3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: glue on points - HELP  (Read 283 times)

Offline The Gopher

• Trad Bowhunter
glue on points - HELP
« on: June 15, 2009, 06:34:00 PM »
I've i recently switched to kimsha quick stick instead of ferr-l-tite, at first the kimsha seemed very good, but every once in a while a point just simply slides right off for no apparent reason. these are field points, new clean wood, and i cleaned out the point ferrules with alcohol and dried before they were glued on. any thoughts?

What is you're procedure and/or glue to get rock solid field point and broadhead attachment? thanks, Dan.
"The future is, of all things, the thing least like eternity. It is the most temporal part of time, for the past is frozen and no longer flows, and the present is all lit up with eternal rays." ~C.S. Lewis

Offline 30coupe

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: glue on points - HELP
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2009, 07:19:00 PM »
I usually use hot melt, but if you really want it to stay, use epoxy. A word of warning though, if you break a woody you will have a devil of a time getting the point off to reuse.
Kanati 58" 44# @ 28" Green glass on a green riser
Bear Kodiak Magnum 52" 45# @ 28"
Bodnik Slick Stick longbow 58" 40# @ 28"
Bodnik Kiowa 52" 45# @ 28"
Kanati 58" 46# @ 28" R.I.P (2007-2015)
Self-made Silk backed Hickory Board bow 67" 49# @ 28"
Bear Black Bear 60" 45# @28"
NRA Life Member

Offline macbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2009, 07:54:00 PM »
I use the  ferr-l-tite, One thing that has made a world of difference the past 25 years is : After heating the point and attaching to the shaft. I immediately douse the point in cold water. You'll still loose a point now and again, but it's worked well for me.
Ron
United Bowhunters of Mo
Comptons
PBS
NRA
VET
"A man shares his Buffalo". Ed Pitchkites

Offline R.W.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2009, 08:20:00 PM »
I did the epoxy trick.

If you break an arrow, you have to heat the point REALLY hot to get the epoxy to let go. (I think it is about 600F that epoxy breaks down.)

But, I haven't lost a point since I started using the epoxy. (long set epoxy, as it gives me plenty of time to get my points/broadheads correctly aligned)

Offline champ38

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2009, 08:21:00 PM »
Gorrilla glue from Walmart, 3-4 bucks, will do dozens of arrows. No heating required, but it is heat reversible. To date Ive not lost a head, shooting 3-4 times a week, 3-D, stumps, etc. Works the same on cabon or wood..havnt tried aluminum.
   Using Hotmelt prior, I would occasionally lose heads no matter the tech.
56" Shrew Classic Carbon 68@29
58" 2-P Centaur Cabon Elite 57@29

Offline 30coupe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2009, 08:24:00 PM »
Originally posted by champ38:
Gorrilla glue from Walmart, 3-4 bucks, will do dozens of arrows. No heating required, but it is heat reversible. To date Ive not lost a head, shooting 3-4 times a week, 3-D, stumps, etc. Works the same on cabon or wood..havnt tried aluminum.
   Using Hotmelt prior, I would occasionally lose heads no matter the tech.
Hmmm. Never would have thought of that! I knew it bonded to wood, but didn't realize it bonded wood to metal. I'll have to get some and try that. The only trouble I have had with Gorilla Glue is I don't use it fast enough and it hardens in the bottle. A little bit goes a long way, so I buy the smallest bottle available.
Kanati 58" 44# @ 28" Green glass on a green riser
Bear Kodiak Magnum 52" 45# @ 28"
Bodnik Slick Stick longbow 58" 40# @ 28"
Bodnik Kiowa 52" 45# @ 28"
Kanati 58" 46# @ 28" R.I.P (2007-2015)
Self-made Silk backed Hickory Board bow 67" 49# @ 28"
Bear Black Bear 60" 45# @28"
NRA Life Member

Offline The Gopher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2009, 10:40:00 PM »
Thanksfor the tips guys. one question on the gorilla glue though. that's the stuff that foams up as it dries right? do you have to sand or scrape off the foam after it is all dry? thanks, Dan
"The future is, of all things, the thing least like eternity. It is the most temporal part of time, for the past is frozen and no longer flows, and the present is all lit up with eternal rays." ~C.S. Lewis

Offline JRY309

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2009, 10:50:00 PM »
On my wood arrows I would take an NPT 1/16-27 pipe tap and tap some threads into the point to give it some teeth.I used to use Ferr-l-lite but it does get brittle after a bit.I switched to a white colored hot melt,it stays more pliable and is stronger.

Offline Grey Taylor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2009, 11:56:00 PM »
I use 12 minute epoxy and haven't had a bit of trouble on hundreds of arrows.
It does take a bit more heat than hot melt to break the bond but in no way would I describe it as a *lot* more heat.

Guy
Tie two birds together; though they have four wings, they can not fly.
The Blind Master

Offline metsastaja

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2009, 08:17:00 AM »
I soak points in acetone. use gun barrel brush attached to drill to scrub inside, swish in acetone to remove junk, dry inside with paper towel then glue up
Les Heilakka
TGMM Family of the Bow  
Some times the uneventful nights are just as good if not better than the eventful ones

Offline newtotrad

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2009, 03:51:00 PM »
Definitely do as Les stats above and clean the inside of the point well.  Acetone is excellent.  I have also had good look with denatured alcohol.

Online smokin joe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2009, 04:32:00 PM »
Yep. Getting the inside of the point REALLY clean makes a big difference.
TGMM
Compton
PBS
Trad Gang Hall of Fame

Offline crookedwoody

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2009, 09:25:00 PM »
5 MIN. 2 PART EPOXY.PROPANE TORCH HEATS IT UP IN SECONDS TO PULL OFF.HOLDS GREAT.GREAT FOR BROADHEADS ALSO.GIVES YOU TIME TO PUT BLADES STRAIGHT WITH FEATHERS,AND SPIN BALANCE.

Online SuperK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2009, 10:02:00 PM »
Take some sandpaper and wrap it around a tapered piece of shaft or a broken arrow.  Score it up real good on the inside.  Then clean it out with denatured alcohol. I still use Ferrel tite but this really cut down on my points pulling off.
They exchanged the truth of GOD for a lie,and worshiped and served created things rather than the Creator-who is forever praised.Amen Romans 1:25 NIV

Offline frank bullitt

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2009, 09:19:00 AM »
Proper prep is the key! As said before , clean the oils out, rough up inside surface, sandpaper, I use a small diamond stick, clean and use good adhesive. But remember, woods do shrink and swell with changes in the enviroment, so there still can be the chance.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©