3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Best Climbing Stand For Traditional Archery????  (Read 635 times)

Offline tmccall

• Trad Bowhunter
Best Climbing Stand For Traditional Archery????
« on: June 16, 2009, 11:20:00 AM »
A long time ago I bought my first, and only, climbing stand. It was an API Grand Slam and it has served me faithfully for more hunting seasons that I care to count. It's still in excellent shape and is, by far, the most comfortable way to spend 12 hours in a tree. I have absolutely no complaints about this stand and could continue to use it for many more years.

However, it is difficult, if not impossible to shoot my 62" Dryad Orion, or any of my other longbows, in the stand without first standing up.  I simply can't spend the whole time standing and it never seems to fail that as soon as I sit down, the deer decide to visit my little corner of the world.  I have been, for several seasons, contemplating replacing my faithful, trustworthy, comfortable stand with one that is a little more "friendly" to a bow hunter.

My wife and I celebrated our 16th wedding anniversary a week or so ago and she told me that, as a gift from her, she'd like me to be able to acquire that new "bow hunting" stand. She gave me $250 in Bass Pro Shop Gift Cards. (Did I mention that I love that girl!)    :jumper:    

I figure I can spend another $50 to $100 over that if I need to. But I've been looking at climber's that are geared specifically to bow hunters and I'm not sure which one to get. My main concern is an open front so I can shoot easier. I'm also partial to the sit and climb method of my current stand.

The only stand I can find that fits that description is the API Alumi-Tech Star. It has more than what I'm looking for but weighs over 30 pounds!

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/st...003000_425-3-0  

I'm just wondering if any of you have any recommendations. What stand do you use for a climber? Does anyone have any experience with this particular stand? Etc...
Tony McCall

Jesus.  There is no other name...  Acts 4:12

Offline Zbearclaw

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Best Climbing Stand For Traditional Archery????
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2009, 11:29:00 AM »
I was a hardcore climber hunter until I tried the Lone Wolf Appha hang on.  I goes on the best tree, not the best tree that will work with a climber, and I have shot out of it sitting many times, though obviously if a deer comes in behind you sitting is not an option.

I believe they started making the seat more comfy, as well as a larger platform.

Otherwise one of the bowhunting mags had some reviews recently, Petersons Bow or Bowhunting.  The reviews in mags are always good regardless of whether the product is, but you can get an idea of what it may look like and whether it may fit the bill.

Also for deep in stuff out west I found the tree saddle last year and it is great.  Way more comfy than i would ever imagine and though I haven't bloodied it yet, it will get some use in the mtns later this fall.  For public land it is hard to beat as with all the climbing steps and such weighs only a few pounds.

Good luck
Give me a bow a topo and two weeks, and I guarantee I kill two weeks!

Offline rod251

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2009, 11:46:00 AM »
If you can trade the Bass Pro cards to some buddies, fellow TradGangers, what have you, for cash, visit the Treewalker website and get the SL model for around $280.  Then go to the auction site and get a Molle backpack kit for about $30.  I did just that last season and I promise you that I have bought the last climber I will ever need.

The SL is advertised as a handclimber, but mine came with the removeable front bar for the sit-and-climb method.

Offline tmccall

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2009, 12:35:00 PM »
What about this one:

Summit Razor SS  Has the same sit and climb feature but is 10 pounds lighter.

Has anyone ever used this one?

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_79361_425003001_425000000_425003000_425-3-1
Tony McCall

Offline NightHawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2009, 01:05:00 PM »
ol man sit and climb. it has an open front and a weight rating of 400 lbs

http://www.olmanoutdoors.com/stands/climbers
1) Gen. 21:20
And God was with the lad, he grew, and he dwelt in the wilderness, and he became an archer
2)The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline BowHuntingFool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2009, 01:19:00 PM »
If I ever went back to a climber from my LW Alpha, I would be going to a Lone Wolf hand climber! Awesome stand!
>>>---Joe Bzura---->

Big River Longbow 66" 52# @ 28"
Big River Longbow 66" 47# @ 28"
Big River Longbow 62" 52# @ 28"
Big River Recurve 60" 48# @ 28"
NewWood Longbow 58" 45# @ 28"

Wisconsin Traditional Archers
      Ojibwa Bowhunters

Offline maineac

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2009, 01:50:00 PM »
I use a summit viper.  I could shoot sitting down with my compound, but can't with my recurve, so I stand and keep the upper part low.  If I get the cash to replace it I would go with the razor.  I really like the summit system and seat is super comfortable.
The season gave him perfect mornings, hunter's moons and fields of freedom found only by walking them with a predator's stride.
                                                              Robert Holthouser

Offline tmccall

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2009, 02:18:00 PM »
Originally posted by maineac:
I use a summit viper.  I could shoot sitting down with my compound, but can't with my recurve, so I stand and keep the upper part low.  If I get the cash to replace it I would go with the razor.  I really like the summit system and seat is super comfortable.
Thanks for your input.  I'm leaning towards the Viper SS.
Tony McCall

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2009, 03:30:00 PM »
I have several Lone Wolf hang ons and a Lone Wolf hand climber.  I use them all, depending on the situation(s).  The hand climber is light, very quiet and quite sturdy.  I find the seat very comfortable as well and often sit that stand dark till dark during the rut.

Offline NoCams

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2009, 03:55:00 PM »
Viper if the hike is 3/4 mile or less. Guidos Web if further than that. The Guidos web has a built in pouch on the back like a game bag. I store my treestraps, bolts, and woodpecker drill in that. Simply grab the Web, put it on like a backpack and head to the woods.

nocams  :coffee:
TGMM  Family of the Bow
"Failure to plan is planned failure"

Offline GMMAT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2009, 03:57:00 PM »
I would never buy a Viper SS as my go-to trad bowhunting stand.......and I own one (have for 4 years).  Great stand.  Comfortable.  Not the easiest to pack or shoot a trad bow out of (for me).

Best?  I'd get the LW hand climber (there's one in the classifieds, right now, for a steal).  The LW sit and climb I have works nicely, since I can put the bar out of the way.

I climbed 90+ times, last year alone.

Good luck.

Offline tmccall

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2009, 04:16:00 PM »
Originally posted by tmccall:

Originally posted by maineac:
Thanks for your input.  I'm leaning towards the Viper SS. [/b]
This was a mistake.  I'm leaning towards the Razor SS.

The Razor is like the sit and climb Lone Wolf with the climbing bar that rotates out of the way but it costs much less and is a few pounds heavier (weighs 20lbs.)
Tony McCall

Offline tmccall

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2009, 04:17:00 PM »
Originally posted by GMMAT:
I would never buy a Viper SS as my go-to trad bowhunting stand.......and I own one (have for 4 years).  Great stand.  Comfortable.  Not the easiest to pack or shoot a trad bow out of (for me).

Best?  I'd get the LW hand climber (there's one in the classifieds, right now, for a steal).  The LW sit and climb I have works nicely, since I can put the bar out of the way.

I climbed 90+ times, last year alone.

Good luck.
My bad.  I meant to say that I was leaning towards the Summit Razor SS which is an open front sit and climb stand.  I'm not crazy about the idea of a hand climber.
Tony McCall

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2009, 06:39:00 PM »
LW handclimber...hands down

most other stands are hard to shoot out of standing, let alone sitting with a trad bow....
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline maxwell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2009, 07:19:00 PM »
lone wolf sit and climb are handclimber

Offline albertan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2009, 08:17:00 PM »
Several years ago I was really interested in a self climber and called most of the major companies for advice and such.  Talked at length with the then owner/designer Andre from Lone Wolf.  I liked his no pressure pitch, his guarantee of my satisfaction, the reason he designed his own, the technical and design features, compactness, tree grabbing strap and braces, etc.  I ordered his Sit & Climb model and have used it extensively.  SUPER stand.  I did have problems with shooting my 62" recurve out of it sitting down but with my other 56" models - no problem.
Brent
2015 Alberta Bowhunters Assoc. President

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2009, 08:28:00 PM »
maxwell?
Curt } >>--->   

Offline wihill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2009, 04:05:00 AM »
The Lonewolf climbers pack down MUCH smaller and tighter than the Summit stands do.

A guy I hunt with swears by his Summit Razor, and I'll give it to him, that thing is hands down the most comfortable stand I've sat in for the long haul.  The downside is that it doesn't pack down very well, and he ends up clanging and dragging half the forest to his stand site.  More than once I had to pick branches out of the climber loops so we could continue on.

The LW climber series was not designed for comfort, they were designed for hunting.  I've got a tough rear end, and after 4+ hours on the LW stock seat, I'm sore.  A simple upgrade like the Gorilla airride seat, or replacing the stock thin Sit-n-Climb seat with the Summit seat works wonders if you're in it for the long haul.

I have a LW Hand climber, and to me it's only fault is that the seat doesn't lift up to give you the full real-estate of the platform.  Consequently, be aware of your feet and have a good harness on.  You just can't beat a climber that weights 14# and is only 3.5" thick on your back walking in though...

The LW Sit-in-Climb uses the same platform, but seat and bar can be pushed back with your leg as you stand up, giving you the full platform.  The cost is a bit more weight for some luxury.

In the end, find which stand suits your hunting style best - if you move or go in deep, get a LW.  If you pick your spot and wait it out, get the Summit.
Support the sport!

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2009, 07:42:00 AM »
The LW hand climber does fold out of the way if you use it the way they used to recommend to use it....

I don't like the new stands with the straps that connect the top hand climber to the platform. Well I should say I don't care for the straps...stands are fine!

I don't have the straps on mine and use a bungee around the tree hooked to the belt on the back of the tree. With the bungee tight on the tree and hooked to the back of the belt that allows the hand climber to be folded flat down against the tree and out of the way. Giving me the whole platform to stand on....

When I see a deer...as I'm standing up, I just flip the seat up in the same motion...and I have access to the entire platform if needed and it gets the handclimber out of the way of the bottom limb....

Like I said, that's the way they used to recommend.....
Curt } >>--->   

Offline James Wrenn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2009, 08:26:00 AM »
The straps on the LW hand climber locks the stand in place as solid as a regular lock-on.I love the way they work and to me the stand is squirrely without them.

Just like with bows there is no perfect stand for everyone.I like the light weight and easy carry of the LW but can not shoot behind the tree with it like I can my old buckshot stands.Nothing climbs as easy as the Buckshots either.I use my old heavier Buckshots if I am not going but several hundred yards and use them in places where it I might leave a stand in an area for a few days.With the longer hunts and one time trips the LW always goes.There could well be better stands out there and I have bought many over the years but these two serve my needs pretty good.
....Quality deer management means shooting them before they get tough....

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©