloth (cut up a bedsheet) under the limbs.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©