3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: new woodsman bh  (Read 663 times)

Offline spike buck

• Trad Bowhunter
new woodsman bh
« on: June 17, 2009, 01:00:00 PM »
I recently purchased a pack of the 150 screw-in and decided to give them a shot. Nice looking and seem to be well made, but they whistle like crazy! Anyone tried these yet and do they scream like mine? Thinking of trying a two blade w/o vents to see if they are quieter. Keep in mind I'm not used to larger fixed blades so maybe they all make some noise. Would like to hear what some other seasoned folks have to say.

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: new woodsman bh
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2009, 02:40:00 PM »
I have the glue on version and found the very same thing and it spins perfect....never noticed anything but a slight hiss for the originals......maybe it's the split vent?
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline J-dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2009, 02:58:00 PM »
I am the opposite the originals whistle like crazy and the new ones still whistle but not as bad? I have already knocked the tips off of two of them. I need some more weight in them though - my arrows are not liking them at 225 (approx - no grain scale)

I do not know - might be thinking something different.

J
Always be stubborn.

Captain hindsight to the rescue!

Offline LONGBOWKID

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2009, 03:08:00 PM »
I dont have the new ones, but I do have a few of the old models, and they whistle as well. Not like Snuffers though! Geez! Those sound like a train headed through the woods.
Turkey Creek Longbows
60" 46#@29"
62" 51@29"
62" 61#@29"
62" 77#@29"

Holm-Made Osprey
60" 67#@29"

Offline leatherneck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2009, 03:19:00 PM »
I look at it this way, it lets my game know he is about to be "SNUFFERIZED". Sorry I know this was a woodsman post but I couldn't resist.
I have never had the noise from my snuffers bother game. At least none that I can tell.
“I can accept failure, everyone fails at something. But I can’t accept not trying"

Proud shareholder of MK,LLC

Offline Ringneck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2009, 11:59:00 PM »
Hmmmm, I have some on order that are glue on. My originals might have had a slight hiss like Curt mentioned but it was minimal. Hopefully the new ones I get will be ok. Snufferized sounds cooler than Woodsmanized     :cool:

Online ozy clint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2009, 01:50:00 AM »
if they made a lead in and lead out in the vents i don't think they would make any noise. JMHO. not that i've ever used them
Thick fog slowly lifts
Jagged peaks and hairy beast
Food for soul and body.

Border black douglas recurve 70# and 58# HEX6 BB2 limbs

Offline Gatekeeper

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2009, 08:30:00 AM »
Here is a quote from Gene on the issue of the Broadhead hissing and how to fix it.

Originally posted by Gene Wensel:
As Randy just said, any hiss is usually caused by air hitting the back edge of the vents. If they are on true, air should not cause a hiss. Put a little Vaseline on the back edge of the vents of those that hiss and see if there is a difference. One other reason is if your arrows are not spined quite right and air hits the vents due to less than perfect arrow flight.
For the entire thread go here.
 http://tradgang.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=072540

I used the search command to find this information and the search words I used were Woodsman hiss.
TGMM Family of the Bow   A member since 6/5/09

“I can tell by your hat that you’re not from around here.”

Casher from Brookshires Food Store in Albany, Texas during 2009 Pig Gig

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2009, 10:19:00 AM »
I wondered if the edges of the vents were rounded off if that would change things.I had also wondered if tune had something to do with it since you hear different results from different archers with the same broadhead.

That new head sure is good looking.It seems like quite a value for one machined from a solid piece of steel.

When they make those,do they keep the Teflon out of the inside of the glue on ferrule?

Offline spike buck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2009, 10:51:00 AM »
i'm going to try the vaseline idea and will report back.....

Offline James Wrenn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2009, 11:02:00 AM »
The more spin in your arrow the more noise you get from vents.When I first got WWs I read post about the noise and thought the posters were nuts.Mine were as quiet as feild points.Got new arrows some time later and could not believe how my arrows sounded.The first dozen was fletched with a slight offset 4" the second had 5" with a very tight helical fletching.The difference in sound was unreal between the two.If you want to quieten them down some get rid of the high back helical feathers and go with a lower cut and fletch them straight or slight offset.The woodsmans are small enough you don't need much of a feather on a tuned shaft anyway. jmo
....Quality deer management means shooting them before they get tough....

Offline Mo. Huntin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2009, 01:19:00 PM »
When I am deer hunting with mine I usually hear a blowing, snorting sound and I never see any deer.  Maybe it is the wind blowing through the vents on the blades.  I will try some vaseline.

Offline josef2424

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2009, 01:39:00 PM »
what if you filed down the sharp edges in the vents
Carnivores.....UNITE!!

Online Adirondack Bowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2009, 06:47:00 PM »
years ago when I shot Snuffers I couldn't get them from hissing so I would put scotch tape over the vents and trim the tape  just slightly bigger then the vents. Made them deadly silent.

Offline Rocky Reimer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2009, 08:38:00 PM »
I have the 150 grain screw in Elite Woodsmans...have shot them with several arrow and fletching combinations...they have the most hissssssing noise that I have ever heard in a broadhead

Offline daveycrockett

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2009, 09:45:00 PM »
Funny I got my Elite screw on today and hear nothing when I shoot them. Sound the same as my unvented Magnus 2 blades.

Offline Rocky Reimer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2009, 10:07:00 PM »
I put my Magnus 2 bladed heads on the same arrrows as the Elites and the Magnus heads barely make a whisper....the Elites sound louder than a mother Canadian Goose hisssssssing at you when you get near her babies

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2009, 08:31:00 AM »
A thin coating of vaseline on the blades, making sure you "cover" the vent edges should solve your problem.
The best things in life....aren't things!

Offline spike buck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2009, 08:44:00 AM »
tried the tape and it helped. It had too much tape on there for my liking though after covering up both vents on each blade.

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2009, 08:48:00 AM »
In the real events of life, and pondering the universe in general, I find hissing broadheads just an interesting aside.

Whichever broadhead you intend to use this year; hissing, screaming, squawling, or just a quiet one like I use, get them on your arrows and get used to them.  Time's a wastin' folks.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©