3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: right handed left eye dominant  (Read 480 times)

Offline hydrasport205

• Trad Bowhunter
right handed left eye dominant
« on: June 16, 2009, 09:06:00 PM »
just curious to see how many of us are out there. and are you comfortable with your shot?? meaning  being right handed and left eye dominant  or left handed and right eye dominant??

Offline Red Boar

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: right handed left eye dominant
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2009, 09:09:00 PM »
I fall into the category of being right handed and left eye dominant.  I've only been into trad equipment for a short while, but I have a problem with shooting left of where I think I am aiming.  I've wondered if it is a result of being left eye dominant.  Any thoughts?    :confused:
Treadway "Black Swamp"
Super Shrew
'62 Kodiak Magnum

Offline hydrasport205

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2009, 09:12:00 PM »
i had the same problem how i fixed the problem for me was to caint to bow meaning lean the bow to the right and lean your head into the bow and anchor at the corner of my mouth

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2009, 09:18:00 PM »
Hello. My name is Killdeer and I am cross-dominant.
I miss sometimes.   :rolleyes:  

Killdeer   :archer:
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline saltwatertom

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2009, 09:22:00 PM »
I'm  a right hand shooter and left eye dominant. I've been shooting trad so long (since I was about 8 years old), ( yikes thats almost 50 years now!!!!) that I wouldn't know the difference. I can shoot passable left handed tho too.
"There is always luck about, for those willing to look for it"

Offline Peckerwood

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2009, 09:23:00 PM »
I don't have a doninate eye .  Some things I do right hande and some left. I struggled with my shooting for a long time and I still miss sometimes.  :rolleyes:  

Bill
NO matter where you go there you  are !

Offline Bear Heart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2009, 09:27:00 PM »
I am one of those right handed but left eye dominant mutants.  I shoot left handed.  The choice was made even easier by my torn up right shoulder.
Traditional Bowhunters of Washington
PBS Associate Member
Jairus & Amelia's Dad
"Memories before merchandise!"

Offline broketooth

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2009, 09:30:00 PM »
ive been left eye dominant all my life , its something im still working on overcoming. ive just had an eye exam , dr. says my eyes are equal in strength . its just something some of us has to deal with. i shoot alot so its something i always work on. ive tried a new aproach , not worrying about which eye is mor dominant but i guess you could saymore of knowing what the arrow is going to do when it leaves the bow.also slowing down the shot process. concentrating on the the one spot and not the whole target. and trying to be concistent in my form.plus it helps with the people you shoot with.id say with in the past few months my shooting has improved alotive been fortunate to be in good comany with a few members of tg here in nc and they are great shots.and i guess some of their habits have rubbed off so to speak.even though i shoot primitive and they shoot glass bows i strive to keep up with them in freindly competition.it helps to find more expereinced fellas to shoot with, they may have some insight on how to help you improve, freindlyand constructive crititcism can be a great educational tool. ive learned alot. i would suggest you find localfellas who are in tg to shoot with.there are so many here at tg that are willing to help others improve, it keeps our sport alive and thriving. keep at ityou can adjust and overcome it just takes some diligent work  :archer:
" you have done well to keep your hair when so many are after it"

Offline Oregon Okie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2009, 09:42:00 PM »
i'm left eye dominant and mostly right handed. I just do some things left handed and didn't know why. I shoot guns, bows, pool (billiards) tie my shoes?? (somebody told me that once?? .. left handed Didn't know why until I did the eye dominance test years later. I've also read (and I'm sure you have) that eye dominance shouldn't matter if you are shooting "instinctive".
"Don't believe everything you think" - bumper sticker

"Savage Blaster" - 50@31 - 63" (recurve I made with Steve Savage)
Firefly TD longbow - 50@31 - 63"
7 Lakes double shelf from a blank - 45@31 - 66"
Trident ILF w Blackmax carbons - 42@31

Offline hydrasport205

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2009, 09:51:00 PM »
you are right it doesnt matter  which eye is dominant if you are truly instictive. I guess thats why i can compensate so easy..

Offline Bob Sarrels

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2009, 09:54:00 PM »
I am left eye dominant and shoot right handed.  I think I was right eye dominant early in life but due to an accident at a car wash at age 25 my right eye was injured and had to wear a patch for about 3 weeks.  When the patch came off I was left eye dominant.  I still shoot right handed but have to cant the bow and lay y head over.  I wear glasses now and I see the target thru the top of the left lense.  I cannot hold long because my eyes start arguing about who is in control.  Guess I am a bit cross dominant.  I built myself a light weight left handed bow and tried to learn to shoot left handed but it was fruitless.  Felt like a monkey hunpin a grilled cheese sandwich.  I could barely get the arrow on the sting.  I shoot ok as is so I think I will stick with it.  The brain is an amazing thing if you give it the chance.
Now then, get your weapons ~ your quiver and bow ~ and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.  Gen. 27.3

Offline RPolk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2009, 10:00:00 PM »
I'm right handed/left eye dominant.

All of the experts will tell you it doesn't matter when shooting instinctively. Obviously I'm not an expert because I shoot much better since I started shooting left handed.
"These Longbows are cool" Eli age 7, while stumping in the back yard

Offline goblism

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2009, 10:13:00 PM »
I shoot left-handed even though I am a righty, left-eye dominant.  Every archer I have talked to that has switched from shooting right handed to left-handed due to their eye dominance have said it is the best thing they have ever done.  So I just started out shooting left-handed

Tell you what, those right-handed shooters shoot really funny, heck it is weird to pull a bow back with my right hand...weirdos

Offline GoBow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2009, 10:48:00 PM »
Shot cross dominate for 35 yrs, left eye, right hand.  For most of that time I didn't know or care about my dominate eye.  But I can tell you that even though I was a pretty fair shot, it was never as well as I should have shot.  If I was using sights and closing my left eye,I could shoot from as far as I wanted and get tight groups.  Instinctive, well not too bad, but always wanted it to be better.

Turning point came after reading an article in TB by G Fred A, I knew it was time to switch.  Sold most of the RH bows, bought a lefty and haven't looked back.  Left eye and left hand for me now!

« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2009, 12:20:00 AM »
I am right/right but I know a local archer who is one of the best traditional shooters in Texas who shoots right handed and is left eye dominant.

Bisch

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2009, 11:27:00 AM »
Jay Kidwell's book on Instictive Archery suggests (not everyone will agree) that if you're shooting instictive, as said above, the arrow is using bi-nocular vision so eye dominance shouldn't matter.

I've been left dominant and unlike some of you ambidexterous folks, I can't wipe my nose left handed ...Dominance changed in my 40's I guess. Not the best shot, but it has to do more with other form issues than eye dominance.
The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline FubarFred

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2009, 11:34:00 AM »
Due to a knucklehead on a cell phone I had to change to left handed shooting. I'm as right eye dominent as you can get. With that said, and as I shoot instinctive, the only problems I have are holding the bow and not removing skin layers each time I shoot.
TGMM Family of the Bow
Traditional Bowhunters of MD
MD Bowhunters Society
Bowhunters of South Carolina
UDT/SEAL Association

Offline bayoulongbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2009, 11:47:00 AM »
This has been hammered time to time , but Im right handed,lefty eye dominate. Switched few years back and it has really brought back fun again to me. It took me about 3 months shooting lefty , lighter bow to start, a really light bow. after 3 months every thing started feeling natural to me . Now, it wasnt a first , but I never gave up. Man Im glad I dint!!!!pick spot.. :)I can shoot heavier weights now if I want to also. The big plus is increased my yardage I can shoot as well ...go LEFTIES..longbows rule!!!  :thumbsup:
"If you're living your life as if there is no GOD, you had  better be right!"

Offline Bowana

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2009, 01:16:00 PM »
Left handed, right eye dominate. Been shooting this way for about 40 years. I just look at what I want to hit.

Offline aYak

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2009, 03:13:00 PM »
Left eye dominant, right hand shooter (at the moment), but I've been working on being the natural lefty that I am, and I miss all the time no matter which way I shoot   :D
TGMM Family of the Bow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©