3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: new woodsman bh  (Read 662 times)

Offline tmccall

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: new woodsman bh
« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2009, 12:48:00 PM »
I never noticed a hiss on my old WW.  I'm looking forward to trying the new ones...
Tony McCall

Jesus.  There is no other name...  Acts 4:12

Offline daveycrockett

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2009, 12:50:00 PM »
My new ones do not hiss, or I'm deaf. One or the other.

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2009, 01:08:00 PM »
I've been shooting WW since 2000....the older one's barely made a hiss......but the new one I have without a doubt whistles all the way to the target...
Not a great big deal, but I wish it didn't   ;)
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline Rocky Reimer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2009, 02:45:00 PM »
I am not deaf....my Elites hisssss....my Magnus heads and 220 grain 4 blade Phantoms are way more quiet....BUT.....there is only one degree of dead no matter what broadhead you choose to use.....

Offline J-dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: June 19, 2009, 09:48:00 PM »
I think you can get them closer to that degree of dead when you are not telegraphing the fact you are trying to make them that degree of dead! LOL

I might try to cut down the helical and just see if that works. Still have some old ones will try themn as well.

While I am trying to quiet them I will keep the file on the grizzes!

J
Always be stubborn.

Captain hindsight to the rescue!

Offline Rocky Reimer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: June 19, 2009, 10:08:00 PM »
LEGAL.....ETHICAL.....SCAREY SHARP..."The Only Way To Go"

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: June 20, 2009, 06:36:00 AM »
Originally posted by Rocky Reimer:
LEGAL.....ETHICAL.....SCAREY SHARP..."The Only Way To Go"
:confused:    :help:
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline Benny Nganabbarru

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: June 20, 2009, 07:06:00 AM »
I like Woodsmans, too, but darn! My camel skeletons and a heap of other feral skeletons just got up and walked away!   :bigsmyl:  

There are lots of ways to go!   :archer:
TGMM - Family of the Bow

Offline Ringneck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: June 21, 2009, 12:51:00 AM »
Any suggestions from the 3 Rivers guys who are reading this? Bump to the top.

Offline TradOnly

• Trad Bowhunter
    • Life Insurance Agent
« Reply #29 on: June 23, 2009, 08:24:00 AM »
I've used them with my longbow and my recurve into layered foam from 10 to 25 yards and they whistle all the way to the target.  As near as I can figure it seems to come down to rotation speed.  I've worked hard to get my arrows to spin as much as possible for stability and with the Elites it seems to be a detriment.  I think selling them to get a quality 2-blade is my best option.
Martin Savannah Longbow 50# @ 29"
Martin Savannah Stealth 55# @ 28"
Griffin Takedown 52# @ 28"
Easton Bloodline 330

Offline COMBER

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: June 23, 2009, 10:54:00 AM »
I shot one of the Woodsman Elites and I thought my 3d target was going to duck the arrow. I love the design of the head but something needs to be done about the "HISSSSSSS". There are too many great heads out there to have to worry about doctoring up your broadheads to quiet the down. I've shot snuffers and they also have a slight hiss but nothing close to the woodsman elite I shot. The first thing I do when I shoot any broadhead is make sure it spins true.
Just my opinion,
                Jake
TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline Boomerang

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: June 23, 2009, 11:53:00 AM »
Well guys it's like this. Any time you have a perferated object spinning in the air, you will have a certain amount of noise associated with it. We tried beveling the edges and that did not make any difference. They have been tested in 3 Rivers lab and do not make as much or even less noise as the originals. The only way to make them slightly quieter is to remove the rib between the two vents, but that would just create a weak spot for the blades to cave in. A little noise in a broadhead isn't going to make or break hitting your game seeing how your bow being shot is going to be the loudest part of the whole process. I think you will find that with this design, you will not need a whole lot of fletching to steer you arrow. A minimal amount of rotation equals a minimal amount of noise.
The only way to eliminate almost all noise is to not have any venting which increases the weight to 175 gr. minimum. Which the ventless ones are in the works 175 and 200 gr., but for the ones that want 125 and 150 gr. they have to have vents.

Thanks,
Boomer

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: June 23, 2009, 12:51:00 PM »
175 and 200 grain?  That sounds like my perfect broadhead!  Can't wait to see them  :thumbsup:
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline James Wrenn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: June 23, 2009, 01:46:00 PM »
Maybe if they make them bigger like a snuffer they won't be so loud.  :D  

I read in the other thread that the WW noise issue had been disscussed at length and addressed when building the new heads.From reading this thread and others on different websites it sounds like it was just dismissed instead of addressed.  ;)
....Quality deer management means shooting them before they get tough....

Offline Ringneck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: June 23, 2009, 04:06:00 PM »
Originally posted by James Wrenn:
I read in the other thread that the WW noise issue had been disscussed at length and addressed when building the new heads.From reading this thread and others on different websites it sounds like it was just dismissed instead of addressed.  
+1

Offline elkbreath

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: June 23, 2009, 06:02:00 PM »
So, any chance the 200 grain will be a glue on?  
Any chance they'll be available for sept this year?
77# @ 29.5 r/d longbow homer
80# @ 29.5 GN super Ghost

Offline IronCreekArcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: June 23, 2009, 10:26:00 PM »
Originally posted by Ringneck:

Originally posted by James Wrenn:
I read in the other thread that the WW noise issue had been disscussed at length and addressed when building the new heads.From reading this thread and others on different websites it sounds like it was just dismissed instead of addressed.  
+1 [/b]
Make that +1 more...
We do not rise to the occasion.  We fall to our level of training.

Offline IronCreekArcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: June 23, 2009, 10:35:00 PM »
So in past posts it seems I have been looked upon as CRAZY in saying that the WW's and Snuffers Hissed in flight.  I have to say that it feels good to be vindicated, validated or whatever.  In my testing and standing down range the bow noise is definitly quieter than the hissing broadhead.  The heads may kill game but I sure would hate to telegraph my shots and maybe give the animal an opportunity to move or jump resulting in a poor hit.  Deadly quiet in the bow and arrow setup is the only way to go IMHO.
We do not rise to the occasion.  We fall to our level of training.

Offline Boomerang

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: June 24, 2009, 06:35:00 AM »
Guys,
The noise issue was adressed in the new broadheads and it was kept to a minimum, but I don't care what broadhead you shoot as long as there are vents you are going to have a certain amount of air noise. The real question is it affecting the quantity of game taken or is it just bothering the shooter? Personaly I believe it is the shooter seeing how many game have been taken with vented broadheads over the years. :saywhat:

Thanks,
Boomer

Offline TradOnly

• Trad Bowhunter
    • Life Insurance Agent
« Reply #39 on: June 24, 2009, 08:24:00 AM »
I would love to check out the 175 grain non-vented head.  That seems to be the best way to go.  I have some bodkins that fly great and are deadly silent.  My only wishes for them are a narrower profile and a solid piece design.
Martin Savannah Longbow 50# @ 29"
Martin Savannah Stealth 55# @ 28"
Griffin Takedown 52# @ 28"
Easton Bloodline 330

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©