3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Does footing a shaft = less penetration?  (Read 503 times)

Offline buckeye_hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Does footing a shaft = less penetration?
« on: June 16, 2009, 05:54:00 PM »
Anyone notice less penetration on shots with footed shafts?

I shot a groundhog two days ago and hit him perfect into his ribs. I used a field point thinking it would be fine since a .22 cal does plenty of damage in my past experience.

I was disgusted with myself when I watched the groundhog trot away with just the slightest bit of the field point stuck in his ribs.

I checked my arrow after it fell out and I got maybe a quarter inch of penetration.

I'm sitting here second guessing like crazy.

Was it the footing creating a slight ridge around the field point that equaled such poor penetration?

Anyway you cut it, the animal suffered and I didn't get the job done. He is still alive eating clover, but that doesn't make me or him feel any better.

I'm thinking this wouldn't even be an issue if I had put a broadhead out front. I want to make sure I'm right though. Wounding animals is flat out unacceptable and this is the 3rd time I have hurt(non-fatally) an animal due to some mistake on my part. I can't have this happen again.

Should I only use footed shafts for stumping?
-Charlie

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Does footing a shaft = less penetration?
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2009, 06:09:00 PM »
Man it has nothing to do with a footed shaft....it's all about the fact that you didn't use a BH!
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline Blake Dustin Adams

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2009, 06:32:00 PM »
It makes me question:

Does the added mass and FOC actually aid in penetration?

Online Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2009, 07:00:00 PM »
Sounds like your footing is too thick, i.e., too large diameter if it forms a wood collar behind the point.  A hardwood footing on a softwood shaft increases penetration.  As Guru said, you used the wrong head.  Are you sure your arrow didn't hit the ground before it hit the chuck?  That will play havoc with penetration as well.

Online Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2009, 10:43:00 PM »
I won't shoot a field point at any animal... no shock and no cut.
Lighter animals like a chuck are pushed a little by the arrow when it impacts which... in this case that's what killed the penetration.

Rabbits and ground squirrels are about the only thing I'll use a blunt on. Every thing else gets a broadhead.

Unless you're shooting a fairly high energy set up, stick with broadheads for critters and your disappointment level will be greatly reduced.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline Jason R. Wesbrock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2009, 10:50:00 PM »
I won't belabor the issue of shooting groundhogs with field points. Live and learn. That nowithstanding, you should have gotten a field point all the way through a groundhog without a problem.

Yes, a broadhead is the correct choice for that particular species, but your lack of penetration was from some other reason. I think Orion may be correct about the possibility of your arrow striking the ground before the animal.

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2009, 11:33:00 PM »
Shall we ask THE question; maybe a new thread? Is 40# really enough for Groundhogs?

Offline IB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2009, 11:41:00 PM »

Footed AD Heavy and a  VERY SHARP WOODSMAN

Offline Jason R. Wesbrock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2009, 12:25:00 AM »
Originally posted by Bjorn:
Shall we ask THE question; maybe a new thread? Is 40# really enough for Groundhogs?
:biglaugh:

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2009, 08:45:00 AM »
Ive had bunnies suck up blunts and fieldpoints and run off.I know how tough g-hogs are from shooting them with all manner of weapons and now I refuse to miss them with anything other than a broadhead.If price is an issue use cheapies.As long as theyre sharp they should cut enough muscle and organ tissue to slow em down enough for you to catch up with them before they go to ground.Once you catch up to them, well good luck they tend to be viscious rodents.

Offline James Wrenn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2009, 08:56:00 AM »
If the footing makes the shaft larger than your point then yes it can and will hurt penitration.Sound like yours is that way from your desciption.If that is the case you need to always buy larger sized points to match up with the diameter of your footing instead of your shaft diameter.Will save damage on your targets as well. jmo
....Quality deer management means shooting them before they get tough....

Offline Bert Frelink

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2009, 08:57:00 AM »
Yes, absolutly!!!!
You should gather up ALL your footed shafts and send them to me so they can be disposed of in an appropriate manner.
  :eek:    :eek:    :eek:
Take care, Bert.

Online Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2009, 09:50:00 AM »
Bjorn: I have a friend who knows of someone who has a cousin whose 8-year old son watched a friend of his get a complete passthrough on a groundhog with a kids bow and rubber suction cup point.  It's all in the arrow placement, any poundage will do.   :bigsmyl:

Offline buckeye_hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2009, 11:14:00 AM »
From one Charlie to another...Thanks Charlie and Curt too.

I'll make sure in the future I don't do anything else to embarrass or damage traditional hunters or hunting in general.

There can't be too many more mistakes one guy can make.

-Charlie

Offline buckeye_hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2009, 11:21:00 AM »
Bjorn,

Funny you should say that. My bow is only 43lbs and believe me I thought about that. Even considering selling it immediately and going to a 52# bow.

My thinkiing is that the additional poundage might have made the difference when a mistake was made.

I hear time and again, shoot the heaviest bow you can shoot well. It is nice to have the insurance if you make a mistake.

Even though I have had some elbow tendonitis and shoulder injuries, I am still tempted to push my poundage up for "insurance" purposes.

It would be worth it.

-Charlie

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2009, 12:57:00 PM »
Charlie, on a serious note 43# to 52 is a huge jump in poundage and my guess is it will inflame your elbow and shoulder. Those injuries never really go away completely.
The problem with the groundhog was what Charlie and others said. I shot one once with a FP too-not the right too for the job, and not a very satisfying event; but the temptation was just too much for me to handle at the time. I feel so much better now.

:p

Offline buckeye_hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2009, 01:24:00 PM »
Thanks Bjorn. Next go-round, broadheads will fly and I'll be trying groundhog filet mignon for the first time! I have heard it isn't half bad.

Maybe I'll only jump up to 48lbs or so?

-Charlie

Offline crossstickspro

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2009, 07:47:00 PM »
Originally posted by Orion:
Bjorn: I have a friend who knows of someone who has a cousin whose 8-year old son watched a friend of his get a complete passthrough on a groundhog with a kids bow and rubber suction cup point.  It's all in the arrow placement, any poundage will do.    :bigsmyl:  
:clapper:    :biglaugh:
Crossstickspro, Not my name ... more of a goal

Offline martin guy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2009, 10:12:00 AM »
43# is WAY too much, you need 34#, wait for a lunar eclipse, and the earth to spin backwards, then you will zip right through!! j/k    :bigsmyl:
If your arrow only penetrated 1/4" I would suspect arrow flight and arrow tuning, I have shot my wifes 40# with an aluminum footed carbon arrow through two sheets of 1/4" plywood and a stockade type fence. (yes I missed    "[dntthnk]"   )

Andy

Offline SlowBowinMO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2009, 10:36:00 AM »
Originally posted by buckeye_hunter:
There can't be too many more mistakes one guy can make.

-Charlie
Now you've done it!  :knothead:  

:D    :D    :D    :D
"Down-Log Blind at Misty River"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©