3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Side or hip quiver recomendations  (Read 391 times)

Offline djanko

• Trad Bowhunter
Side or hip quiver recomendations
« on: June 14, 2009, 05:10:00 PM »
???

Offline Scott S.

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Side or hip quiver recomendations
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2009, 05:16:00 PM »
Broadheads or field points?
"The fear of you and the dread of you shall be upon every beast of the earth and upon every bird of the heavens, upon everything that creeps on the ground and all the fish of the sea. Into your hand they are delivered." Gen 9:2

Offline Jwilliam

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2009, 05:52:00 PM »
GFA Quiver!!!  :thumbsup:  

Bill

Offline wtpops

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2009, 05:56:00 PM »
hunting, roving or 3D?
TGMM Family of the Bow
"OVERTHINKING" The art of creating problems that weren't even there!

Offline djanko

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2009, 05:59:00 PM »
Is there a one size that fits all...most just practice, but would like to to use for hunting and 3d??

Offline flinthead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2009, 06:47:00 PM »
Big Jims Bow co. makes a really tuff side quiver at a great price . Flinthead
Maybe it is time to shoot what I have on the rack

Offline Rooselk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2009, 07:15:00 PM »
Originally posted by djanko:
Is there a one size that fits all...most just practice, but would like to to use for hunting and 3d??
For me that would be the Chief side quiver made by Jack's Traditional Archery.
Compton Traditional Bowhunters • Traditional Bowhunters of Montana • Montana Bowhunters Association

Offline Molson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2009, 09:44:00 PM »
Dan if you're talking tree stand hunting it's hard to beat a Selway hip quiver.  I wear it to the stand, take it off and hook it to your pull rope along with the bow, then hang it on my off side in the stand.  Arrows are right there at the ready.

For a side quiver and ground hunting, there's no better than the Arrow Master from Safari Tuff.
"The old ways will work in the future, but the new ways have never worked in the past."

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2009, 10:01:00 PM »
Safari-Tuff "Arrowmaster"--it fits the "all of the above" category.  Designed as a hunting quiver, it works great for 3-D also.

Chad

Offline Longbowz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2009, 11:53:00 PM »
Rooselk took the words out of my mouth.  Jack's side quivers are good for both practice/3d and hunting.
I find the older I get, the less I used to know!

Offline Jeremy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2009, 08:59:00 AM »
If it's mostly just practice, I'd recommend something where you load the arrows in point first from the front.

The Chief side quiver (and side stalker and all similar ones) works great, as does the Arrowmaster and Dawgware quivers.  Where they fall short is on the range shooting lots of arrows.  Putting an occasional arrow back in them while hunting or roving is easy, putting a fist full back in however is not.  I have a Dawgware (and if I didn't get that before the Arrowmaster came out I'd have the Arrowmaster) and like it for hunting in dense brush.  Keeps the arrows completely protected and you can get one out with very little movement.  Great for if I'll just be hunting big game and will only need one arrow or the occasional stump shooting.

For general use and hunting where I know I'll be shooting lots of arrows though (small game, which is most of the hunting I do these days) I use a Plains style side quiver.  I'm biased though, since I make 'em and sell 'em (see the Classifieds for some examples)  :)

The standard type of belt or hip quiver work great for the range, but I can't stand trying to hunt in them.

If you ask 10 people what the best quiver is you'll get 10 answers.  Try them all for yourself and see what works best for you.  You can make a basic practice plains quiver or belt quiver in about 10 minutes from a pair of jeans.  The tube style side quivers can be made in about the same time from a large cardboard tube, map tube or PVC pipe.  Play around with those cheap quivers to see what you really like before dropping the $100+ on each of the commercial ones.  Wish I did..   :knothead:  Then again, we gotta keep the economy going LOL!
>>>-TGMM Family Of The Bow-->
CT CE/FS Chief Instructor
"Death is not the greatest loss in life.  The greatest loss is what dies inside us while we live." - Norman Cousins

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2009, 11:22:00 AM »
I have to disagree about putting arrows back into an Arrowmaster.  It's no problem at all to stick 6-8 arrows at a time back into it, even with the fletch cover on.  For me, that's 6-8 23/64 POC's that are 33" long with field points.

The "best" practice "quiver" to me is my back pocket (or pocket quiver), but the AM comes in a close second and is the absolute best in the "all around" category.  The only thing I can think of where you might need a different quiver is if you plan to carry a couple dozen flu-flu's.

I agree about trying different quivers--I've had umpteen, ranging from several back quiver, Lakota style quivers, a Chief, a catquiver, etc. etc. etc.  That's one of the reasons I am confident in saying the Arrowmaster works great for "all of the above".

'Course that's just my opinion, but I know you can easily load it with several arrows with no problem.

Chad

« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2009, 12:40:00 PM »
Ranger Quiver from Idaho Leather.

Offline IronJohn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2009, 07:43:00 PM »
hidehandler.com
Fedora Bows, Easton Arrows, BigJim Quivers & Bear Razorheads!

Offline T.J.

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2009, 08:38:00 PM »
Check out Steve Catts the leather smith. In my opinion he's the best around. His quality will last a lifetime and is second to none.
"...Watching a buck turn back seeing his form melt away, a hunter will feel an inner smile. There's no other place he wishes to be and never does he feel more alive..."

~Gene Wensel (Primal Dreams)

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Don Batten

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2009, 08:56:00 PM »
One option that I like is the Kanati. John makes hip rig that attaches to his one pc angle quiver. You can put it on your bow or wear it on your belt. two for one so to speak. Don

"The older I get, the better I was" Byron Fergenson.

Offline Mway

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2009, 11:00:00 AM »
I've been very happy with my Sidekick side quiver from Great Northern.  Would recommend adding a polar fleece fletch cover for hunting.
Mike in SC

Offline Gary Logsdon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2009, 07:58:00 PM »
I've used one of Art Vincent's "Mantis" quivers, sold by Ron LaClair, successfully for several years.  I recently worked with Art on some additional features which resulted in the new "Logsdon Special Edition" Stalker. Art's introducing it at Comptons this weekend. Of course I'm bias, but I sure like the way it turned out:^)

Press "F5" if the photo doesn't load.

Gary Logsdon

Offline crookedwoody

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2009, 09:13:00 PM »
I LIKE MY NEW SAFARI TUFF QUIVER.EASY TO LOAD AND GET ARROWS OUT.PLUS A POCKET TO CARRY EXTRA STRING,GLOVE,ARM GUARD,AND WHAT EVER WILL FIT.

Offline Buckhorn47

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2009, 07:25:00 AM »
Arrowmaster does it all.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©