3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: ? for all who has been to a trad. rendezvous  (Read 311 times)

Offline Arkansaslongbow

• Trad Bowhunter
? for all who has been to a trad. rendezvous
« on: June 13, 2009, 11:49:00 PM »
i have never had the chance to attend a trad. rendezvous so, what's it like? advents like compton,ski denton,hill classic,and others seems so wonderful but living in arkansas makes those events such a long drive plus i have to save vacations for hunting seasons; if you would,please share some memories and give me a answer to this question....

if you could go to only one a year which one would it be?

thank you.........  :campfire:
May the sun always shine bright on your path and the wind be in your face

Offline Dave Bulla

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: ? for all who has been to a trad. rendezvous
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2009, 12:38:00 AM »
Like????

Like going home.   :campfire:  

Like putting a face to a name of someone you've known for years but never met.   :archer:  

Good times, comradarie, old fashioned values.

Oh yea, any bows you've always wanted to try but don't know anyone in your area that had one?  The big shoots are a great chance to see, handle and most importantly shoot lots of different bows.  The good shoots have a ton of vendors.  You'd be able to stock up on about anything you need.

By the way, what part of Arkansas are you from?  Mojam is pretty close if you're in the northern half and it's all free pretty much.  Great times, lots of talent and a LOT of tradgangers go every year.  Even better, you can do it in a weekend trip especially if you can take a single Friday off.
Dave

I've come to believe that the keys to shooting well for me are good form, trusting the bow to do all the work, and having the confidence in the bow and myself to remain motionless and relaxed at release until the arrow hits the mark.

Offline Ray_G

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2009, 12:52:00 AM »
Like Dave said.  I met several Trad Gang members at the first trad archery one I went to.  Here is a link of that one from the Trad Events forum:

http://tradgang.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=94;t=001307

I have been to several others that were mountain man rendezvous and the experiences were much the same.  Great comraderie, fun shooting, vendors to see and camping.

Ray
Sunset Hill 64" 54# @ 26"  "Destiny"

B.H.A.

Offline eaglefeather

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2009, 02:16:00 AM »
well my first one in 2006 baltimore md,i just had to smile,knowing all these traditional shooters were even in one place.Afer years of thinking my way was a dying art long forgotten.Boy I was wrong and glad for it!!!!

Offline Jerry Jeffer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2009, 10:23:00 AM »
If I could only go to one a year, and is usually what happens, I would go to Whittingham in NJ. I always see  a bunch of friends. There is always the big group of guys that do the NJ winter bow hunt. There are some nice courses to shoot and it isn't so crazy crowded as some of the really big shoots. The evening cookouts and party are great too. This past shoot I ate more game in one week end then I normally eat do in a few months. Each morning I woke up to Gobblers sounding off all around in the mist just before sunrise. Of course, it is close to home for me too. I brought my little one along the first day.

and shared the rest of the time with friends.

I will give thanks to the LORD because of his righteousness and will sing praise to the name of the LORD Most High.

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2009, 10:32:00 AM »
Maybe you should use a little of that vacation for such an event.  You can't understand it through words alone...you have to experience it.  I would give up a week of hunting to share special times with good friends.

Offline dino

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2009, 11:11:00 AM »
Have to agree with George, "you can't understand it through words alone...you have to experience it."  I've been to the Compton Rendezvous since the beginning and is almost a family reunion anymore.  Great time with great friends.
"The most demanding thing you can ask of a piece of wood is for it to become an arrow shaft. You reduce it to the smallest of dimension yet ask it to remain it's strongest, straightest and most durable." Bill Sweetland

Offline bretto

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2009, 12:13:00 PM »
I've been to the Nebraska Traditional Archers shoot twice. I went to the Tennessee Classic and I've been to Mo-Jam.

Find a shoot close and go. The people at these shoots are as nice a bunch as You can find.

I would travel to more shoots but gas and Family business limit Me to about one big shoot a year.If work wasn't so slow I would have tried to make Cloverdale this weekend.

You have to experience a couple hundred Trad archers at the same time to get the FEEL of what it's all about!!!

Offline VTer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2009, 01:39:00 PM »
If they weren't usually held in the hottest days of summer. I'm sure it would be what heaven must be like. Denton Hill is my time w/ my son.
Schafer Silvertip 66#-"In memory", Green Mountain Longbow 60#, Hill Country Harvest Master TD 59#

"Some of the world's greatest feats were accomplished by people not smart enough to know they were impossible."
    - Doug Lawson.

Offline Dave Bulla

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2009, 10:02:00 PM »
 If they weren't usually held in the hottest days of summer. I'm sure it would be what heaven must be like.  
Yup, it'd be huntin' season.....  :biglaugh:
Dave

I've come to believe that the keys to shooting well for me are good form, trusting the bow to do all the work, and having the confidence in the bow and myself to remain motionless and relaxed at release until the arrow hits the mark.

Offline John3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2009, 10:18:00 PM »
If I could go to only one... No doubt it is our United Bowhunters of Missouri rendezvous. Every year it is either the week before or after Compton's.

Good friends and fellowship of the bow. I look forward to it every year. Make the time to go.

JDS III
"There is no excellence in Archery without great labor".  Maurice Thompson 1879

Professional Bowhunters Society--Regular Member
United Bowhunters of Missouri
Compton Life Member #333

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2009, 10:34:00 PM »
As has already been said, it is every bit as good as a hunting trip.  Take George's advice - give one a try and you will NOT regret it!  Well worth the drive if that's what it takes.

I've been to Compton and absolutely love that one.  Last year was my first time at Denton, and I will be headed back next month.  Hard to say which is better between the two!  Denton is quite a drive for me as well, but that won't keep me home!
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©