3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Arrow penetration.... the real secret.  (Read 1797 times)

Offline Talondale

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Arrow penetration.... the real secret.
« Reply #40 on: June 11, 2009, 09:31:00 AM »
I bought the knife sharpening kit back in April for my birthday and it's great.  I have a hard time getting a real sharp edge on things but this set up makes it easy.  You can use the knife kit for SOME broadheads but some aren't large enough for the stone to clear the clamps.  If you look at Charlie's pic of the puma imagine a blade that's closer to the jaw and you'll see what I mean.  Even small pocket knife blades are close.  I plan on just ordering the broadhead clamp to use with stones I already had.  I was looking at the kit on the St. Jude auction but it went out of my range fast.  Charlie had something to do with that.   :D

Offline fatman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: June 11, 2009, 09:32:00 AM »
I'd liked to mention that one of the best side benefits to purchasing Ron's kit is the over-the-phone tutorial that comes free of charge....Ron actually walks you through the process, and gives a few "insider tips"...he can teach a trained monkey to get things sharp...  :readit:
"Better to have that thing and not need it, than to need it and not have it"
Woodrow F. Call

Commitment is like bacon & eggs; the chicken is involved, but the pig is committed....

Offline Russ Clagett

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: June 11, 2009, 10:41:00 AM »
so how much is this thing and where can we get it?

Offline mancole5

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: June 11, 2009, 10:59:00 AM »
KME is sponsor of tradgang, you can access his website from here. Ron is a top notch guy! I have spoke with him several times, and his customer service is next to none! I have had trouble in the past with getting a fine edge on a knife or broadhead, but this KME system does all the work for you! I believe with this system, anyone and everyone can now have a razor sharp blade! My congratulations and admiration to Ron at KME for developing such a fine product!

Offline Shaun

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: June 11, 2009, 11:06:00 AM »
Russ, if you see an extended discussion of a fine product on this site you can be assured they are site sponsors and can be found under the sponsor drop down list at the top of the page. KME is right there in the list with a link to a well done website. Supporting our sponsors is supporting Tradgang and helping to make this place possible.

Offline straitera

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: June 11, 2009, 11:47:00 AM »
Looks great Charlie. Do you get the same scary sharp on single bevels? How? Planning to grind all my heads to single bevel asap.
Buddy Bell

Trad is 60% mental & about 40% mental.

Offline Jake

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: June 11, 2009, 12:24:00 PM »
The KME is the best sharpening system made.  I use my knife jig/kit for both Broadheads and all my knives.  I know for a fact that they will be available at Comptons.  You can get a firsthand look at them and see for yourself what all the talk is about.  Ron sure has a winner.

Offline IB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: June 11, 2009, 12:52:00 PM »
OK....So what your saying is #1...I can drop my bow weight from 75# to say 65# if I use a KME Broad Head sharpening system   :biglaugh:  If I use a KME, then what will I need you here for?

#2..I won't need to be so friendlily with these Knife maker men....I'll be able to be more independent and self reliant...That I WON"T have to take Jeff; Rob or Doug with me on all my huntin trips. I can really sharpen my own Knives.   :eek:    :eek:  OH MY.....That would just about pay for the KME....Just in Doug's eats.

KME is undoubtedly with out question the BEST; EASIEST and most FOOL PROOF sharpener I have EVER USED......PERIOD........Sage advice and wisdom again Charlie.......Why don't I listen to you sooner and more often   :biglaugh:    :biglaugh:

Offline Russ Clagett

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: June 11, 2009, 01:44:00 PM »
thanks for pointing that out guys....I'm gonna check it out right now.....

Offline BradLantz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: June 11, 2009, 01:44:00 PM »
I currently have 160 gr old stock Thunderheads - 3 bladed, and I have the KME broadhead tool to resharpen those blades.

Love it so far

Offline SBT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: June 11, 2009, 03:25:00 PM »
Thanks for the tips gentlemen, hows the KME do on single bevel heads like a grizzly?

Online Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: June 11, 2009, 03:28:00 PM »
Straitera.... you bet it will do a single bevel. I'd work the bevel with either the knife or broadhead system down to a nice edge and finish with a couple of strokes on the flat side with a very fine stone or diamond hone.

Stinger... there is a world of difference between the KME and the Lansky. With the right touch you could sure get the Lansky to work, but my experience leads me to believe you can get a better edge in a shorter amount of time with the KME.
Ron has built features into his system that allow each stroke to be exactly like the one before it.
You can also find just the right angle for the particular blade you are sharpening.
Both features make for a very quick, durable and deadly edge.
Anyone is "trainable" heck, give Ron a call and he'll help you make the Lansky work.... yeah, he's that kind of guy.

Like Fatman said above, one of the greatest aids in the whole system is having access to Ron himself via phone. He knows his stuff about sharpening and shares what he knows willingly... regardless of how you chose to sharpen your blades.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Online Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: June 11, 2009, 03:32:00 PM »
Nocams... I'm going to sharpen up a Simmons later on today and let you know about that. I know it poses it's own special set of issues but I'm sure it can be overcome.

A set of half round stones for either system might bear looking at.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Online Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: June 11, 2009, 03:33:00 PM »
Will add a Grizzly to the list of heads to sharpen tonight and post results. I know what they will be though.
  ;)
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: June 11, 2009, 03:42:00 PM »
I luv Charlie thread     :clapper:
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline owlbait

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: June 11, 2009, 03:49:00 PM »
Thanks Charlie. Ron gave me a personal lesson at K-Zoo. He said the best option for the Simmons is the knife sharpener kit. He actually sharpened one for me but I'm not "sharp" enough to follow along so I will stick with the other broadheads I have.
Advice from The Buck:"Only little girls shoot spikers!"

Offline dakota tim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: June 11, 2009, 05:59:00 PM »
:thumbsup:

Here's to Ron being swamped with orders!  Couldn't happen to a nicer guy!  Anyone that's been thinking about a knife and/or broadhead system just get it...you won't be disappointed.  Give Ron a call.

Thanks Charlie  
   :campfire:    :archer:    :coffee:
What was big was not the antlers, but the chance. What was full was not the meatpole but the memory of the hunt.    --Aldo Leopold

Offline NoCams

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: June 11, 2009, 06:02:00 PM »
Me too Guru !!! Love to drag up a chair, cup of joe and learn from the older guys !!!

Charlie, looking forward to seeing how the Simmons head comes out, especially if it is as sharp in the concave part as the rest of the head.

Ron, if you are listening please add a solution or round stones to the kit and Walla ! The best sharpening system on the planet no ifs ands or buts !!!

nocams  :help:
TGMM  Family of the Bow
"Failure to plan is planned failure"

Online Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: June 11, 2009, 07:53:00 PM »
OK guys! Just came in from the shop with some results from sharpening.
Here are the ones I opted to sharpen...

Was able to bring every one to a razor like edge without undo problems.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Online Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: June 11, 2009, 08:02:00 PM »
The first of the lot was the Simmons... because I was really curious what I could do.

This head had been through the wringer. Killed a pile of Sage hens with it last fall and it spent it fair share of time skittering off through the sage and granite of western Wyoming. The edge was real rough, nicked and dull as my brain before caffeine.

The KME knife sharpening jig was used and I achieved a very sharp edge in short order... I'd shoot it at anything right now.

As suspected, the flat stones were working the grind with just the edges of the diamond hone making contact along the blade edge.
Although it worked well enough, I suspect that this process would cause excess wear on the edges of the diamond hone and would be even worse on a regular whet stone.
A rounded stone of some kind would be the ticket.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©