3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Hunting with your wife  (Read 812 times)

Offline Archery Mom

• Trad Bowhunter
Hunting with your wife
« on: June 17, 2009, 09:54:00 AM »
Hi guys!  I am new to Tradgang, and the proud wife of stickstring on here.  I have a question for you...
If you were to take your wife on a hunt (and she agreed to go) where would you want to take her and why?
Thanks!

Offline DCM

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Hunting with your wife
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2009, 10:02:00 AM »
Do I have to bring her back?

LOL, just kidding.

I'd take her on a shotgun bird hunt, like a nice dove field perhaps.  Maybe a guided quail hunt.  Exciting, lots of activity, relatively brief (out for lunch and back for a pm hunt). Usually the weather is not bad in the fall (doves) or early Spring (quail).  And I know she is comfortable with a shotgun, and loves the little 1100 youth model I bought for her decades ago.  One close enough we can be home by bedtime.

If you are looking for ideas, for bowhunting in particular, you might get a copy or two of a bowhunting magazine.

Offline Archery Mom

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2009, 10:07:00 AM »
I don't care for shooting guns too much, but that does sound like a good hunt, I know bird hunting is exciting.

I really would like to get a traditional bow soon, and my dream is to take down an elk...right now we have two small children, but I know one day we will hunt together!

Online rastaman

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2009, 10:09:00 AM »
Wherever she wanted to go!  :)   Also, it would depend on if my wife actually wanted to go to the woods with me or do something on her own.
i have taken my wife on a couple of trips where she went horseback riding while i went hunting.  Lots and lots of possibilities!
TGMM Family of the Bow

:archer:                                               

Randy Keene
"Life is precious and so are you."  Marley Keene

Offline stick_string

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2009, 10:27:00 AM »
I have to go with rastaman on this one....

I will take you where ever you want to go...whenever!!  Just let me carry the camera.   :thumbsup:  

(It would probably be smart of me to watch this thread)
stick_string

GEN 27:3 (its in the BIBLE!!)

Ember Longbow and Brack Drifter

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2009, 10:33:00 AM »
Anywhere, anytime.  However, if you want to begin preparing for your western hunt with the hubby, and maybe the kids, probably best to start with small adventures -- day hikes, overnight camps, maybe three-four day hiking-camping excursions where you can learn and practice outdoor and orienteering skills.  Then you'll be able to hit the ground running when you do your first western trip.  Good luck.

To answer your question, I believe I'd take her on a do-it-yourself western mule deer or elk hunt.  Weather and scenery is just beautiful in the rockies in September.

Offline Takedown

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2009, 10:50:00 AM »
Stick......Are you sure you want to go down this dangerous path?????  If your wife is like most women, she will have much more patience than you...sharper eyes.....at least as much determination.....better endurance for being uncomfortable on stand.....and very like be a have better hand eye coordination than you, making her a better shot! If you dare to get her involved, be prepared to eat some humble pie my friend.  Sigh.........

I sure wish I could get my wife interested in bowhunting with me!!! LOL... Good luck man, no doubt she (and you)will enjoy every minute together:)

I envy you!
Harry.

Offline smokin feathers

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2009, 10:56:00 AM »
I started out taking mine for small game and varmints and then deer, and now she is hunting all over the country with me or by herself. She went to Nunavut after caribou with 8 other women last year and is hunting in pike co with another group this year. We just came back from a canadian bear hunt and she loved it.

I created a monster!! 2 actually because my 11yo daughter is way worse than her momma and has taken more game to boot!
Smoke

TGMM-FAMILY OF THE BOW

Offline pronghorn23

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2009, 11:19:00 AM »
I'd also say wherever she wants to go.

Some ideas-
Hog hunt...usually good action. Can spot and stalk and oberve the local flora and fauna.

Pronghorn hunt-sitting in a blind can make for a long day, but you'd get good close up encounters. Plus being in a blind you can relax and not worry about being so still.

Turkeys-Same as above. Being in a blind you can move around if you have to, bring a book if your bored. Plus hard to beat a sunrise with gobblers gobbling all around

Small game-rabbits and javelina would be fun in Texas.

Offline koger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2009, 11:41:00 AM »
Wherever we would have fun! My wife and I hunt together,doves, rabbit and other small game, woodchucks and coyote with rifle, deer with archery, rifle and muzzleloader. She harvested her 14th deer last year, usually 2 a season. In Oct. we are going elk hunting, she drew a bull elk tag here in KY, and she is stoked!! She has always been fascinated by elk since they were restored here, I entered myself and her in the $10 lottery, and she got drawn. I have built a custom .270 for here and she shoots it weekly to get used to it. We have had some great times sitting in the blinds, popup and natural drinking coffee while it snowed, wathcing foxes play around 30 feet in front of us. Her first time out bowhunting I put her in a natural blind, and in 2 hours she had shot a big 11 pt. we had never saw, her biggest deer to date. We have been married 28 years on July 3rd, gets better all the time. I usually tag out early, so I end up spending a lot of time in the blind with her, and when she connects on a deer, I get more excited than she does, which is plenty. The main thing is we keep it simple, enjoy the time afield and each others company.
samuel koger

Offline stick_string

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2009, 11:59:00 AM »
Originally posted by Takedown:
Stick......Are you sure you want to go down this dangerous path?????  If your wife is like most women, she will have much more patience than you...sharper eyes.....at least as much determination.....better endurance for being uncomfortable on stand.....and very like be a have better hand eye coordination than you, making her a better shot! If you dare to get her involved, be prepared to eat some humble pie my friend.  Sigh.........

I sure wish I could get my wife interested in bowhunting with me!!! LOL... Good luck man, no doubt she (and you)will enjoy every minute together:)

I envy you!
Harry.
OH yeah...with open arms.    :knothead:
stick_string

Offline IndianaBowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2009, 12:09:00 PM »
Depends on what makes the wife happy and what they like. I took my wife on a 10 day drop camp for moose in the AK wilderness and she loved it. Wasn't too keen on the "no shower" part, but had a great time anyway. Then last year I took her on a really cush hunt in Africa. She said she liked them both about the same?

Offline nurayb

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2009, 02:33:00 PM »
My wife does not hunt, but I did take her antelope hunting a couple times and she had a great time and was pretty excited when we got into the animals.  She was always asking me, "Are you going to shoot that one?"

Offline ken denton

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2009, 03:17:00 PM »
Take her to Colorado in Sept. and hunt elk if you can afford the license, and if not get a varmant license and get out into the forest in the aspens. It is the most beautiful time af the year there and shirt sheeve weather. Camp out in the mountains and have a wonderful time! If she does not have a bow, get a light one for her and just go and stump shoot each day. Nothing can be more fun! (married 50 years on July 11) and headed for Colorado on our aniversity. Ken
"Arrows into the wind", What a wounderful sight!!!

Offline illianabowhntr67

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2009, 03:48:00 PM »
My wife has been on a few whitetail hunts with me but she really wants to shoot a pig.So I guess we're going pig hunting.

Offline northener

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2009, 03:59:00 PM »
I agree with Orion, baby steps first, then walking, then running. Nothing replaces experience, gained by just plain doing it yourself.

This is a wonderful sport, to be enjoyed a life time, with friends and family and it sounds to me, now would be a perfect time to get a bow, especially with small children sitting by in the wings. Archery/bowhunting is THE perfect family sport.

BTW. I fully agree with a Co. do-it yourself elk/mulie combo hunt, for the whole family. Once you experience the mountains in the fall, you will always want to return.
Intellectuals solve problem, geniuses prevent them

Offline PAPA BEAR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2009, 04:00:00 PM »
i would like to take my wife with us on the trad ganger elk hunt in 2010(we need a cook)but shes not fallin for it  :bigsmyl:
IT'S NEVER WRONG TO DO WHATS RIGHT AND NEVER RIGHT TO DO WHATS WRONG.....LOU HOLTZ

Offline stick_string

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2009, 04:31:00 PM »
Her brother lives in Durango, CO and we have played with going up there to visit.  Might have to take the bows too!! (once I get her one).

:archer:
stick_string

Offline jhg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2009, 08:22:00 PM »
I would take her where I could make love to her in the quiet of the Aspens in the afternoon. The rest of the time we'd hunt hard... so I'd take her hunting in Colorado.

Joshua, just sayin'
Learn, practice and pass on "leave no trace" ethics, no matter where you hunt.

Offline zipper bowss

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2009, 08:34:00 PM »
Fall bear hunts are usualy laid back hunts,with a great chance of seeing game.No need to get up real early either.There is plenty of time to do other things before the evening hunt.THe place Tracy and I go in MN. does not have a problem with bugs or black flies,so it is a great hunt that we both enjoy.There is also an oppertunity to make it a combo hunt adding deer to the mix.
Bill

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©