3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Book on glass bow making  (Read 208 times)

Offline TroyH

• Trad Bowhunter
Book on glass bow making
« on: June 15, 2009, 10:21:00 PM »
There are plenty of books out there on making self bows and even backed bows, but are there any books that go into the process of making glass bows?
Formerly known as PastorHunter.

Offline razorsharptokill

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Book on glass bow making
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2009, 10:34:00 PM »
Bingham offers a dvd and instructions for building glass bows but they really don't go into the details and reasons as to why or why not when it comes to designs and materials. I guess theory is the word I'm looking for I guess.

There are lots of talented bowyers here on the Gang that share their knowledge too.
Jim Richards
Veteran

USMC 84-88
Oklahoma Army National Guard 88-89
USMCR 89-96 Desert Storm
Oklahoma Air National Guard 2002- present. Operation Iraqi Freedom 2005(Qatar) and 2007(Iraq),
Operation New Dawn Iraq 2011,
Operation Enduring Freedom 2018 Afghanistan.
NRA Life Member.

Offline Steve Clandinin

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2009, 11:35:00 PM »
Troy, Probably the best book ever written on glass bow building is "Traditional Bowyers of America" written by Dan Bertlan got my copy about 12 years ago and I still refer to it.Some of our Sponsors on here carry it.
Quote from Howard Hill.( Whenever he taught someone to shoot) "Son make up your mind right now if you want to target shoot or hunt as theres a world of differance between the two"

Offline 2treks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2009, 07:12:00 AM »
How about the 2" thick monster book from JACK HARRISON? Go up top of the forum home pg and click on the tradarchers world banner and call Tom. or call Jack himself. The magazine and Harrison have a great deal going on a 3yrs subscription and the book. It is not cheap but the magis great and the book has way more info than the Bertalan book.  www.tradarchersworld.com   or Jacks no. is 907-376-4969.
C.A.Deshler
United States Navy.
1986-1990

"Our greatest fear should not be of failure but of succeeding at things in life that don't really matter.”
~ Francis Chan

Offline 2treks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2009, 07:16:00 AM »
Better yet, give TODD SMITH a call and he can set you up withwhat you need to do. if you want that book. Todd is at 260-665-3405 or 269-316-8075. Todd also has a banner up top on the forum home pg.
by the way, GOOD MORNING ALL! Chuck
C.A.Deshler
United States Navy.
1986-1990

"Our greatest fear should not be of failure but of succeeding at things in life that don't really matter.”
~ Francis Chan

Offline BMN

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2009, 09:29:00 AM »
Harrison's book "Traditional Bowyer and more unneccessary fun" and the instructional material from Binghams are the best you're going to find on the process.
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society
Prairie Traditional Archers
TGMM Family of the Bow

The most frightening thing you are likely to encounter in nature is yourself.

Offline Oregon Okie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2009, 10:55:00 AM »
I was surprised to find Harrison's book in our local library.... might check there just in case.
"Don't believe everything you think" - bumper sticker

"Savage Blaster" - 50@31 - 63" (recurve I made with Steve Savage)
Firefly TD longbow - 50@31 - 63"
7 Lakes double shelf from a blank - 45@31 - 66"
Trident ILF w Blackmax carbons - 42@31

Offline Dick in Seattle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2009, 11:19:00 AM »
I need to get the Bertalan book.  I have Harrison's and there is a ton of information there, but it can be hard to dig out and much of it goes too far into theory for me.

There are any number of buildalongs on the lists. I'm working on one right now myself.  I'm building a bow for the Howard Hill Longbowmen to pass around and hunt with.  I want them to have at least a vicarious involvement in the bow right from the start, so I'm sharing most of my thoughts and decisions as I go... everything that will affect the outcome of the bow, plus a fair amount of talk about the tools and their use.  I'm trying to keep it as basic as I can. (At my level of experience it would be hard to be otherwise!)  I started from a yew plank and  bring you in right at floor level... bamboo flooring level, that is.   I've cut and ground the lams and riser.  I'd have done the layup today, but it's my 52nd anniversary and somehow the wife doesn't see me spending it in the shop...

You can check the pages out at:

http://dickwightman.com/archery/bowyering/buildingopabow/buildingopabow.html

The work isn't done yet, but let me know if you find it helpful.
Dick in Seattle

"It ain't how well the bow you shoot shoots, it's how well you shoot the bow you shoot."

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©