3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Is 50lbs plenty for deer?  (Read 1036 times)

Offline 2Blade

• Trad Bowhunter
Is 50lbs plenty for deer?
« on: June 15, 2009, 10:39:00 PM »
Ive been debating and debating but im pretty sure im going to purchase a new recurve. I want the Bear Supermag 48 I was thinking of getting it in a 55lb model but im thinking with a bow that short itel probably stack up and feel aggressive. So I suppose ill go with the 50lb model im just curious to those who have hunted with a low pound recurve what was your experience? I want something comfortable that'll penetrate a deer with no problem. My concern is up here in NY we have big deer I was told with a 45-50lb draw weight that on a bigger deer like a mature buck if I hit bone I could be in serious trouble. I plan to only shoot 20 yards but out of curiosity could a 50lb bow kill a deer at 30 yards? Looking foreword to your replies.
The Stuttering Bowhunter

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Is 50lbs plenty for deer?
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2009, 10:48:00 PM »
Can you hit your spot at 30 yards is the bigger question than if a 50lb bow can kill a whitetail.
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline 2Blade

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2009, 10:54:00 PM »
Not as consistently as id like to right now but its something to work on. Doesnt matter anyway ive already told myself 20 yards is my limit until I get some trad kills under my belt and can consistently hit that spot every shot.
The Stuttering Bowhunter

Offline Anaconda12

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2009, 10:57:00 PM »
I shot a 52 lb longbow last year with plenty of whop to kill seven deer and had a passthrough on all but 2 and they were quartering away and broke the off shoulder on one and the off leg bone on the other.  I agree being able to shoot it accurately is the most important factor in lethality!
Luck has nothing to do with it, just Boot leather and a GWP.

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2009, 10:57:00 PM »
Keep your shots to 20 yds and you can kill just about any big game animal in North America.50#'s, a well tuned arrow, and a sharp broadhead...your good to go!!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline tmccall

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2009, 11:00:00 PM »
Wellllllllllllllll...   I wouldn't take the 30 yard shot for a large variety of reasons.  However, I'm confident that ANY of my Dryad Bows (all longbows no recurves -- ranging from 48-55 pounds) has enough energy to easily kill at 30 yards.

IMHO The real question is can you get the arrow there before the deer moves enough to marginalize your chances of making a kill shot, even if you can hit your spot.
Tony McCall

Jesus.  There is no other name...  Acts 4:12

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2009, 11:03:00 PM »
And there you go.    :)
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline bob roberts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2009, 11:06:00 PM »
i've killed several whitetails with 45-46# recurves.  just use a decent broadhead and place your shot correctly.  a 45# bow will put an arrow clean through any deer in the woods.  50# will do the same.  accuracy trumps poundage every day imo.

Offline Arwin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2009, 11:06:00 PM »
I have killed 20 deer with traditional gear pulling between 47-52#'s. Heavy arrows and a razor sharp head works every time.   :thumbsup:  

Always remember, a bad placed shot with 47#'s is just as bad with 80#'s.   ;)
Just one more step please!

Some dude with a stick and string chasing things.

Offline 30coupe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2009, 11:14:00 PM »
A 45 pound bow, a sharp broadhead, and and accurate shot will kill deer in New York, Iowa, Canada...anyplace they have deer. If you shoot better with a 45-50 pound bow, that's what you should use. Arwin hit it exactly right. Place your shot well and you don't need a 55# bow for any deer anywhere.
Kanati 58" 44# @ 28" Green glass on a green riser
Bear Kodiak Magnum 52" 45# @ 28"
Bodnik Slick Stick longbow 58" 40# @ 28"
Bodnik Kiowa 52" 45# @ 28"
Kanati 58" 46# @ 28" R.I.P (2007-2015)
Self-made Silk backed Hickory Board bow 67" 49# @ 28"
Bear Black Bear 60" 45# @28"
NRA Life Member

Offline 2Blade

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2009, 11:48:00 PM »
Thanks guys I feel comfortable with the lower poundage. I was just wondering about the 30 yard thing just so I have an idea of what kind of power im pushing like I said I wont shoot at a deer over 20. Im happy to hear the lower poundage will do the trick itel make it easier to purchase the bow now
The Stuttering Bowhunter

Offline Arwin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2009, 11:51:00 PM »
Oh yes, it would plow right through a deer at 30yds. I think thats where kinetic energy and momentum come into play with heavy arrows. Scientific jibberish that I don't have time to explain,LOL!

Offline 2Blade

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2009, 11:55:00 PM »
Good to know have you guys ever hit any rib bones? If so did the broadhead just keep on goin?
The Stuttering Bowhunter

Offline Arwin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2009, 12:12:00 AM »
Sorry for all the pics, not trying to be a show off, just want to insure you that your set-up is sufficient.      :thumbsup:      
 The best demonstration I can think of was on a Russian hog. My arrow struck just behind the front leg, through those thick ribs, and poked out the other side. This was with a Checkmate Hunter recurve, pulling 50#@27, using an ACE 160 head and 55/60 chundoo shafts. You can see the blood trail from it behind and in front of me. Super sharp 2 blade!!

PLEASE keep images t0 640 wide or less

http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g128/ad2877/Harvests/hog1.jpg[/IMG]

Next is the buck I shot last year pulling 49#@27 on a RER longbow using Snuffer 160's and cedar 50/55 arrows. In right behind the last rib and out the armpit on the opposite side.

Here is one of the doe I shot last year with the same RER longbow , 49@27 Snuffer 160 and cedar shaft. Big, scary sharp broadheads make messy blood trails.

Last is the buck I killed in 2007, shooting a Shrew Sabertooth pulling 47#@27. I used a Snuffer 160 and cedar shaft. I shot down through the top of him and out it came through his chest with no problem.
 http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g128/ad2877/Harvests/Picture101.jpg[/IMG]

Offline 2Blade

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2009, 12:27:00 AM »
Thats all the convincing I need! Great animals Arwin and thats one heck of a hole on that doe! I aint got no worries now lol
The Stuttering Bowhunter

Offline String Cutter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2009, 03:30:00 AM »
I'll be using a 42@27 PSA BW this year. With GT 35/55's coming out to 480gr. After spending 2 whole days bare shaft tuning my arrows... Raising my brace a turn or 2.... adjusting my knock.... Until she's shooting like a lazer.. That's what I'll be hunting with this year. And ain't got a second thought about getting passthroughs. It's not the bow weight that kills . It's the arrow. I would rather have a 40#er very well tuned then a 60#er just so,so?? COME ON DEER SEASON!!!
Fatherhood is the greatest adventure a man can ever take.

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2009, 05:30:00 AM »
I have taken seven deer with traditional bows, all of the were under 50# at my draw. The last two I shot the bow was a 45# grizzly that I had the arrows tuned in right, they were both pass through s. Some Trad archers feel real good about taking 30 yard shots, I feel comfortable with my shots all under 20 yards. I would rather exercise patients than long range shooting skills.
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Offline Lechwe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2009, 05:37:00 AM »
Here's a 340lb Black bear killed with a 49# recurve. Complete passthrough with plenty of energy left to bury into a log 5 yards on the other side of the bear.

Offline James Wrenn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2009, 06:04:00 AM »
50lbs is enough weight to kill anything in the US and lots of other places.I don't consider 50lbs to be a light weight bow at all.If you can't kill a deer with a 50lb bow a heavier one is not going to help one bit.  :)
....Quality deer management means shooting them before they get tough....

Online Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2009, 06:20:00 AM »
as has been mentioned in this thread, it's accuracy and sharp broadheads that take game consistently.  bow holding weight is of far lesser importance.

for a trad bowhunter, you wanna get yer act together in this order ...

- spend most of yer time learning/practising to shoot consistently and accurately no matter the stance, location or weather.

- know yer effective/consitent kill range/zone and stay within its parameters.

- achieve consistently good, clean arrow flight.

- broadheads must be razor sharp.

there really ain't no more 'cept yer hunting skills and luck.
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©