3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: How far will you shoot at deer????  (Read 1123 times)

Offline stick_string

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: How far will you shoot at deer????
« Reply #40 on: June 17, 2009, 10:24:00 AM »
Originally posted by Archery Mom:
My husband could make any shot any time any where!  hehehehehe!

:biglaugh:  

PS Stick_string is my hubby
Thanks baby.  The closer the better though.
stick_string

GEN 27:3 (its in the BIBLE!!)

Ember Longbow and Brack Drifter

Offline bohuntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: June 17, 2009, 10:35:00 AM »
3 yds on a spot and stalk mule deer buck was the closest. Lots of deer shot between 8 to 17 yds. My farthest shot was a second arrow shot at a doe after what I thought was a bad 1st hit ... unbelievably at 50 yds just drilled her perfect behind the shoulder, turns out she was hit good the 1st time and the 2nd shot wasn't necessary. As you can see from my signature line I totally agree with the sentiments expressed by others on this thread.
To me, the ultimate challenge in bowhunting is not how far away you can succesfully make a killing shot but rather how close you can get to the animal before shooting.

Offline SteveMcD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: June 17, 2009, 10:36:00 AM »
I don't really know for sure. As stated it is that area between too close and too far. It depends. Shot has to just feel right.
Someday you and I will take the Great Hart by our own skill alone, and with an arrow. And then the Little Gods of the Woods will chuckle and rub their hands and say, "Look, Brothers. An Archer! The Old Times are not altogether gone!"

Offline Landshark160

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: June 17, 2009, 11:12:00 AM »
My closest has been 1 yard from the base of my tree.  Think I have done that 3 times.  I've heard people say they don't like them real close, but I have never lost a deer I've shot inside 5 yards and have shot 10-12 in that range.  To me, the ideal distance is 7-10 yards.  I'll take a 20 yarder, but don't really like them even though it's a gimme shot in the backyard.  The 9 deer I killed last year were shot at 4, 5, 5, 7, 7, 7, 9, 12, and 17 yards.  Average = 8.1 yards

This is from a couple years back at 1 yard with a Simmons Tree Shark.

Chris
>>>>--------------->

The benefits of a big broadhead are most evident when things go wrong. - CTS

Offline bayoulongbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: June 17, 2009, 11:14:00 AM »
27 yds is the most ......the closest 12 steps quatering away...  :wavey:
"If you're living your life as if there is no GOD, you had  better be right!"

Offline buckeye_hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: June 17, 2009, 12:45:00 PM »
I don't have a deer with a trad bow yet, but I actually would have killed a few if I hunted with a spear. LOL

Been face to face (2-5 yards) with at least 4 deer. Never could draw on any them.

-Charlie

Offline stick_string

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: June 17, 2009, 05:05:00 PM »
I have had a couple under my stand but could never get a shot...I was using my training wheels at the time....  :rolleyes:
stick_string

GEN 27:3 (its in the BIBLE!!)

Ember Longbow and Brack Drifter

Offline wollelybugger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: June 17, 2009, 08:02:00 PM »
Three yards off the ground. It was my first buck and with a Hill longbow.

Offline Hojo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: June 17, 2009, 09:18:00 PM »
This past season, I shot a little 7 point at 5 yards.  I was standing amongst some cover in the middle of a fencerow and he came walking along the edge of it.  It was my first trad kill and it was with a selfbow that I had made myself.

Offline Boone the Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: June 17, 2009, 11:10:00 PM »
I think i'd just have to ask how far can you shoot with confidence, and there you go, for me it's about 25 yards
Love the Lord, love your wife and kids, work hard, hunt harder

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: June 17, 2009, 11:49:00 PM »
I`ve killed several pigs I could have touched with my bow. I`ve shot deer under me from the tree. Closest shot on a deer from the ground was around 10 yards.RC

Offline twitchstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: June 17, 2009, 11:56:00 PM »
My closest was about 4 yards as I was passing up a wide 2x2 at 2 yards out of a natural ground blind.As for long distance with trad gear maybe 20 yards this year on a bear.With wheels and no sights it just might scare you(not a bragging right).But my biggest animals have all been under 20 yards.Once after tagging out I poked a small buck in the hide end with the tip of the arrow on his bed asleep dust went everywere!

Offline Joseph

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: June 18, 2009, 06:35:00 AM »
For me the closest has been 6 yards on the ground with a Black Bear and my longest was 28 yards at a running whitetail doe.  The brain said shoot and I did perfectly!  Every other big game animal I have shot has been about 20 or less.  Missed 2 feet over the back of a Duiker that was only 8 yards away.  That was embarrasing      :rolleyes:   it's even on film.  I just try not to think about it and shoot when my brain tells me to    :thumbsup:   The more I think about it the worse I usually screw it up.  Joseph
"Politicians are like diapers, they need to be changed often and for the same reason"

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: June 18, 2009, 08:29:00 AM »
The closest was about 3 feet from the tip of my arrow... whitetail buck.

Have killed some pretty long range stuff that had been hit previously at close range. Which is why I practice at 50-60 yards and beyond during shooting sessions.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline Morning Star

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: June 18, 2009, 09:11:00 AM »
The buck in my avatar was killed at about 8 feet as he was directly below my stand when I let the arrow go.  I've killed a good number of deer like that, not to big of a deal if your in a stand I don't think.

Last Fall I killed an old doe at 5 yards while sitting on the ground.  That'll get the ol pumper goin.
Iowa Bowhunters Association - Your voice in Iowa's bowhunting and deer hunting issues!

Offline DELTA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: June 18, 2009, 12:08:00 PM »
How far will i shoot at a deer?If everything is right im good for 50 yards.I have never shot at a deer at 50 yards but i do practice a lot at that distance.The longes shot i have taken on a deer was 35 yards,the closes was 7 yards.Closer the better.  :thumbsup:
JIM BELLEVILLE

Offline Mo. Huntin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: June 18, 2009, 12:59:00 PM »
Now I got to look like a jerk. I have been on several blood trails for buddies who shot straight down on a deer trying to break the spine.  Guess how many times that worked out NONE.  Not on the ones I have been on.  Does it happen? yep sure does.  Animals can live on one lung and that is likely on straight down shots.  I hope you can see why this is a hot button for me, 3 good bucks wounded, 65ish pound compounds. I am not going to tell you you cant shoot that shot but I do not want new hunters to think this is a good idea.  Now if you are on the ground go for ultra close.

Offline Landshark160

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: June 18, 2009, 01:47:00 PM »
Straight down shots don't usually mix well with compound shooters using sights due to the mechanical offset.  A top pin set for 20 yards will hit 3" low on an 18' vertical shot every time.  Guaranteed bad deal.
Chris
>>>>--------------->

Offline Mo. Huntin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: June 18, 2009, 03:16:00 PM »
way to harsh.

Offline Landshark160

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: June 18, 2009, 03:24:00 PM »
Best advice on any shot...if you don't know you can make it, don't take it.
Chris
>>>>--------------->

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©