3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Cedar arrow stain ?  (Read 163 times)

Offline John Krause

• Trad Bowhunter
Cedar arrow stain ?
« on: June 17, 2009, 12:31:00 PM »
I bought some burnished Rose City cedar shafts at Cloverdale.  After looking at them I didn't think they would stain good. I used a dark walnut stain on one shaft and then lightly sanded one with 320 grit to roughen it up a bit and then stained it. They both stained about the same, very light.

Any ideas?
When a man shoots with a bow it is own vigor of body that drives the arrow,  his own mind controls the missile's flight......His trained muscles and toughened thews have done the work

Offline pronghorn23

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Cedar arrow stain ?
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2009, 12:34:00 PM »
I had a tough time staining cedar shafts too.

I tried dark walnut alcohol based stain from 3 Rivers...works great.

I sand them lightly before applying.

Offline Raminshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Cedar arrow stain ?
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2009, 09:15:00 PM »
Analine will not work well with the "burnished" shafts from Rose City.  Why?  Because they are using the old "Acme" machinery to perform the burnishing and with that process they have to use a lubricating agent with that machinery that partially seals the shaft.  I would suggest a water based "stain" that you can get from any Home Depot.  You can apply this and let it dry and then use a water based poly as final coats and you should do well with that.
Keep flinging those shafts!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©