3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Arrow penetration.... the real secret.  (Read 1796 times)

Offline tim roberts

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Arrow penetration.... the real secret.
« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2009, 11:32:00 PM »
When these first came out, I noticed them and after a couple of long phone calls, I ordered one.  I didn't get the diamond stones as I have great stones from my butcherin days.  With those stones I need to use oil, and I am very anal about smells on my gear, espically petroleum smells.  Do you need to use oil when using diamond stones?
The KME system is deffinately the way to go, for a razor sharp edge, I just want to loose the oil smell?????
Tim

TGMM Family of the Bow

I guess if we run into the bear that is making these tracks, we oughta just get off the trail.......He seems to like it!  
My good friend Rudy Bonser, while hunting elk up Indian Creek.

Online Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2009, 11:33:00 PM »
Tim... with the diamond hones you only need a few drops of water. Clean up is with soap and water.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline tim roberts

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: June 10, 2009, 11:37:00 PM »
That is what I need to get then, Thanks Charlie!!!
Tim

TGMM Family of the Bow

I guess if we run into the bear that is making these tracks, we oughta just get off the trail.......He seems to like it!  
My good friend Rudy Bonser, while hunting elk up Indian Creek.

Offline Chris Surtees

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: June 11, 2009, 03:14:00 AM »
A KME has been on my list of must buys for sometime now. Once I get back an order will be place ASAP.  Been hearing nothing but praise about them for sometime now.

Offline tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: June 11, 2009, 06:15:00 AM »
OK Charlie,
I got the KMG grinder...a little too bulky for camp!  Darn, it's tough gettin' old and havin' trouble rememberin' the alphabet  :)   I do need a travel kit for my scary edge touch up though and that KME broadhead system looks real good.  Thanks for the review...Doc

TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Offline Lin Rhea

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: June 11, 2009, 06:44:00 AM »
I may be buttin in, but I have to jump in and agree with Mr Lamb.

All you got to do is try it and you'll see that Ron has covered all of the bases on this thing. The roller, swivel head, ruber jaws, etc. Not to mention the use of long lasting quality materials and stones.
 I sharpen a lot of knives and other things and can do it pretty well with stones alone, but sometimes a knife or tool just needs to be put back on the exact angle. That's where the KME really shines. I personally like to get my primary angle first and then bump the angle up a degree or so and use the finer stones to put a finishing touch on the absolute edge with just a few strokes, maybe two or three on each side. The KME allows you to alternate the strokes very easily and that will work the burr down evenly.

I suspect a lot of knives and broadheads arent as sharp as they should be because of several things, but the main thing being that we are lazy. Some of us just dont want to go to that much trouble. The KME removes that excuse.
                                    Lin Rhea
"We dont rent pigs." Augustus McCrae
ABS Master Bladesmith
TGMM Family of the Bow
Dwyer Dauntless longbow 50 @ 28
Ben Pearson recurve 50 @ 28
Tall Tines Recurve 47@28
McCullough Griffin longbow 43@28

Online Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: June 11, 2009, 07:59:00 AM »
David... Sorry I missed your post last night. If I only could have one I'd chose the knife sharpening system with the standard stones.

Like you said, most bang for your buck.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline elknut1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: June 11, 2009, 08:00:00 AM »
The KME is the best Shaperner I've used & I'm not looking for another!! (grin) Nothing like a razor sharp broadhead or knife!!
  I think I'll stay outa the arrow thing!!!! (grin)

ElkNut1

Online Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: June 11, 2009, 08:02:00 AM »
Lin... you're not buttin in at all. I'd hoped I'd get some other opinions on this thread.

I don't usually push products, but believe that the issue of sharp broadheads is so important  and this product of such quality that it demands attention.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Online Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: June 11, 2009, 08:04:00 AM »
Yeah Paul, I've been down the "arrow thing" road. Got the knots on my forehead to prove it.
  :banghead:    :D
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline Missouri CK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: June 11, 2009, 08:15:00 AM »
I can see it now...Lambs going to be in the kitchen working on Billie's butter knives next... By the way remember to buy your tags this morning so you can push one of those super sharp broadheads through a mule deer this fall.    :D  

Looks like a pretty solid outfit.  Going to have to put a KME on the to buy list.

Chris
Life ain't a dress rehearsal.

Offline elknut1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: June 11, 2009, 08:21:00 AM »
Yes Sir, I hear ya & can relate to your words of wisdom! I've been down that road a time or two but there seemed to be a few more obstacles on this last course! (grin)
  Balance is key, I certainly agree 100% on your thoughts of a sharp head! There is no substitute!

ElkNut1

Online Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: June 11, 2009, 08:24:00 AM »

At first glance you might think,"oh it's just a Lansky knock off". Don't be fooled.

Just like the broadhead sharpening system, the Knife sharpening system is one well thought out piece of gear.

The sharpening angle is determined by a sliding guide hole that is infinitely adjustable. This adjustability appeals to my need to put an edge on at the angle "I" think is right.

Further more there is a nylon bushing that guides the sharpener's rod that allows for no "slop", assuring exact angle contact with the blade stroke after stroke.

The jaws that hold the blade are padded for a positive grip and are marked so that the blade can be placed in them exactly from one sharpening to the next.

Of course the head revolves for quick and accurate change to the other side of the blade.

I took this old Puma fixed blade and cleaned up the edge real nice. It took a little work since  it was in pretty bad shape. The edge is now consistent and wicked sharp. (it'll stay that way for a while too... love those Puma's)
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline SELFBOW19953

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: June 11, 2009, 09:02:00 AM »
How does the KME do on serated blades?
SELFBOW19953
USAF Retired (1971-1991)
"Somehow, I feel that arrows made of wood are more in keeping with the spirit of old-time archery and require more of the archer himself than a more modern arrow."  Howard Hill from "Hunting The Hard Way"

Online Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: June 11, 2009, 09:14:00 AM »
Chris... number one rule of marriage (ok, so there's a bunch of number one rules.) Don't ever sharpen your wife's kitchen knives. She won't appreciate it and she WILL cut herself... within seconds of the time you finish.

Besides, if things ever get out of control it's better if she comes after ya with a dull knife.
  :D  

Got my finger on the send button just waiting for the appropriate time
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline NoCams

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: June 11, 2009, 09:15:00 AM »
Charlie,
what about Simmons heads with the concave edge ? Does KME make a round stone or diamond stone that is round or half round to take care of the concave edge on the Simmons heads ? I am currently using a SteelMaster that uses files and ceramic crock sticks on my Simmons heads and it works okay. If KME would address this issue I would probably buy one and be done with all my other sharpeners for life !

nocams  :readit:
TGMM  Family of the Bow
"Failure to plan is planned failure"

Online Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: June 11, 2009, 09:15:00 AM »
At this time there is no provision for doing serrate blades.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: June 11, 2009, 09:20:00 AM »
The 1st head Ron does on the video on his site is a serrated head....it does the main surface....but you will still need a little round file to get the grooves sharp.

You guys should check out his web site videos....

I have to agree with Charlie....all this Bhead discussion is much less important than accuracy and sharp heads.  Get those two down and you can pretty much pick your poison on N American Game.
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline frassettor

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: June 11, 2009, 09:28:00 AM »
Originally posted by Terry Green:

I have to agree with Charlie....all this Bhead discussion is much less important than accuracy and sharp heads.  Get those two down and you can pretty much pick your poison on N American Game.
BINGO!!!!  :readit:    :notworthy:
"Everything's fine,just fine". Dad

Offline Stinger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: June 11, 2009, 09:30:00 AM »
I absolutely agree that a sharp broadhead is key.  My problem is that I am one of those sharpening challenged guys.  I can use a file and get an okay edge, but not the real sharpness I want.  I bought a Lansky system, which looks very similar to the KME, and I have followed the directions religiously and I find I get no better edge than I do with a file.  What is the difference in the KME that makes it better, or is it possible that some guys are just not trainable?

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©