3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: String follow vs. straight limb  (Read 149 times)

Offline swampthing

• Trad Bowhunter
String follow vs. straight limb
« on: June 10, 2009, 05:18:00 PM »
Anyone ever compared a Hill, or Miller, longbow of same draw weight, arrow, day, moon, etc.. etc.. to see how much speed is lost when one goes from straight limb to a string follow? Have been hearing that the string follows are quite stable, just curious as to the cost for that stability.

Offline Overspined

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: String follow vs. straight limb
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2009, 05:29:00 PM »
I am getting one from Northern Mist at Compton's later this month. He said you lose about 5 fps for the same draw weight as a straight limbed bow. Hardly anything to worry about. He said they are very accurate and have a different feel when the arrow is loosed. I love straight limb bows so I had to get one. I have one of his straight limb longbows and it is a very well crafted bow and shoots great.

Offline WESTBROOK

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2009, 09:10:00 PM »
Very little difference performance wise from what I've noticed. I have a #57 N.M. Classic and a #60 N.M. Shelton and their about even. The Classic is Bamboo and the Shelton is Elm. The Shelton is about as sweet as it gets, and THE quietest bow I've ever shot.

Eric

Offline SpankyNeal

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2009, 09:36:00 PM »
Agree with all of the above! The more follow it has the more speed you lose in most cases, but the sweeter and more stable it is to shoot! I have them from 1/4" up to 3/4" and can only tell a small difference between them speed wise, but that 3/4" bow is the sweetest shooting Hill style bow i've ever shot! I absolutely love the string follow bow - guess that's why I own four and have two Sunset Hills on order!   :bigsmyl:  

Regards...Ken
Ken "Spanky" Neal

4 Sunset Hills and counting!

66" 59# "White Dragon"
65" 56# "El Tigre"
67" 47# "Quiet Places"
66" 57# "Lionheart"

"Speed is vital, however it is absolutely worthless when you exchange it for stability and accuracy"...John Schulz

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©