3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: trophy animals  (Read 1109 times)

Offline James Wrenn

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: trophy animals
« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2009, 01:47:00 PM »
They are all just backstraps to me.A true trophy would have 4 instead of just two and I am still looking it.  :biglaugh:
....Quality deer management means shooting them before they get tough....

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2009, 01:54:00 PM »
More devils advocate.

Why does the "challenge" have to even enter in.  I hunt because that is what I do.  I bow hunt (as opposed to gun hunt)because that is what I would rather do. I don't feel that challenge is part of it.   I use a longbow or recurve because that is what makes me happy....  and sometimes I kill something and get some fine eating.

That's my take.  Y'all have another take on it.

ChuckC

Offline Brian Krebs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2009, 05:16:00 PM »
I seem to remember the shot more than the trophy.  I think as I get older; I hunt more for the shot - than anything.

When I was a kid; I saw Howard Hill shooting things with a longbow at the theater. Then I saw Fred Bear shoot a grizzly with his bow.

I am not an artist; I cannot take a pen or pencil and draw a picture.

When I saw Fred shoot a grizzly; and the arrow flying and connecting with that bear....I saw that shot as an artists stroke -connecting man and nature   :campfire:   .

Then when I read Ishis dying words- 'we will meet again in the flight of the arrow'. It really hit home.

I thought: 'if I am going to hunt; why not learn to do it in the way that it has been done for thousands of years' 'a way that is an art form'.

I looked at the old Fred Bear and saw a kind person that hunted; and did it in the purest way; and got an immense amount of pleasure out of it.

Why not work to end up in the same place?

We are connected to Ishi and all those that lived by the bow for food; and too; for the woodmanship; and the challenge.

I have seen the arc of my arrow into game animals; and it is a connection that does not in my mind warrant anything in between it- like sights; and such.

I have taken trophy animals; and I have taken many ones where the phrase " LOOK AT THE SIZE OF THOSE EARS!"  fit well into the scenario.

I will become totally absorbed when I see a trophy; but ... if I make a good shot on any game animal I am as satisfied as I can be with my hunting.
   :campfire:    :archer:
THE VOICES HAVEN'T BOTHERED ME SINCE I STARTED POKING THEM WITH A Q-TIP.

Offline Jake Fr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: June 16, 2009, 05:27:00 PM »
wow there are some great answers on here. To me a trophie is any thing that is worked hard for and the memories made at that time wether you get it or not. I have lots of trophies that i never killed

Offline larryh

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: June 16, 2009, 05:58:00 PM »
i've been killing things to eat for a lot of years. i've only shot bucks or bulls when it was not legal to take a doe or cow. i look for a barren doe when they are legal. best eating.
i have never taken a picture of a dead animal. i have taken some of an animal right before i killed it.
never have thought about the "trophy" thing. guess it doesn't interest me.

Offline BEN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: June 16, 2009, 09:50:00 PM »
The little doe in my avatar, the coyote last year----for me those were a bigger trophy than the 300#, 9pt buck I took with an X-bow back in school---way before I "saw the light" of Trad Archery!!
Ben
M.O.A.B  54# Thunderstick
Ancient Spirits 62# "Thunderhawk"
Browning Wasp 45#

"VEGETARIAN"----Old Indian word for "BAD HUNTER".

Offline razorsharptokill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: June 16, 2009, 10:19:00 PM »
Some times the trophy is the HUNT not the animal we take or do not take. I've only killed one animal with traditional gear. It was a spike deer that walked under my stand as if it was a  gift. At seven yards he stopped broadside and put his head to the ground on the opposite side from me by his front hoof. He was my first trad deer and I still consider him my best hunt.
Jim Richards
Veteran

USMC 84-88
Oklahoma Army National Guard 88-89
USMCR 89-96 Desert Storm
Oklahoma Air National Guard 2002- present. Operation Iraqi Freedom 2005(Qatar) and 2007(Iraq),
Operation New Dawn Iraq 2011,
Operation Enduring Freedom 2018 Afghanistan.
NRA Life Member.

Offline Doug S

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: June 17, 2009, 06:57:00 AM »
Some good stuff written above.
The hunt is the trophy!

Offline last arrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: June 17, 2009, 11:45:00 AM »
My experiance has been that hunters that regularly kill trophy animals with a compound or rifle, will with a traditional bow.  

As they say, the musics not in the guitar, its in the performer.  Do what makes you happy.
"all knowledge is good. All knowledge opens doors. Ignorance is what closes them." Louis M. Profeta MD

"We must learn to see and accept the whole truth, not just the parts we like." - Anne-Marie Slaughter

Michigan Traditional Bowhunters
TGMM "Family of the Bow"

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: June 17, 2009, 12:08:00 PM »
Many good and accurate comments here. I choose to hunt with traditional equipment because it is more of a challenge and gives me more time in the woods. Whatever I kill with my longbow/selfbow is a 'trophy' of sorts, even if it doesn't measure up to what the 'hunters' on TV would consider a trophy. I do it because I enjoy it; being in nature, watching animals, the comraderie of the hunting camp, watching arrows fly. I would get bored pretty quick if I was sitting in a tower with a rifle, but wandering the woods with bow in hand is a constant source of pleasure for me. Hunting rewards equate to how much effort you put into it, at least in my opinion. I shoot the bow just about every day, and enjoy the process. I hunt 'the hard way' because I get no enjoyment out of whacking a critter at rifle distances. I own several hunting rifles, but they haven't been out of their cases for years. If I was to kill a 350 bull elk with my 30-06 it wouldn't be a 'trophy' for me, but a fat cow or spike taken with longbow is. It is all in your priorities, and how you view what hunting is about.
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Offline buckeye_hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: June 17, 2009, 01:17:00 PM »
I have to agree with George and some of the other ideas already expressed.

There are a good number on this site alone who consistently take mature animals. Just because that guy doesn't know them, doesn't make him correct.

There are MANY "traditionalists" that consistently take mature game(I refuse to apply the term trophy to animals). Usually, an animal that is considered such is mature. Mountain man is right, these animals are easily recognized by everyone without any accompanying information. It's the big buck in the mist, the old alert doe, the regal 6 by 7 elk bugling in a valley or the 350 pound black bear eating berries. All mature, majestic and worthy of our admiration.

When I take animals/fish to the taxidermist to display in my home, it's in an effort to remember the hunt/fishing trip and those who were with me. I do not display trophies, but what I consider memories. I have little engraved placks under each stating the place, date and sometimes names of those involved.

My first bow killed big game animal will be mounted. It won't matter what it is, because it will be the memory attached to it that is my trophy. I will make sure to put it right out there where everyone can see it.

-Charlie

Offline BradLantz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: June 17, 2009, 01:26:00 PM »
know what a trophy means to me what dose it mean to you?or do you always get the big one?
a spike buck on public ground with trad equipment is far more the trophy than a 160" paid for ranch hunt with a compound

most people don't understand that though  :(

Offline John Nail

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: June 17, 2009, 03:47:00 PM »
here's what it means to me:                                                       Trophy

"Hey Guys! Come look at this dinky deer! Boy, I'd have passed on that one."
I couldn't hear their conversation all that well, but I knew it went over poorly with the young fellow who was checking it in at the State Wildlife area. I could see the color in his cheeks and his clouded, narrowed eyes.

I was helping out at the check station, having filled my tag early with a fat, mature doe. I wouldn't hunt them again until the late season when the bucks are trying to breed last year's doe fawns and the woods is empty of this crowd.

As we checked his little deer, he nervously told me his  name was Joe. He was from Columbus, and he said he had hunted deer for three years.  This was his first one and he was proud of it. I had some time to kill and I could see that he wanted to tell someone about the hunt, so I asked him to fill me in.

He told of the first couple of season's frustrations and close calls and tags that went unfiled.
He went into detail about how he had scouted and built a treestand from scrap lumber in the summer after work so it would be nicely aged by deer season. How he had cut shooting lanes just like it said in the magazines. He kind of got caught up in it and began telling  me about his father.

His father had been a hunter. A bowhunter.
He had been too young to go, but he remembered the sweet venison and how his father had loved hunting them before the war. "Dad would take a bite of his deer steak and say, That's God's own candy!" he said with a smile.

His father hadn't come home.

"Missing in action, presumed dead" was what the letter had said. His mother remarried after a time, but stepdads don't always make time for someone elses' kid.
He taught himself to hunt by reading everything he could get his hands on and spending his spare time in the woods.
He had to work his muscles into his dad's old Bear recurve, and make his own practice arrows with money earned working weekends and after school. He said he'd had an awful time learning to release, but had practiced daily, rain or shine, until he felt comfortable with his shooting. The other guys were busy with girls and their places in the pecking order, so he was on his own.

He said that as the deer turned broadside and he drew the bow, he could  feel his father there with him and I suddenly felt the need to wipe something damp out of my eye and  I   thought of my first deer--shot with a model '97 Winchester--so long ago I can't remember the exact year, and of the fox squirrel that was my first bow kill and the 42 lb. Kodiak special my father had given me.

We passed a few more pleasant moments in conversation before he left.
I was impressed with this young man.
He could have been out raising hell or on drugs but, despite the odds, he had taught himself to hunt- the hard way- out of love and respect for his missing father.

His "Dinky deer" was a trophy !
Not so much for itself, but for how the purity of it's spirit had mingled with that of a young boy's.
How it had helped him through some rough times.
How it had helped forge a man from a boy whom circumstance forced to grow up much too soon, and how it showed me that his big heart was indeed,
"God's own candy!"
John Nail
Is it too late to be what I could have been?

Offline Missouri Sherpa

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: June 17, 2009, 04:33:00 PM »
I would rather be able to hunt the last day of the season and go home with a tag rather than kill something just to be killing.  I have my standards and will pass up good shots on animals that need to grow a little.  A cow elk, any hog or a 2 year old blonde phase bear meet my standards, a 130 class or less whitetail or 12 inch pronghorn doesn't. I really like elk meat, but I am just not that fond of whitetail venison. Just depends on what I am hunting.  My trophy really is getting to go hunting, not the animal I take.

Offline Mike Gerardi

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: June 17, 2009, 04:41:00 PM »
Cool story John.

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: June 17, 2009, 05:03:00 PM »
Indeed John Nail.  Trophies of the heart are not easily seen by those on the outside.  You did good by listening and understanding that young man.  I would probably have opened my big mouth to the jackass giving him grief about it as well.
That deer to him was immense in quality for sure.
Good job.

Offline buckeye_hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: June 17, 2009, 06:18:00 PM »
I don't think  anthing else can top that story John. Not that you shared it for that reason. It simply and truly catches the spirit of why most of us are out there hunting and what it means to us.

-Charlie

Offline Brian Krebs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: June 17, 2009, 06:47:00 PM »
John - you 'Nailed' it.
THE VOICES HAVEN'T BOTHERED ME SINCE I STARTED POKING THEM WITH A Q-TIP.

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: June 17, 2009, 06:54:00 PM »
Way to go John.  You did the right thing and made that young man feel good about his trophy and the hunt.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: June 17, 2009, 08:04:00 PM »
I agree with ChuckC- I am not sure it has ever been about the "challenge" for me.  I really trad shoot/hunt because I have found great satisfaction in this "style" of equipment and hunting. I hardly ever remember thinking it was about the challenge- it was just economical and fun!

As far as trophies. . .I guess I do like to set the bar, but that varies depending on the situation.  I posted on another thread a couple of pics of the good deer I have taken here in KS. While they seem big for some of you- just remember the context-I live in KS (which is sadly changing dramatically!).  If most of you lived here you would probably do better than me.  On the other hand, I have a forky (barely-more like a spike with brows) that I took on a 3-day public land hunt up in MI with my son and a friend.  That deer is every bit a trophy and special memory as any deer.  Even the two does I took last year were special memories. . .

Gosh, the more I think about it, the more every animal I have taken has been magical for me. . .
If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat? ~anon

Bears can attack people- although fewer people have been killed by bears than in all WWI and WWII combined.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©