3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Poplar Board to Arrow Shafts  (Read 149 times)

Offline Scioto

• Trad Bowhunter
Poplar Board to Arrow Shafts
« on: June 12, 2009, 07:31:00 PM »
While sorting through the wood rack at Home Depot today, I ran across a very nice straight grained poplar board.  I bought it, and plan to rip it down to 3/8" square stock, than plane out some arrow shafts.  I have never tried poplar for arrows, nor heard much about it.  How does it compare to other arrow woods? Is it durable, and does it stay relatively straight?  Thanks for any feed back!

Offline Magnum in Ms

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Poplar Board to Arrow Shafts
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2009, 07:57:00 PM »
I don't have much experance with wood arrows but I made some arrows from poplar dowels and turned out pretty good. Just had to sort through a lot of dowels to get many with good grain. I straightened them a couple of times while making them and have stayed straight since I got the finish on them.
 They are a little heaver than POC and a lot tougher. I bought a board at Lowe's and have made into shafts now but have not finished them I think they will turn out fine. These are my first wood arrows and are fun to make , this could get additive.
Every one is ignorant its just on different subjects

Offline New Wood

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Poplar Board to Arrow Shafts
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2009, 08:26:00 PM »
You should be happy with poplar shafts.  Made a buch out of Menards lumber some time ago and I am still shooting them today.  Stayed straight, nice weight and easy to work.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©