3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Twisting Dacron vs. D-97...  (Read 267 times)

Offline Oliverstacy

• Trad Bowhunter
Twisting Dacron vs. D-97...
« on: June 15, 2009, 04:53:00 PM »
Just wondering if I should be able to get the twists in the loops the same diameter with 14 strands of Dacron as I do with the same strand count on D-97?  I can get a nice tight twist in the loop area and fadeouts on a D-97 string but my Dacron strings are larger.

I know the individual strands are larger with Dacron so that is a factor to begin with.  Also the fade outs are larger around…I’m guessing the reason is because the strands are larger to begin with.

I’ll post some photos later to show what I’m talking about, just getting some input.

Josh
Custom Flemish Strings by Oliverstacy!  
Kanati 60" 57@29"
AP Cumberland 66" 58@29"
WhisperStik KajikaStik 56" Recurve with Canebrakes...57@28"
WhisperStik KajikaStik aka "Wormy" RC & LB,both 55@29"
Martin Savannah 50@28"
Kota Kill-um 55@28"

Offline Overspined

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Twisting Dacron vs. D-97...
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2009, 06:32:00 PM »
Just add some dacron strands to the tips of the string to bulk it up. I would try to add 4 or 6 strands of 8" dacron aligned with each end of the string (just split them up evenly approx for each bundle) and it will bulk it up nicely. I make 3 bundle strings and add 6 strands (2/bundle) to a 11 strand string and it gives it bulk and will help not cut into the nocks. So, 4 strand, 4 strand, 3 strand, then add in 2 pieces/ bundle or whatever you find works!

Offline 30coupe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2009, 06:32:00 PM »
Yup, Josh, fatter strands = fatter loops. There is no way around it that I know of. On the other hand, it's not a problem. Anyone who shoots B50 knows the loops are going to be fatter. That's also one of the factors that makes B50 safe to use on older bows.

BTW: I like to use B50 in the loops of my skinny D97 strings for this very reason.

Are you about ready to mass produce?

Russ
Kanati 58" 44# @ 28" Green glass on a green riser
Bear Kodiak Magnum 52" 45# @ 28"
Bodnik Slick Stick longbow 58" 40# @ 28"
Bodnik Kiowa 52" 45# @ 28"
Kanati 58" 46# @ 28" R.I.P (2007-2015)
Self-made Silk backed Hickory Board bow 67" 49# @ 28"
Bear Black Bear 60" 45# @28"
NRA Life Member

Offline Oliverstacy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2009, 07:42:00 PM »
Thanks guys...just getting frustrated with the Dacron material, just need more practice.  I know one thing the more I build with Dacron the easier the D-97 strings get no comparison.  

I figure it’s just the material being used but had to check to make sure, plus it’s a learning curve so I’m getting better with everyone I make.   Getting some tools to help make things easier and a workspace set aside to do it in.

Hey Matt...heard you've been having fun bow fishing!  I'm going to try to make it up there soon to go.  I asked this question because I like the way the loops look with D-97 nice and tight but the Dacron strings are larger all the way around, just wondering if this was normal.

Josh
Kanati 60" 57@29"
AP Cumberland 66" 58@29"
Martin Savannah 50@28"
Kota Kill-um 55@28"

Offline Oliverstacy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2009, 07:47:00 PM »
I’m getting closer to “mass production”, I’ll be lucky to get orders.  I’m going to make 20 strings in the next 10 days just for the practice and methods needed to make the correct length string.  Plus I’m making them in commonly wanted lengths for stock, the Black and FL Orange one I made last night was cool looking.  Each material has its own mind set on what it wants to do.  I could make FF strings all day long but the Dacron is interesting to say the least.

I’m getting 5 more colors of D-97 this week and I’m going to be a sponsor by the end of the month…I’ve been sending strings out to people and they seem to like them, hopefully that will hold true.

Hope all is well in IA…what a state to live in!

Josh
Kanati 60" 57@29"
AP Cumberland 66" 58@29"
Martin Savannah 50@28"
Kota Kill-um 55@28"

Offline 30coupe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2009, 07:55:00 PM »
Well, it's wet here in Iowa right now. I had plans to go fly fishing with my cousin this afternoon, but they got washed out. I'm a fair weather fisherman I guess    ;)  .

So...I've been been working on form in the garage this afternoon. Every time the rain lets up and I move outside, it starts in again. Oh well, I just seeded a spot in my lawn, so water is good I guess.

Sounds like you are committed (or should be    :knothead: ). Hope all goes well with your venture. I learned on B50, so it doesn't seem so bad to me. Now that I have been making the skinny D97s, though, B50 strings look like hay rope (an Iowa thing).
Kanati 58" 44# @ 28" Green glass on a green riser
Bear Kodiak Magnum 52" 45# @ 28"
Bodnik Slick Stick longbow 58" 40# @ 28"
Bodnik Kiowa 52" 45# @ 28"
Kanati 58" 46# @ 28" R.I.P (2007-2015)
Self-made Silk backed Hickory Board bow 67" 49# @ 28"
Bear Black Bear 60" 45# @28"
NRA Life Member

Offline Overspined

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2009, 08:31:00 PM »
Hey Josh,

Yep, Jim has mentioned you a few times. Hope you can make it over for a night or day of fish hunting! It is a real blast. We could probably meet 1/2 way and make a night of it and camp to catch a few z's.

Be patient with the string making. You will find that it may take about 15 before you get faster and they turn out consistent and to your liking. It is like tying flies...the first ones work, but as you go they become works of art. I think I made about 15 or so before I felt like they were as good as those purchased from any given dealer. It is all technique as you have noticed. Jim counts the twists for his bows, I just eye-ball it as mine are not for sale but for personal use and I just make them exactly as I want for each bow. The skinny strings you can make a touch shorter as they turn out longer without the bulk to twist. Good luck.

Offline Oliverstacy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2009, 07:54:00 PM »
Finally figured out how to make them better...make a bunch of them in a short time and learn how to handle them!   :saywhat:    All turned out the way I wanted them and I only cussed a few times.   :biglaugh:  

Josh
Kanati 60" 57@29"
AP Cumberland 66" 58@29"
Martin Savannah 50@28"
Kota Kill-um 55@28"

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2009, 08:59:00 PM »
Josh, if you are coming to Comptons look me up and I'll try to help.

Chad

Offline Oliverstacy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2009, 09:16:00 PM »
Originally posted by LBR:
Josh, if you are coming to Comptons look me up and I'll try to help.

Chad
I'm planning on going Saturday and I will look you up!  It will be nice to put a face with a name!

Josh
Kanati 60" 57@29"
AP Cumberland 66" 58@29"
Martin Savannah 50@28"
Kota Kill-um 55@28"

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2009, 09:22:00 PM »
I'm easy to spot--big redneck, short hair, goatee and mustache, black brace on my left ankle (not the same one I had in the video).

Chad

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©