3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: building out side plate  (Read 408 times)

Offline spike buck

• Trad Bowhunter
building out side plate
« on: June 11, 2009, 12:55:00 PM »
Looking to find the best and easiest way to build out the side plate on my recurve.It is currently leather, but will change material if needed....Thanks to all.

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: building out side plate
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2009, 01:12:00 PM »
A scrap of leather about the size of a leather lace under the plate is a good way. Try taping something like a wooden matchstick to the front of the side wall and see if there is a difference.

Offline spike buck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2009, 01:21:00 PM »
Thanks Bjorn, I am a right handed shooter and my arrows fly great out the bow. They just hit right of aim. I aim to the the left of what I want to hit and am right on. I thought maybe if I build it out that would help? I am shooting 29" mfx classics 500's w/ the 75gr insert and 145gr point and 50lb bow.

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2009, 01:53:00 PM »
You could do a number of things.....raise your brace, build out the side plate, increase point or insert weight, de-tune your string (use B50).
Some changes will suit you more than others, and
don't make more than one change at a time.
I would strip the fletches off and start there. A fletched arrow hides too many sins.

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2009, 02:00:00 PM »
I'm sorry scratch my remedies above. I assumed you were underspined and that is why you wanted to build out the sideplate.
In your case you want to reduce point weight and make your arrow act stiffer, and go to a skinny string etc. In any event I recommend starting with a bare shaft and go from there.

Offline wtpops

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2009, 02:18:00 PM »
i use a square tooth pic. You can use a knife and shave of a little at a time untill you get it to the thickness that works best, this ofcourse goes under the side plate.
TGMM Family of the Bow
"OVERTHINKING" The art of creating problems that weren't even there!

Offline mancole5

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2009, 02:39:00 PM »
I use double sided carpet tape (from home depot) build it out one tape strip at a time.

Online Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2009, 08:32:00 PM »
Bjorn has it figured out for ya.   :thumbsup:   It's an arrow spine issue.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2009, 01:47:00 AM »
You might want to try a .400 spine arrow with tat much front end weight. I shoot 30.5"        GT 55/75 with 250gr up front off two of my 50# bows and they work great.

Offline SCATTERSHOT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2009, 10:48:00 AM »
You can keep your prresent arrows, just build out the sideplate as you indicated. Slip a toothpick between the leather and the bow. Done deal. That should be enough
"Experience is a series of non - fatal mistakes."

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2009, 10:59:00 AM »
Toothpick slid behind the plate here also. If they still fly great with the toothpick in place, no need to buy new arrows.
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2009, 11:19:00 AM »
For preliminary experimenting if you don't want to remove your side plate you can also use strips of card board or even corrugated cardboard for thicker material and a couple layers of masking tape over it to hold it in place and keep your fletching from catching it.  When you get the thickness you want to can modify the side plate.
1 Timothy 4:4(NKJV)
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Firefly Long Bow  James 4:14
60" MOAB 54@29 James 1:17

Michigan Longbow Association

Offline Mo. Huntin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2009, 08:42:00 AM »
My favorite way has been suggested on here before and works awesome.  Get those felt furniture pads from wal mart they already have adhesive on them and you can trim them with a razor blade incase it puts you to far left. I love it.

Online champ38

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2009, 07:21:00 AM »
"Felt furniture pads" is that what they're called ?  Trying to find some the other day and the clerk looked at me like I was crazy. Are these the pads that go on the bottom of furniture legs to keep from scratching the floor  ? Thanks
56" Shrew Classic Carbon 68@29
58" 2-P Centaur Cabon Elite 57@29

Offline katman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2009, 07:27:00 AM »
That's them champ, they come in different diameters. Also available in Lowes's and Home Depot. (If you pull the side plate off the acs you will see it.)
shoot straight shoot often

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©