3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: the best "nicknames" for bows  (Read 1656 times)

Online Wile E. Coyote

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: the best "nicknames" for bows
« Reply #40 on: June 13, 2009, 09:37:00 AM »
Got the "Bug" to build a selfbow a few years back. Worked on it for months and finally finished in June. Call her "June Bug"

"Black Magic" was my first trad bow, a carbon backed bow by Acadian woods. That one put me in its spell thus the name.

"LTS" short for Long Tall Sally, is my longest bow, a 68" 21st Century Lonbow. Like the song says "Long Tall Sally, she built for speed, she got everything that uncle john need."
Wayne LaBauve

"Learn to wish that everything should come to pass exactly as it does."

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: June 13, 2009, 09:53:00 AM »
My Zipper lb is "Hillbilly Deluxe",Zipper curve is "Nasty Pretty" and my Griffin is "Exotica".I dont usually call them by their names.Its strange because I rarely speak to them yet they know just what Daddy wants.    :bigsmyl:

Offline robtattoo

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: June 13, 2009, 10:15:00 AM »
Originally posted by longbowray:
my t/d hill is called "Gut Pile" because if i do my part the bow does his part there will be a gut pile.
My selfbow is called "Gut Fudge" because if I'd done my part, the bow wouldn't have turned out to be a pile of s*@t
"I came into this world, kicking, screaming & covered in someone else's blood. I have no problem going out the same way"

PBS & TBT Member

>>---TGMM, Family of the Bow--->

Offline fireball31

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: June 13, 2009, 12:57:00 PM »
My selfbow is called "Gut Fudge" because if I'd done my part, the bow wouldn't have turned out to be a pile of s*@t

Thanks! I just spit a fresh pinch of grizzly all over my computer. LOL  :jumper:

Offline portugeejn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: June 13, 2009, 02:14:00 PM »
I don't name all of them, but the my 55 # Martin Savannah hunting bow I call "Big Dog".  

The person I bought it from had a huge Mastiff that they used as a therapy dog.  It was the most friendly and the biggest dog I've ever seen.

RonP

Offline mwmwmb

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: June 13, 2009, 02:23:00 PM »
Someone once told me that a bow has to earn its name. The ones I have right now, currently have no names.

ME too,

Rob, I hadnt thought about Nailbomb in a while. I need to dig that out of the collection for a listen.

Offline Son of Texas

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: June 13, 2009, 02:56:00 PM »
The only one that I have given a name so far is my Mosshorn that Missouri Sherpa let me buy from him at Texas Sweat in 2008 I named it Old Yellar.

Offline knobby

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: June 13, 2009, 10:56:00 PM »
My old Black Widow HS is "Coyote Ugly". It's all black, nothing to look at, but it killed two coyotes in one morning. That's good enough for me.

Online Walt Francis

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: June 14, 2009, 03:46:00 AM »
I have made a lot of bows and only four of them never received a name.  All of them provided some memorable experiences before being retired; anyone of them might become “unretired” if the mood hits me, but that is highly unlikely.  They are:

“Vlad the Impaler”, an Osage selfbow I used to take my selfbow first deer with.

“Budster”, an Osage selfbow that took six whitetails a few seasons back is named after my black lab that is no longer with me.

“Max”, an Osage selfbow that took several whitetails and a bison a few seasons back is named after my yellow lab that is no longer with me.

“Pigger”, an Osage selfbow that took several whitetails and the kitty in my Avatar a few seasons back is named after my choclate lab that is no longer with me.

The last three bows were made and named because something in the stave specifically told me that “this stave” was for either Pigger, Max, or Budster (Saxton).
The broadhead used, regardless of how sharp, is nowhere as important as being able to place it in the correct spot.

Walt Francis

Regular Member of the Professional Bowhunters Society

Online Walt Francis

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: June 14, 2009, 03:48:00 AM »
That should be ever, not never, received a name.
The broadhead used, regardless of how sharp, is nowhere as important as being able to place it in the correct spot.

Walt Francis

Regular Member of the Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline wapitimike1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: June 14, 2009, 07:06:00 AM »
A Few named "Arrow Express"
"Copperhead Carnivor"
"Diamondback Death Stick"
"Bruin Buster"
"Medicine Stick"
I think the last name I pick will be.
"I'm Broke" !!

Offline TheFatboy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: June 14, 2009, 01:35:00 PM »
Oh oh...

I guess a great name for my bow would be: "Magic Stick"!
The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

Offline gregg dudley

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: June 14, 2009, 05:17:00 PM »
All of my bows shoot better for other people than they do for me so I just refer to them collectively as Shameless Floosies.
MOLON LABE

Traditional Bowhunters Of Florida
Come shoot with us!

Offline IronCreekArcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: June 14, 2009, 06:00:00 PM »
"Xanadu" is the name of my bow...
We do not rise to the occasion.  We fall to our level of training.

Offline Jim Harris

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: June 14, 2009, 08:04:00 PM »
I have an older Palmer single carbon that is faded and worn and a bit beat up. I call it "D.U.B.", Darned Ugly Bow. I have had several Palmers and this one is the best of them.

Offline Steve H.

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: June 14, 2009, 08:42:00 PM »
A few in retirement are "Star", "Drac", and "Ace".

I lost half of "Rose Red" on a goat hunt.

I also have "Exotica" cause she is dirty-sexy (tulipwood/ziricote).  She has done in a LOT of animals.

A new one is "The Plague" cause she is black death!  (recent muskox and brown bear)

"Yellow Raven" is an osage selfbow (70's Scorpians song)

Also have two that have earned names but haven't received them yet.  One has laid low a few dozen critters and one has just started but was triple blooded on Kauai' (see recent thread).

Offline griz#1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: June 14, 2009, 08:52:00 PM »
MY BOWS NAME IS FIREWOOD.
    if yoy miss again your firewood bow
If you cut up your wife's french leather purse to make a tab, does that make you a redneck?

Offline LPM

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: June 14, 2009, 09:04:00 PM »
I made my first longbow this year.  I have made quite a few recurves but this is my first attempt at a longbow.

I made it from leftover scraps of bacote, osage red elm and Bamboo.

I re-ground some action bamboo packing strips from bingham projects shipments.

I ground some osage veneers from junk osage wood strips. I had to throw in a red elm lam to get the thickness about right.  

I did buy a piece of carbon lamination "just to raise the price".  

I made my own design of form and found out after glue up that it was a bit too long for my oven!

My youngest daughter was helping me lay up the bow and howled with laughter at my scrambling during the oven crisis.

I even forgot the pressure strips!!  Anything that could go wrong.........did.

Nevertheless..............The bow was born.......Way too heavy...Denny Sturgis might have drawn it but not me.

Well I grinded and sanded and tillered and sanded some more.....I gave up on it for about a week.....Then went back at it.  Finaly after several attempts to get the finnish applied the way I wanted it.............It was done.  70LBS @31".

I never had so much trouble with any bow!  

The darn thing has grown on me and I'm taking it ELk hunting this year.

I call it "OLD YELLER"  because it's a mutt of a bow born of love and hate.  It looks funny but it gets the job done in great fashion.

Most of all.......It just kind of hangs around and as much as I try to resist..........I end up having to shoot the S.O.B.

LPM

Offline Curtiss Cardinal

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: June 14, 2009, 11:44:00 PM »
My Marriah Thermal is named "Big Medicine" as it is SOOOOOOOOOOO Beautiful 73@29" I robin hooded the first arrow I shot out of it with the second arrow I shot out of it at 20 yards. It has killed every animal I have ever loosed an arrow from it at with one well placed shot, including a 300 plus pound wild boar hit as it ran past at 9 yards right through the heart.
It is curious that physical courage should be so common in the world and moral courage so rare. ~Mark Twain
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline rod251

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: June 15, 2009, 05:34:00 PM »
I got this one earlier this year.  When I take my first trad deer with it I will call the bow "Red Death".

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©