3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: what did I get?  (Read 367 times)

Offline nashwaaker

• Trad Bowhunter
what did I get?
« on: June 14, 2009, 05:37:00 PM »
I joined an Archery Club a few years ago, shoot mostly with the traditional equipment they have on site.
Last week I was cruising down a side street in my home town and spotted someone getting ready for a garage sale. Took not of a long canvas bag standing among the items. Pulled in and asked if it was a bow, and the guy pulled out a greenish colored Bear Recurve with bow quiver as well as 7 wooden broodhead arrows...all of which look like they have never been used.
The bow has a serial number 526147 or 5L6147
60" 52#....it was made in Grayling Michigan, it's a Bear Glass Powered Kodiak....it has a bronze or brass colored coin embeddedinto the bow. There are no marks from use on this bow....it has a long canvas/cloth bag with the name of a hardware store in Flint Michigan called Knobblock Hardware.
It also came with a spring arm leather top quiver from Bear and a bundle of arrows, mostly field points but it has 7 wooden fletched broadhead arrows that have never been fired and look like the would be from the same era.
Any idea of what year this bow is and what the value may be? From my net search I'm thinking 1965 but not sure.

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: what did I get?
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2009, 05:40:00 PM »
It sounds like '65 but a picture would help.

Offline mwmwmb

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2009, 07:51:00 PM »
I'll tell you what you got. It is a hunk of junk, quick send it to ARkansas. LOL

Offline owlbait

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2009, 08:37:00 PM »
Check on the history/collecting forum. bet they can answer you quickly and accurately.
Advice from The Buck:"Only little girls shoot spikers!"

Offline Rick Butler

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2009, 09:03:00 PM »
Daniel, I live in Flint and Knoblocks Hardware is still around, just your Mom and Pop neighborhood  hardware. Nowadays they still sell a bit of Trad archery supplies and I can usually pick up a few things I need there for making arrows. But  "back in the day"(pre compound)  they were a major dealer of Bear Archery tackle in this area. As a teenager my buddies and I spent alot of time in there dreaming of the day we could afford those beautiful bows!
"I went to the woods because I wanted to live deliberately. To front only the essential facts of life and see if I could not learn what it had to teach and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived"- Thoreau
"TGMM Family of the Bow"

Offline TonyW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2009, 08:46:00 AM »
Sounds like a 1965 Kodiak  with a camoflage paint covering if the number is 5L....

Expect around $300 minimum if you have a keeper - but enjoy it now and you can always sell or trade it later.

Offline nashwaaker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2009, 01:57:00 PM »
some pictures taken of gear..not sure I did this right but here goes...it will work or i may have just destroyed the interent :-)

Offline maineac

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2009, 02:20:00 PM »
Wow looks like the bow and equipment were time warped to you, no aging.  Looks like a great find.
The season gave him perfect mornings, hunter's moons and fields of freedom found only by walking them with a predator's stride.
                                                              Robert Holthouser

Offline SCATTERSHOT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2009, 02:24:00 PM »
Congrats! That's a real find!
"Experience is a series of non - fatal mistakes."

Offline TonyW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2009, 03:08:00 PM »
Glad to see that the "greenish" you mentioned before posting the pics was the glass. The catalogs state that the  '65 bow has olive gray glass and a bubinga riser with Brazilian rosewood caps while the '66 has "Forest brown" glass and a riser of golden rosewood.

Offline nashwaaker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2009, 03:38:00 PM »
"'65 bow has olive gray glass and a bubinga riser with Brazilian rosewood caps"

So is that what this is?
Whatever it turns out to be it was a nice find. tested it out a few times and all i can say is I'll have to be eatin' me spinach if I'm going to use this much :-)
not a bad deal for $20.00 yard sale find

Online smokin joe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2009, 03:42:00 PM »
You got a gem of a bow, not to mention a great quiver and arrows.  That is a 1965 Bear. Congratulations.
TGMM
Compton
PBS
Trad Gang Hall of Fame

Offline gsdmikko

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2009, 03:55:00 PM »
WOW!!! Great find..that bow and quiver look like they were made yesterday..
Follow Your Dreams
" It's better to die Livin'
  Than live Dyin "

Offline martin guy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2009, 03:59:00 PM »
So that's what 20 bucks will buy these days....
Great find!

Andy

Offline Ceb

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2009, 04:08:00 PM »
What did you say!!!   $20.00  Wow, just WOW

Offline Night Wing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2009, 04:15:00 PM »
What a find!    :D   Everything looks great in that photo equipment wise, but those broadheads look positively wicked!    :eek:
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 42# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 10.02
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 37# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 11.37

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2009, 04:16:00 PM »
Want to double your money?    :bigsmyl:

Great buy there!
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2009, 04:21:00 PM »
That was a good year indeed. I was born in February 1965. I'll give you $40 for it. Hehehe.

All seriousness. The first thing you should do is get a new string for it.

Very nice T.J.
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Online ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2009, 04:45:00 PM »
"Want to double your money"...Vermonster your a saint!! Great find ,all I find at yard sale is stuff that I would take to the dump..lol....
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Ike 403

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2009, 04:51:00 PM »
With luck like that, you need to come with me on a search for the Holy Gail! Congrats, brother...she's a beaut!
The great bow twanged. The black arrow sped straight from the string, straight for the hollow
by the left breast where the foreleg was flung wide. In it smote and vanished, barb, shaft,
and feather, so fierce was its flight.~J.R.R. Tolkien-The Hobbit

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©