3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Better eye glasses for shooting/hunting?  (Read 512 times)

Offline High Knob

• Trad Bowhunter
Better eye glasses for shooting/hunting?
« on: June 18, 2009, 09:42:00 AM »
Anybody have suggestions for picking a good pair of eyeglass frames for bow hunting/shooting? Right now I am plagued with glasses slipping down my nose, fogging, and slight obstruction from the frame (as I peer out the corner of my right eye). I lived with these issues for years now and can’t help but feel that a change in frames might help. I have been looking at some of the eyewear that US troops are wearing and wonder if perhaps they might some application for hunting.

(Lasik would probably do the trick but is not something I would like to pursue.)

Offline slivrslingr

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Better eye glasses for shooting/hunting?
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2009, 09:54:00 AM »
You might look at getting a pair of perscription Oakleys.  Since they are made for sports, they fit closer to the face than regular glasses, won't slip and are designed not to fog.  Sometimes I forget to take my Oakley sunglasses off when I start shooting and don't seem to have any issues although I do end up taking them off since I won't be hunting with them.  I'm guessing contacts won't work for you?  Good luck, it must be terribly frustating for those of you who need glasses to shoot.

Online swp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2009, 02:13:00 PM »
Contacts!
"People say you can't go back, its like when you get to the edge of a cliff and you take one more step forward or you do a 180 degree turn and take one more step forward. Which way are you going? Which one is progress?" Doug Tompkins

Offline 30coupe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2009, 02:20:00 PM »
Originally posted by swp:
Contacts!
X2...they don't fog. If I forget to put them in, the glasses fit nicely in the pocket of my Hunter Safety System    ;)  Luckily, I can still shoot without them if need be. If you can't, get contacts.
Kanati 58" 44# @ 28" Green glass on a green riser
Bear Kodiak Magnum 52" 45# @ 28"
Bodnik Slick Stick longbow 58" 40# @ 28"
Bodnik Kiowa 52" 45# @ 28"
Kanati 58" 46# @ 28" R.I.P (2007-2015)
Self-made Silk backed Hickory Board bow 67" 49# @ 28"
Bear Black Bear 60" 45# @28"
NRA Life Member

Offline John Scifres

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2009, 02:58:00 PM »
I agree that, if possible, you should get contacts.  I went for years thinking I couldn't handle contacts in my eyes since I have allergies and can't stand having a foreign object in there.  And then I tried them.  It's a whole new world.  Overall, they are not any more expensive either.
Take a kid hunting!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline dragon rider

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2009, 04:26:00 PM »
Depending on how much the dollars are a factor, sporting goods stores used to sell a strap the the ends of the temples slid into and then you could adjust the tension to keep your glasses from sliding down your nose - back before my new titanium knees I had great luck with them playing tennis.  "Cat Crap" is reasonably effective at preventing fog, but if that's a constant problem then contacts are the way to go.
Don't meddle in the affairs of dragons; people are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Jim Wright

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2009, 06:40:00 PM »
I wear wire frame glasses that do not have nose pads, the wire frame simply wraps over the bridge of my nose. For archery there is a big advantage in having the lenses closer to your eyes and though I was initially skeptical, these have proven to be absolutely comfortable! I never give them a thought when shooting and the ones I have happen to be Brooks Brothers but there must be others.

Online Burnsie

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2009, 06:49:00 PM »
laser surgery
"You can't get into a bar fight if you don't go to the bar" (Grandma was pretty wise)

Online ksbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2009, 08:10:00 PM »
Contacts work for me.I had always worried about the reflection off the lens as well as the fogging.Contacts or lasik are the answers.  Ben
I would've taken better care of myself,if I'd known I was gonna live this long!

Offline BOWMARKS

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2009, 08:40:00 PM »
A flexable strap , all eye glass stores have them as well as Kmart and Walmart .
Kanati Long Bow 56"-45#@27"
Hoot's Long Bow 56"-45#@27"
Shrew Classic Hunter 56"-47#@28"

TGMM Family Of The Bow
United Bowhunters of Penna.
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline Red Beastmaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2009, 09:24:00 PM »
I thought the answer was contacts so I got some last winter. They worked great until my hayfever kicked in a month ago. I don't have allergies in the Fall so I should be good to go. I'll try them again.

In the meantime I have a pair of distance glasses I wear without nose pads. Work pretty good.
There is no great fun, satisfaction, or joy derived from doing something that's easy.  Coach John Wooden

Offline jdemoya

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2009, 12:48:00 AM »
Get you a pair of RayBan shooting glasses. Take the lenses off and have your eye person get you your prescription mounted on that frame. That is what I did about 20 years ago when my sight started to deteriorate. I just had my eye doctor put prescription lenses on them. They have many advantages over contacts, protection being the most important. They ride high in your face, they are big and still you never touch them when you anchor. The lenses can be tinted to protect you from the sun. I had been using single prescription corrected for distance only, but I got tired of changing glasses when I needed to read anything. Last year I had them make me new lenses with a small area in the bottom corrected for reading. Best thing in the world.

God bless,

Jose

Offline bigislandmark

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2009, 03:59:00 AM »
Aloha,

I'll echo the contacts if you can wear them.

As glasses go, if you want a larger area to see through, you might want to check out Decot shooting glasses. They have large lenses that are removable from the frame, the nose piece is adjustable so you can move your glasses up or down,comes in different lens colors and come with cable temples that wrap around your ears.

Mark

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2009, 08:58:00 AM »
Son, you have your head turned way too much if you have to "peer out the corner of your eye."
  :saywhat:    Both of your eyes should be looking a the target.

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2009, 04:47:00 PM »
I agree with George. I wear glasses just plain normal ones and have no problem shooting with them.

I do feel the pain of fogging up or just being out in the rain and still being able to see. I`ve been checking into laser surgery and if not going that route I`m gonna try contacts.RC

Offline Brian Krebs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2009, 06:58:00 PM »
if your drinking or eating anything with aspartame in it to sweeten it - STOP.

I went from needing glasses to hunt; to not needing glasses.

Far as contacts- my Granddaughter said it best: "first Grampa you have to convince yourself to use contacts......and then you have to convince your eyes !"  She was right; I have the strongest eyelids in the nation; and I couldn't put them in.....
THE VOICES HAVEN'T BOTHERED ME SINCE I STARTED POKING THEM WITH A Q-TIP.

Offline Problem Child

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2009, 11:11:00 PM »
I've been shooting with my new glasses lately and really like them.They're a little larger than my old glasses and they don't have the metal rim on the lower part and they are also the anti-glare glass.
"Right Wing Extremists"....has a nice ring to it don't it?

Offline Mojostick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2009, 11:15:00 PM »
When you go to the eye Dr, have them take wrap around sunglass frames and make them into your "shooting" glasses, with a clear lens. You'll never have to worry about the string and your glasses again. In fact, Columbia Sportswear makes a great matt silver finish sunglass frame that I own and suggest.
You can't make the string hit your glasses if you try.

Offline David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2009, 12:43:00 PM »
Hopefully you have an eye care professional who has some idea of the needs of sportsmen. My son is an optometrist and enjoys helping hunters find just what will work best for them.  Be sure to tell your eye doc what you need and "illustrate" your problem--after you consider George's advice   :)
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Online smokin joe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2009, 02:28:00 PM »
Contacts.
I went with soft contacts about a dozen years ago. No fog. No problems in the mist or rain. I don't knock them off. They don't slip around. Other than the need to carry some cheap drugstore reading glasses in my pocket so I can read fine print, there doesn't seem to be a down side to contacts. AND, I do shoot better with them than I did with glasses -- probably because I see better.
Give them a try. You won't be sorry.
Joe
TGMM
Compton
PBS
Trad Gang Hall of Fame

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©